By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will a Euro price cut help MS turn the tide?

According to the news I just posted we will have a 360 pricecut in Europe late september, will this help microsoft hold off or pass PS3 in sales?

Will it have long term effects or only shortterm?

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=1994

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

Short term effect. Gamers already jumped on the last price cut. It was already cheaper than the Wii. Price was never a factor for the 360. Who would expect another one so soon? People will probably think they are killing their console to get another one out like last gen

now cue the damage control

I dont think it is doing bad in Europe at all.

Just recently A guy from MS said it was selling like hotcakes.

The last price cut provided a temporary boost, but its long-term effects weren't enough to "turn the tide" as it were. I'm thinking the same thing will probably happen this time, UNLESS Microsoft takes immediate steps to change its image in Europe. Image, rather than price, seems to be the 360's problem outside of the U.S.

surely they cant be making money on this

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network
woopah said:
surely they cant be making money on this

They might be just at the point where they are making nothing out of selling the system but if say half the people that buy a 360 get XBL they will be fine plus if people get DLC that cost money they will make more. Or mabey i am totally wrong lol.

OT: Yes i think this could change the tide and keep the 360 ahead in others expessially this chrismas.

Proud Owner of  a Wii and Xbox 360 and a PS3(When I get the money)

No one really bothers checking sales data before posting, do they?

The Xbox 360 hardly "spiked" when the price dropped in Europe. It began to consistently sell well above normal trends - both before the price cut, and YOY versus last year. The X360, day and date, has sold 100% more units than last year.

http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=X360&reg1=Total+Other&cons2=PS3&reg2=Total+Other&cons3=X360&reg3=Total+Other&start=39334&end=39698

Overall, the issue is that the price cuts have indeed helped the X360 become a far better competitor in Europe than it was. Problem is, the Playstation 3 and Wii are doing much better as well, which is hurting the X360's case in Europe: What's better? Selling 100% more units when your competitors are still winning, or selling a low # of units, but so are your competitors?

IMO, the price cut will help the X360 become more competitive in Europe. Weather or not it beats the PS3/Wii for any period of time, I feel may be doubtful, but it's going to help. Even if the X360 has a small increase in trends vs. what it has been, it may be enough to allow the X360 to beat the PS3 worldwide this Christmas.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

This won't help the 360. It will only be seen as a cheap brand.

I think it would sell 100,000+ in Europe and 100,000+ in America with the price cuts. The ps3 will be overwhelmed. Sony would be forced to cut prices...

toastboy44562 said:
I think it would sell 100,000+ in Europe and 100,000+ in America with the price cuts. The ps3 will be overwhelmed. Sony would be forced to cut prices...

I wouldn't get my hopes up...