By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - So did MGS4 fail to meet expectations?

The average sales of the first three MGS titles was 5 million, not including spin-offs and Xbox versions.

MGS4 is tracking to come in to around 4 million lifetime according to VGChartz, unless it sees ungodly sales during the holiday period, or bundling (of which it has already had a great deal).  Given this title had an enormous budget compared to previous titles (even when taking account of the progression to the next generation), did MGS4 fail to meet its sales expectations?

Note:  Due to Sony moneyhatting, and solid sales of the game, I am positive Konami made a reasonable amount of profit on the game.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network

No way. I think that MGS4 will pass 5 million in the end. People are forgetting about "Christmas" and "Platinum".

I doubt it. Thinking back to all the prediction threads, 5 million seemed to be the expected minimum for the majority of MGS fans.

Now that number is in severe doubt, even with heavy bundling. And thats ignoring the very common 6-8 predictions.

Met my expectations just fine. I didn't personally expect it to get the full sales it got on PS2 simply because of the ginormous user base difference, but we'll see if MGS4 can catch up in the future, it's still got a long time.

The title is showing impressive legs ( better than GTA4 actually) so it's way too early to determine final sales...

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

Around the Network

Oh starcraft at it again.

Ail said:
The title is showing impressive legs ( better than GTA4 actually) so it's way too early to determine final sales...

GTAIV's legs have been a bitter disappointment though.  Remember they didn't meet TT's expectations?

mgs4 is kind of the best game on the ps3,from what ive seen this is pretty common knowledge.the game isnt anywhere near stopping in sales since people who buy ps3s will continue to buy it.

It did meet expectation, so it didn't fail, it should outsell mgs3 by the year's end.
Also it should get a nice boost since it will become a greatest hit, and push slowly to 5 mil mark.

starcraft said:

The average sales of the first three MGS titles was 5 million, not including spin-offs and Xbox versions.

MGS4 is tracking to come in to around 4 million lifetime according to VGChartz, unless it sees ungodly sales during the holiday period, or bundling (of which it has already had a great deal).  Given this title had an enormous budget compared to previous titles (even when taking account of the progression to the next generation), did MGS4 fail to meet its sales expectations?

Note:  Due to Sony moneyhatting, and solid sales of the game, I am positive Konami made a reasonable amount of profit on the game.

I'll do what you always do when people say MS moneyhats (which they are actually known for)

Got proof?