By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Which current generation console has the best controller?

Me, I like the Wii....

and it's not even the motion sensing. It's the Wiimote being seperated from the nunchuck. It allows me to keep my hands in a more relaxed position and move them around.

As for 360 VS PS3... hard to say.  The PS3 is more familiar due to the PS2... however the R2 and L2 triggers were really messed up in my opinion.

While the 360 i have no problems with, but i'm not used to.

So probably PS3 now... but once I have more expierence with both I expect the 360 to win out in the end.

Around the Network
.jayderyu said:

This is a stupid question on a gaing forum visited by gaming fans. This is a question for developers.

First your only going to end up with people voting for controller X becuase they are a fan of system Y. Thats going to happen becuase fans use controller X far more than controllers A,B,C. They are going to choose controller X becuase their gaming tastes of system Y a lot more. The idea that most fans are going to be unbiased and actually look at what the controller does compared to last gen(as the thread is about current consoles vs and current consoles vs last gen)is going to be over looked in favor of I like System/Company X. If there was an opinion that was written totally unbiased which can happen(I haven't read all the posts) it's unlikely that fans of different System Y will even bother considering the notion that's it's not unbiased. The question is just stupid.

Now heres my opinion. It's the Wiimote. Hands down. This by no means that other controllers are bad, but here are the reasons why. This is what makes if better than other consoles and better than prior generation.

It's get a points for being fully Blue Tooth compatible. It works for more than just system X. I use my Wiimote on my PC all the time. I believe the PS3 is also BT and deserves credit if usuable on other systems.

More intuitive input design wich allows for more simultaneous natural input. The PS3 also deserves some credit for it's SIXAXIS.

Ergonomics. It does not have the most comfortable grip, but it's design is universally better. There is no Right Hand design and doesn't require your hands to be in any given position. It's LEFT/RIGHt freedom gives it a better comfort level. It may be alien in feeling, but different isn't inferior and the value is in the end supperior than bunched up hands.

Extendable the basic Wiimote is extendable supporting just about anykind of input or attachment. This means that the data processing in the Wiimote is more verstile than either of the controllers input.

Motion/Accelerarometer. Regardless if motion has been used as a gimmicky add on many times(indeed it has) it's most simpler form is that it's still an extra level of intuitive input. Giving the Wiimote full a unpresedent amount of raw input without bogging down the hands wiht an enourmas serioes of buttons. Regardless if you like it or not the tilt and extras are a nice extras for games like driving. Even if you prefer analog(which is an opinion)

Pointer. This is such a basic input style that should have been around even on consoles. Die hard console fans maynot like it and may scream consoles are not PC, but it adds more gaming options and a superior interface for GUIs. Plus PS3 and xbox are obiously trying to be a home entertaiment pc. They should have pointers.

Speaker this is just awesome. Where as rumble added feel the speaker adds a true audio experience(even though the speaker is somewhat iffy). Shooting a gun, striking objects with melee weapons is so much more immersive and details a nice extra. Rumble plus bang from hand. total awesome.*cough* with mic would be better *cough* It may be small, but NMH used it as your cellphone. It's a totaly extra  immersive experience

I give PS3 a tip of the hat for being Blue Tooth and having motions controls. It has taken steps towards being a newer controller however it's basic design is still just it's previous design. The 360 is even worse for just being a minor improvement. Theres no reason to think they are bad controllers. They are not. They are just not next gen. Much like the HD Twin hardware for the console is leaps and bounds beyond the Wii. The Wiimote is light years ahead of the HD Twin controllers. It's in the controllers where are future lie as it is input where the bounds of human and computer interaction is still a pioneering landscape. While rubber grips give a nice feel they are not evolutionary or next gen.

In the end regardless if you value these controller aspects, they provide gaming extras and bring us closer to human interacgtion to the machine. This is next gen input. Much like the early consoles of yesteryear there is and will be improvements made. 2 buttons have evolved into 8. Digital pad evelved into dual analog. It's just a matter of time.

Don't bother cherry picking. I don't bother arguing those points. If that's all you can pick on then that makes a weaker argument. If I have missed any important details please mention them.

Good argument my question is simple I have played the WII, Tiger woods golf, and WII sports and some flying game over my friends house.  I own a 60 and bought a WII for my kids for Christmas,  My question is does the WII controller get annoying after playing a game for a few hours starit?

