By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Final Fantasy XIII Tops Most Wanted List In Japan

Final Fantasy XIII Tops Most Wanted List In Japan

There have always been distinct differences between the Japanese and American personal preferences in the world of video games, and that's always evident when Famitsu releases the country's most anticipated titles.

The latest edition of the popular Japanese gaming publication lists the top 15, and Americans would wonder why Grand Theft Auto IV isn't an easy #1. Capcom will release the game in Japan next month, but as you can see, it's just not on the top of the Japanese priority list. Final Fantasy XIII sits firmly in the #1 slot, and that's hardly surprising. Final Fantasy Versus XIII falls in at #9, and both are well ahead of GTAIV, which barely makes the list at #13. Not surprisingly, Resident Evil 5 is in the top 3, and there's an obvious Nintendo and RPG presence. Here's the list:

• 1. Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
  • 2. Dragon Quest IX (DS)
  • 3. Biohazard 5 / Resident Evil 5 (PS3)
  • 4. Dragon Quest VI (DS)
  • 5. Super Robot Taisen Z (PS2)
  • 6. Monster Hunter 3 (Wii)
  • 7. Chrono Trigger (DS)
  • 8. The Last Remnant (PS3)
  • 9. Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3)
  • 10. Pokemon Platinum (DS)
  • 11. Animal Forest (Wii)
  • 12. Dissidia Final Fantasy (PSP)
  • 13. Grand Theft Auto IV (PS3)
  • 14. Star Ocean: The Last Hope (Xbox 360)
  • 15. Tales of Hearts (DS)

Well, many here in the U.S. can't wait for FFXIII, either, although titles like Monster Hunter 3 and Pokemon Platinum likely aren't anywhere to be seen on the radar. But no matter; it's an inside look at Japanese gaming habits, and in all honesty, perhaps we could use a bit of that over here. ...although we still wonder why games like Resistance 2 and Gears of War 2 just aren't as enticing in the Land of the Rising Sun.

9/15/2008 Ben Dutka

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/3778.html

Personal note: As a former diehard FF fan, I am a little weary of FFXIII because of the recent previous releases.  But from what I've heard of Versus, I hope this brings back FF for what it was.

Hackers are poor nerds who don't wash.

Around the Network

the japan wnats their PS3 games....
I'm probaly going to buy all those PS3 games, all those Wii games, and all those DS games. uh, except GTA, i don't ever want a game in that series.

versus is nine?????????????????????????????????????????????
they have to change the name otherwise most people will think of it as a stupid spin-off

wheres the wii games?

Wow, Sony is lucky to have Final Fantasy XIII exclusive in that region.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Around the Network
blackstar said:
they have to change the name otherwise most people will think of it as a stupid spin-off

But that's what it is: a spin-off.

Ahem. What I find interesting about this is that DQ usually beats FF in Japan (even though FF beats DQ everywhere else). This is an interesting role reversal.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Millennium said:
blackstar said:

Ahem. What I find interesting about this is that DQ usually beats FF in Japan (even though FF beats DQ everywhere else). This is an interesting role reversal.

A spinoff developed by a very talented team (thanks for KH2, btw), and with a high budget. Doesn't sound like much of a spinoff.

On topic: the PS3 has a hell of a spike coming its way.

It's been sitting at the top of my list for quite some time :)

So it should be PS3 domination soon in Japan!

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Xen said:
Millennium said:
blackstar said:

A spinoff developed by a very talented team (thanks for KH2, btw), and with a high budget. Doesn't sound like much of a spinoff.

On topic: the PS3 has a hell of a spike coming its way.

Please don't get too exited about the Famitsu Most Wanted list. It represents a very small and hardcore part of Japans gaming population, it has been proven time and time again that it hardly predicts any sale success.

That being said, if FFXIII remains PS3 exclusive in Japan it will definitely boost the sales, but probably only for a small period.