By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3>WII>XBOX360

Kane is definately Kirby...
I think remember_me may be Rock_on... this is confusing.

Around the Network
Kane said:
guys who can't stay on topic get THE FUCK out ... lol

i see u look forward for a ban ... man u can get one without this words.

ok the people who keep posting oftopic will get reported now

You have it backwards. Xbox 360 > PS3 > Gamecube > N64 > Wii. ^^

Tease.

Kane said:

I'll bite.

Although I agree the Playstation 3 is certainly futureproofed in the way that it may be a viable platform 5+ years from now, the issue has entirely to do with economics.

5 years from now, the Playstation 3 will have to fight bigger, and better competitors. Say what you will about the Cell and Blu-Ray, but when the successors launch, they will cut deep into possible sales of the Playstation 3, as public perception will (most likely) be better due to mass-marketing of the said new systems.

If history is any indication of a console's viability as a platform for years to come, economics and unit sales are far better barometers of lifespan than mere horsepower - Just look as close as last gen. The Xbox was the better console in terms of horsepower - it was churning out better looking games than the PS2 was, and multi-plat games were pretty good on the system. Yet it was shelved pretty quickly due to price, but sales weren't insane either.

If the PS3 was selling a ton better, I would agree: Sony would have a market leader + future proofed system that would be able to dominate the public's fixation on what was/is the "must have" system. But instead, it's fighting the X360 for 3rd place globally. Not a good position to be in if you want to be on the market for many years.

And it's insane that you'd try to argue the Wii would sell worse than the Playstation 3 at this point. It could be close, but only under the absolute best circumstances for the PS3, and against the Wii. Right now, the Wii is enjoying a lead of over 16 million consoles and only growing. When the Wii does crest, assuming it's earlier than the PS3 (which I could agree to) - how big is the gap going to be? I don't forsee the Playstation 3 outselling the Wii for another 2-3 years, minimum. And in 3 years...How big is the gap going to be? 40 million? 50 million? It's insane to think how the Playstation 3 could overcome such a huge gap.

And Kane, the "Wii is a gimmick" line was used by everyone - including myself - a year ago. Guess what? It's getting close to rivaling the X360+PS3 combined. I don't see how you could logically assume a system that could bludgeon such viable competition, and do it so easily, is a "gimmick" - Sure, you might think it's a gimmick with the kiddie games and pictures of granny playing, but it's the only console thus far to sell 30+ million units. It's passed that stage to where it's a gimmick. Gimmicks come and go very quickly - in a year or so.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Kane said:

I'll bite.

Although I agree the Playstation 3 is certainly futureproofed in the way that it may be a viable platform 5+ years from now, the issue has entirely to do with economics.

5 years from now, the Playstation 3 will have to fight bigger, and better competitors. Say what you will about the Cell and Blu-Ray, but when the successors launch, they will cut deep into possible sales of the Playstation 3, as public perception will (most likely) be better due to mass-marketing of the said new systems.

If history is any indication of a console's viability as a platform for years to come, economics and unit sales are far better barometers of lifespan than mere horsepower - Just look as close as last gen. The Xbox was the better console in terms of horsepower - it was churning out better looking games than the PS2 was, and multi-plat games were pretty good on the system. Yet it was shelved pretty quickly due to price, but sales weren't insane either.

If the PS3 was selling a ton better, I would agree: Sony would have a market leader + future proofed system that would be able to dominate the public's fixation on what was/is the "must have" system. But instead, it's fighting the X360 for 3rd place globally. Not a good position to be in if you want to be on the market for many years.

And it's insane that you'd try to argue the Wii would sell worse than the Playstation 3 at this point. It could be close, but only under the absolute best circumstances for the PS3, and against the Wii. Right now, the Wii is enjoying a lead of over 16 million consoles and only growing. When the Wii does crest, assuming it's earlier than the PS3 (which I could agree to) - how big is the gap going to be? I don't forsee the Playstation 3 outselling the Wii for another 2-3 years, minimum. And in 3 years...How big is the gap going to be? 40 million? 50 million? It's insane to think how the Playstation 3 could overcome such a huge gap.

And Kane, the "Wii is a gimmick" line was used by everyone - including myself - a year ago. Guess what? It's getting close to rivaling the X360+PS3 combined. I don't see how you could logically assume a system that could bludgeon such viable competition, and do it so easily, is a "gimmick" - Sure, you might think it's a gimmick with the kiddie games and pictures of granny playing, but it's the only console thus far to sell 30+ million units. It's passed that stage to where it's a gimmick. Gimmicks come and go very quickly - in a year or so.

alright the economic argument : by that time don't you think the ps3 will be at a mass market pricepoint?

and by the way I'm sorry I said fuck

for now nothing special on it but i think there will be in the future.

Locked.

There is a right way and a wrong way to have this debate...this is the wrong way. This is simply baiting.

To Each Man, Responsibility