PS3, WII and 360 all great systems depends on what type of console player you are.

Currently playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, Fallout 3, Halo ODST and Dragon Age Origins is next game

Xbox live:mywiferocks

Wiimote of couse...is it really a question?

Hawkeye said:
360 controller i sby far the best. Perfect shape, perfect size for primary target audience (15-35 year old male). Great look and feel as well. Only problem is it doesn't come with rechargeable batteries, and the D pad gets a D+... but luckily isn't used a whole lot.

^ QFT. I havnt had along time played the 360, but the controller felt good with good grip to hold it easily. D pad is yea "downside" but it has plenty of buttons to get used to.

But my pick is the Wiimote, very ez to learn and ez to use.

Hanve played the ps3 controller, but i do feel that sony needs to step-forward and introduce a new controller bcus the simple fact is next-gen, it will be powerful and a old controller cant fit in well.

Above I'm a proud Gran Turismo fan, not a Sony fanboy, and now a proud 360 owner, but sharing xbox live accts ATM

End of 2009 Predictions (made Jan 1, 2009): My predictions were pretty accurate, the 360 was over and the Wii was just under.

Wii: 65 mil (yea I'm crazy) 360: 35 mil (its getting there) PS3: 30 mil (the slim better do well)

End of 2010 Predictions (made Jan 7, 2010):

Wii: 81 mil  360: 47 mil PS3: 45 mil

Without question, the Wii has the best controller. It does everything other controllers do, but also has IR and rumble. No contest, silly question, imo.

It's like asking which TV is better, a top end Sony or Samsung SD, or a Sanyo HD. Just because it's not top of the line when it comes to ergonomics, doesn't change the fact that it's still a generation ahead of SD.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

Wii:
The Nun Chuck remote works well but itcan be hard to use if you are always trying to find the positioning of your "mouse" so to speak. But if you just tap the joy stick, for some games you can control menus like that.
ex, mariionand sonic...../.

Dualshock 3 all the way.

Yeah it's tough for me to decide really.

I think the design of the Wiimote wins overall. The speaker is really sweet. It's inovative, sleek and stylish.

For me there is a HUGE improvement from the S-Controller to the 360 controller. The contors are much much smoother and The controller is fitting my hands like a glove. I have really enjoyed it (and the wireless works well on it as well) Button placement feels more natural and those bumper buttons kick ass. D-pad is kinda quirky though. The headset add-on is pretty interesting too.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

xman said:
.jayderyu said:

Good argument my question is simple I have played the WII, Tiger woods golf, and WII sports and some flying game over my friends house.  I own a 60 and bought a WII for my kids for Christmas,  My question is does the WII controller get annoying after playing a game for a few hours starit?

Most of the time no. I can play game for HOURS on end and never get tired, annoyed or bored. There are however some games that just plain blow in regards to controlls. The WORST mistake a game can make is to use a waggle of any direction to mimic a common and heavily used attack button. Bleash: Shatter Blade, Naruto whatever game, Spider man web sling(doesn't use IR) or say something off beat like shooting in an FPS. These games have lack of motion purpose and can eventually wear on the wrist and be annoying.

It does work for say Street fighter Heavy attacks or for doing special attacks. Even waggle often works fine, just not for

the basic aciton. The Wiimote design is easy to abuse. I have played God Father, TP, Brawl for 6 hours straight at times and

never have a problem.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

I play a lot of games... HEAPS and own all consoles. I gotta say the best over all controller has to be the new duel shock 3 for it's perfect wait, responce, feel, buttons, smoothness of sticks, build and is well suited for all games! It is different to the crappy sixaxis and is king IMHO. It is obvious why they have used it for 3 generations.

Followed by the Wii mote [which is not a perfect motion controller and is a little too basic, which is fine, cause Wii games are basic]. i still prefer the Wave Bird for normal Wii games

And, comming in last, the 360's, [it has way too many things that don't work well and is built so god damn cheap]. The 360's buttons are too hard, small and high. It's sticks are too stiff. It's finger channels on the bottom give me cramps, it is way too heavy and feels cheap over all. try playin' anything other than a shooter with it and it FAILS!

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD