By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Secret Behind the 360's Game Attach Rate....

Achievements help boost sales. Am sure we can all agree to that??

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Soriku said:
Umm...I doubt it...

Btw, what do Achievement/Trophy points get you anyway? Bragging rights?

e-Penis

TheCompletist said:
I humbly submit to you the following:

Xbox 360 has sold 20.5m units WW. They had sold 10.25m in June '07. Therefore, an average (median) 360 gamer has owned his/her 360 for 15 months. By contrast, a median Wii/PS3 gamer has owned their machine since Dec '07, 9 months. The most recent figures on Vgchartz give tie ratios of;

Xbox 360 7.01
Wii 5.00
PlayStation 3 4.58

This implies that an average gamer buys at the following rate;

Wii .56 games/month
PlayStation 3 .51 games/month
Xbox 360 .47 games/month.

Now I'm sure these figures could be interpreted (or rubbished) in 100 different ways, but all I'm trying to say is that attach rate has a relationship to console age that mustn't be forgotten. After all, I own 5 PS3 games and 44 PS2 games. (I'm still working on my profile). It doesn't mean that I used to be 9 times more of a gamer than I am today ;p

What is the PS2's attach ratio?

Achievements are great because they give you goals!!

I mean look at geometry wars... why would anyone try to play for 60 secs without shooting if not for the achievement?

Basically they increase the length of the game if they are carefully crafted.
Achievements like "finish level 1" are on the other hand completely useless except for the people who collect points ^^ cause it brings nothing to the game, as by essence you are supposed to try and finish level 1 anyways.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

trestres said:
Well that may encourage gamers to buy more games, but how sad is it when you buy games just to get more points. WTF, wasn't gaming about the fun of games, rather than playing have the highest score, but not in the games but on a network where no one cares about you.

This even encourages shovelware to be produced. I will never understand people who play solely to get achievements.

Actually, The avatar game sold relatively well because it is the easiest 1000 achievement points, ditto TMNT game. People are quite sad.

Around the Network

Achievements is Meeh for me.

I'm 28 years old now, I don't have 7 hours a day that I can spend in front of my "screen" playing my PS360Wii or on my computer just so I can have 100% Achievement on every game I buy.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I've actually talked to gamers online who have admitted to doing this. It's probably even more common then you would imagine.

It's basically a never-ending game within all games. I feel sorry for the gamers addicted to it.

Achievements have spread like wildfire ever since they became a staple of Xbox Live. MS got a patent for the gamerscore tho, I wonder if they didn't try to/was rejected their achievement patent.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

do many 360 owners act like this?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

The average amount of games bought per month of console ownership isn't that different between 360 and PS3. That's IMO the main factor.

Some other factors IMO are (1) Some games have been released much earlier on the 360 than on the PS3, (2) Microsoft released sequels to their major XBox titles relatively early and (3) some PS3 owners may not be that vivid gamers due to the PS3 doubling as an amazing multi-media device (much more so than the 360).

Also a lot of FPS/3D shooter games have hit the market, which traditionally sell relatively well on XBox consoles. (With upcoming games like Resistance 2, Killzone 2 and existing unique online shooters like Warhawk I think the PS3 will become a very important console for 3D shooter fans as well.) Especially considering online play is "free" on the PS3 if you already have an internet connection.

For the long run piracy issues (although RRoD may put fear in the minds of pirates), disc scratching issues (short term positivie effect on software sales, but IMO likely a long term disadvantage), RRoD issues after warranty coverage, etc I think may well push things into the PS3's favour.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales