By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - looks like EA Games has taken the first step against reselling your games

I like Gamestop.......

No seriously, if they sell me ICO for $13 in good condition, how can I hate them?

Around the Network

I guess I'll have to start pirating games.

megaman79 said:
That's actually bullshit. Second hand or not you should get what u pay for.

You should refuse to ever buy a used EA game. That'll show 'em.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

they want you to rent or subscribe, its all about control, and they want you to have none.... all publishers do... enjoy a game, they would rather you pay a bit for it every month, then pay for it all at once

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

it's a nice idea in theory and may stop a small percentage of people from trading in (at least until they've played the 20 free songs to death anyway).

The best way imo to ensure a game doesn't get traded in / sold is to ensure it;s a great game with tons of replayability but they'll still be a percentage of people who trade in.

You cant sell games for £40 and aim so many of them at young teenagers / children and complain when they trade them in to offer them more choice more often. This may be why Nintendo's model works as they attract gamers of all ages and the older ones are less liely to trade in games.

Around the Network
Me said:
it's a nice idea in theory and may stop a small percentage of people from trading in (at least until they've played the 20 free songs to death anyway).

The best way imo to ensure a game doesn't get traded in / sold is to ensure it;s a great game with tons of replayability but they'll still be a percentage of people who trade in.

You cant sell games for £40 and aim so many of them at young teenagers / children and complain when they trade them in to offer them more choice more often. This may be why Nintendo's model works as they attract gamers of all ages and the older ones are less liely to trade in games.

And make the game to actually worth owning...

Dont really blame publishers for heading this way. In some ways the trade in market hurts publishers a little bit like piracy (with the exception of 1 person in each "trade in chain" actually buying the game).

Singly Player games are more likely to suffer though, games like Bioshock / Devil May Cry 4 / etc are more likely to get traded in as there is no ongoing multiplayer life in the game.

In my opinion it is just the retail companies getting greedy / too worried about the potential dominance of digital distribution in the future. There are already plenty of viable game rental services so i dont see why retailers cant hop on this bandwagon.

megaman79 said:
That's actually bullshit. Second hand or not you should get what u pay for.

Er, they are 20 free songs given to the person that buys a new version of the game. If you buy it used then you dont get them, but oh well. They werent for you anways.

And the word is "you" not "u".

OT: Good for EA and Harmonix. Ive said it before and I'll say it again. I would rather give my money ot the people that made the game I wanted to buy, then spend 10 dollars less and give my money to a crappy organization like Gamestop and screw the developer. If this gets more people to buy the game new, good.

People just see the stupid 10 dollar discount and think its owed to them, not thinking that if they buy that game used then they arent giving the actual developer any money. Its basically legalized Piracy committed by the store chain.

One person buys the game, then gives it back to Gamestop for 10 bucks then they turn around and sell it for 50 dollars and the developer sees nothing of that.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing gamestop knocked down a couple of notches. However i do think we should have some used games for the people that don't have the money to buy new games. And i hope this doesn't hurt gamefly too much cause they are a great service for anyone who enjoys games.

ZenfoldorVGI said:

I generally tend to buy factory sealed games. I just buy them at dirt cheap prices.

They'll have to do a hell of a lot more than hold content hostage to kill gamefly though.

I'm for anything that hurts gamestop, however.

^This.

I usually buy my games brand new except it's a really old game with no  new copies available anywhere or the new copies are selling for atrocious prices (e.g valkyrie profile ps1) so I really don't care.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler