By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think a 199 ps3 will be enuf to win?

If it was purely that easy all companies would have all their consoles listed at that price at launch and just take the losses for the first 2-3 yrs and make it up in the enormous software they'll obtain over the years.

Point? No it's not enough. Price has never been enough to validate a win in any market.

Around the Network
Erik Aston said:
Phrancheyez said:

I don't not like it..but it's just the argument case and point.  Any straight up Mario game (as in, not say Mario Party or Paper Mario but MARIO like Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, etc) is going to be a great game, sure as the sun will rise.  I was referring to the coming holidays and what's coming out though.  Most Nintendo fans have even said there isn't much to look forward to at this point.  There definately isn't a lineup to compare with 360 or PS3, and that's all I was really getting at.

You certainly can't compare the PS3 or 360 lineup to the Wii lineup, that's true. Wii's lineup has Wii Sports and Wii Play, which were both voted among the top 20 favorite games of all time by consumers. It has Mario Galaxy, the highest rated game by critics this gen, and the top-selling platformer this gen. It has Zelda, the top adventure game of the gen. Beyond Wii Sports, it still has the best-selling sports game of all time, and what will soon be the best-selling fighter and best-selling racer of all time.

360 and PS3 have lots of games that are highly rated by critics, using what consumers are voting are outdated and meaningless metrics. If those metrics mean a lot to you, you'll own one of those consoles, which is fine. I hope you enjoy it. But please stop trying to educate the majority about how Wii's lineup sucks.

Or, the snarky version: Comments about Wii having the worst lineup fit perfectly in a thread based on speculating around ridiculous hypotheticals.

He's talking about the "lineup" of games coming out between now and the end of 2008.  Please take a deep breath and get a grip.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Gearbox said:
wouldnt they make their loses back with software sales?

The licensing fee on third party titles is about $10. To make up the additional $200 they would lose per console sold each person would have to buy 20 third party games along with their $200 PS3 to make up the difference. Even if you use 1st party titles as an example, each new PS3 customer would have to buy 6 or 7 full priced Sony first party titles with their PS3 for Sony to break even. This is assuming that Sony is breaking even on the PS3 priced at $400. Also this does not take into account the reduced or eliminated licensing fees given to publishers for third party exclusives.

lol that would drive sony to colapse, software cant keep up with a lose like that, imagine they make 10 for each game avarege user would buy 2 games so 20 dollars or maybe ok they get 30 of software per console sold, but they lose a 100 per ps3 sold on the hardware, no way, they will get the most user base but they would lose so much money that they are not going to be able to get it all back with software

A 199 PS3 will crush both Wii and 360 in every region even if they're selling for 79-99 at the same time.

Around the Network

still wont beat out the wii, all Nin has to do is flood the market and Sony or Microsoft wont stand a chance.....but i might be able to talk the wife into that model..hmmmmm

Gearbox said:

If sony were to sell a 199 ps3 with 1 controller and 20 gigs do you think it would give them what it takes to sell the most this holiday? i think it will... they will make back all the lost money with the massive software sales they will achieve..

They would sell so fast (but still slower than Wii) that they would always be sold out.  Sony just doesn't have the ability to produce as many PS3s as Nintendo can with Wii for this holiday.  And it is too late for Sony to beat the Wii by stocking up on units until the holiday.  So no.  In fact, if Sony dropped the price of the of the PS3 to $100, the Wii would still out sell it.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

In French we have an expression for these kind of questions : "Avec des si, on metterait Paris en bouteille". Which basically means that with enough "if"s anything is possible. So :

- IF it were selling for $199
- IF Sony would be able to up production in time for the holidays
- IF Sony would be willing to make HUGE losses
- IF Nintendo did nothing to counter that price drop

Then yes it would outsell the Wii this holiday season but it's totally pointless to consider that eventuality.

Signature goes here!