By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Buying a Wii. What accessories do I need?

I will be purchasing a Wii in the next couple of weeks but I have a few questions about what I should buy with it.

- Gamecube controllers & memory cards

There are only a few GC games I want to play (MP, MP2, WW) and I probably won't get SSBB.  So I don't want to spend too much.  I've seen a Madcatz starter kit for $20 (new) at a local store, but being 3rd party is a minor turnoff (returned 2 3rd party wireless PS2 controllers before getting a Logitech controller which I'm happy with).  Buying a Wavebird on eBay is an option but seems expensive for a used controller.  Is the Madcatz controller & memory card good enough?

Wireless Router

- Any suggestions on a decent cheap router?  I currently don't have a laptop so a 802.11g router would do.  A 802.11n router would be nice, but I don't want to pay for a unused feature that I will be able to get cheaper and (hopefully) better quality in the future.  It will also need to have at least 2 wired ports (10/100 is fine).

Around the Network

Please, buy the D-Link 615.

Is a wireless N, it has a very large range, and the speed is amazing. You could find that router every week in special price in Circuit or Best Buy.

is like the best selling router.

GC controller is a must, not only to enjoy some GC titles but also the VC which is absolutely awesome.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&searchType=user&keyword=dir-615&searchSection=All

The revision A from last year was bad, it had a lot of flaws, but the revision B (95% of the current DIR-615 routers on stock are revision B now) is the one that is very good.

I suggest buying things as you need them... it works for me.

I didn't buy any extra accessory for a couple of months, then I bought Wii Play for the remote.

half a year later I bought another remote, and got a nunchuck for Christmas.

The only other thing I have is a Wii Wheel from Mario Kart. (admitedly I already had 2 GC controllers before I bought the Wii... but I have only used one of them since getting the Wii, so 1 is fine.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
I suggest buying things as you need them... it works for me.

I didn't buy any extra accessory for a couple of months, then I bought Wii Play for the remote.

half a year later I bought another remote, and got a nunchuck for Christmas.

The only other thing I have is a Wii Wheel from Mario Kart. (admitedly I already had 2 GC controllers before I bought the Wii... but I have only used one of them since getting the Wii, so 1 is fine.

Agreed. I bought 3 Wii Remotes and 3 Nunchucks off the bat (4 total each), and I should have just waited on the Nunchucks as most multiplayer games I have either don't need or use the Nunchucks.

I do however use all 4 Wii Remotes quite often.

As for Madcatz, you are much better off getting a first party controller. As for the memory, I have a madcatz memory card and it has gone blank on me like 3-4 times. I live with it, as I don't care to much, but over the course of 6 years, that is pretty bad.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

Just make sure to get a few dozen copies of Wii Music when it comes out.

Fernando said:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Search.do?c=1&searchType=user&keyword=dir-615&searchSection=All

The revision A from last year was bad, it had a lot of flaws, but the revision B (95% of the current DIR-615 routers on stock are revision B now) is the one that is very good.

I was considering this router, but a comparison round-up from April put it in last place.  Unfortunately it doesn't mention what revision was used although the DIR-625 took top spot using the same and the author questioned why the performance was so different.  BTW it looks like rev C was just released.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30387/96/1/6/

1. I would pick up a Waivebird (GC:controller).

2. Wiiplay (game) for the free Wiimote.

3. A Nunchuck so that you would have and extra set for any guests that come over.

4. Also a 1 Gig SD card. You don't need the official Wii one. Just pick up a SD card at OfficeMax or a camera store.

Accessory wise that's all I would get at the bare minimum.

5. As far as a router goes.  I just use my AT&T U-verse router that came with my broadband connection.  I think it is a 2wire running 802.11-N, any should work though.

Consoles: Atari 5200, NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3

component cables.. shdnt cost u more than $20 480p is a lot more pleasant to look at than 480i

1GB memory card any brand should cost u $5

GC contoller

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business