By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Buying a Wii. What accessories do I need?

nordlead said:
TWRoO said:
I suggest buying things as you need them... it works for me.

I didn't buy any extra accessory for a couple of months, then I bought Wii Play for the remote.

half a year later I bought another remote, and got a nunchuck for Christmas.

The only other thing I have is a Wii Wheel from Mario Kart. (admitedly I already had 2 GC controllers before I bought the Wii... but I have only used one of them since getting the Wii, so 1 is fine.

Agreed. I bought 3 Wii Remotes and 3 Nunchucks off the bat (4 total each), and I should have just waited on the Nunchucks as most multiplayer games I have either don't need or use the Nunchucks.

I do however use all 4 Wii Remotes quite often.

As for Madcatz, you are much better off getting a first party controller. As for the memory, I have a madcatz memory card and it has gone blank on me like 3-4 times. I live with it, as I don't care to much, but over the course of 6 years, that is pretty bad.

I am only going to buy 1 remote & nunchuck to start (friends can bring theirs over if necessary).

Thanks for the MadCatz warning, although I might risk it for the price.  I forgot about the VC so a Wavebird might be worth the price.

Around the Network

Wow... I forgot.

Buy the component cables. Those are a must.

arsenicazure said:
component cables.. shdnt cost u more than $20 480p is a lot more pleasant to look at than 480i

1GB memory card any brand should cost u $5

GC contoller

I have already ordered a component cable from Monoprice for $4.40.  Slightly mixed reviews, but for the price I'll risk it.

I almost forgot about a SD card.  I probably don't need one right away, but does it matter what speed I get?  Is the write speed limited by the Wii's writer?  I'll probably just get the cheapest 1 or 2 GB card I come across.

jagenjg said:

1. I would pick up a Waivebird (GC:controller).

2. Wiiplay (game) for the free Wiimote.

3. A Nunchuck so that you would have and extra set for any guests that come over.

4. Also a 1 Gig SD card. You don't need the official Wii one. Just pick up a SD card at OfficeMax or a camera store.

Accessory wise that's all I would get at the bare minimum.

5. As far as a router goes.  I just use my AT&T U-verse router that came with my broadband connection.  I think it is a 2wire running 802.11-N, any should work though.

This.

Go buy Metroid OTHER M!

Wii code: 6775-1034-2238-1634

PSN: birdie93      XBL: luthor93

3DS: 3909-7597-9889

You can add me, I won't stop you!

My website: www.fight4custom.com

For the router, Wireless G is the way to go. Wii doesn't support N, and B is slow as dirt. I recommend any Linksys or DLink products that support G. You CAN use an N router, but as seeing you're only using wireless for your Wii, there's no reason to shell out the extra bucks for the tech.

My fav Wii accessory is the Nyko Perfect Shot. It is a $12 handgun shell that looks like a white 9 millimeter gun. You stick your Wiimote on top and plug in the nunchuck underneath. Makes fora great experience while playing shooter games, especially on-rail games

Around the Network

A sixaxis controller for superior motion sensing. Apart from that, I agree with the above post that the Nyko is a must-have if you like shooter games. Especially with a new House of the Dead on the way.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Some sort of a battery recharge solution is absolutely necessary.

I use the rayovac hybrid batteries (since they work for all remotes in my house)....but you'll have to see what works for you.

bardicverse said:

For the router, Wireless G is the way to go. Wii doesn't support N, and B is slow as dirt. I recommend any Linksys or DLink products that support G. You CAN use an N router, but as seeing you're only using wireless for your Wii, there's no reason to shell out the extra bucks for the tech.

My fav Wii accessory is the Nyko Perfect Shot. It is a $12 handgun shell that looks like a white 9 millimeter gun. You stick your Wiimote on top and plug in the nunchuck underneath. Makes fora great experience while playing shooter games, especially on-rail games

No, the Wii, PS3 and the wireless adapter for the 360 uses G, BUT, the G and N are only for data transfer speed.

If he buy a wireless N, the Wii will only transfer speed at G speeds, BUT the router will still have a much larger coverage.

You need:

Component cable 25€
Classic controller 20€
1 wiimote+nunchuk 60€
Memory card(4gt) 10€
Charging station 20€

Later you will need:

Wii motion plus ~40€
Wii speak ~30€

super_etecoon said:
Some sort of a battery recharge solution is absolutely necessary.

I use the rayovac hybrid batteries (since they work for all remotes in my house)....but you'll have to see what works for you.

Agreed.  I am buying some Eneloop (low self discharge similar to the Rayovac Hybrid) batteries for our digital camera.  So I will have some extra rechargables.

I'm going to skip a recharging station since I have extra AA recharables and they are multipurose.  Plus my 2 year old son would have a field day with the Wiimotes since they would be in his reach sitting on a charger.