By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Infinite Undiscovery 70K first day sales

Squilliam said:
CrazzyMan said:
Soriku said:

@Crazzy

Then isn't that the problem? More space, according to you, means a shorter game because they can add a lot of graphics, physics, lighting, etc. so basically what you said about blu ray automatically making games longer is contradictory to your previous post.

lol.

More space means they can add a lot of graphics AND gameplay, N... .

"PhalanxCO, the MORE space game can get, the better graphics and longer gameplay it can get." But only if Sony pays for it.

"PhalanxCO, the MORE space game can get, the better graphics and longer gameplay it can get." But only if Sony pays for it.

Hilarious!

But at any rate, I don't think size restricts length of a game. The longer a game, the more $$$ has to go in for assets. And even then, you can always use 2 DVDs, DLC Content, or other means. Size can hurt graphics, as textures and uncompressed audio can take large amounts of data to be used.

I mean, I can name dozens of games that are insanely long, but don't require multiple DVDs, and have tons of stuff attached to them. The main issue with JRPGs is the fact that they (for some incredibly stupid reason) choose to stick with retarded amounts of high-def CG cutscenes. My god, 90% of in-game engines look perfectly fine, and can do good cutscenes as-is without pre-rendered CG stuff! The reason Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and others take up so much data is due to those stupid CG cutscenes running at 720p.

Some good examples:

Oblivion (100+ hour quest, huge world. DLC is 1GB worth of assets, and is 30hrs and large)

Mass Effect (30+ hours, gorgeous)

Eternal Sonata (30hrs, Great cell-shaded graphics, tons of VO, in-game cutscenes)

Tales of Vesperia (Same as Eternal Sonata. 60+ Hours, Tons of VO, in-game cutscenes. Animated scenes)

All are 1 disc games. All, in their own rights, are gorgeous games. Why can't some of these Square Enix-esque studios "get it" and stop with the trashy pre-rendering? It throws off the rest of the game, IMO.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
Soriku said:

@Crazzy

Then isn't that the problem? More space, according to you, means a shorter game because they can add a lot of graphics, physics, lighting, etc. so basically what you said about blu ray automatically making games longer is contradictory to your previous post.

lol.

You can't make a rock bleed, you can't make crazzyman reason. Just move along - he's here just to promote his agenda (until he's on forced holydays again) and nothing will change that.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

Oblivion (100+ hour quest, huge world. DLC is 1GB worth of assets, and is 30hrs and large)
can be completed in 10-15h.

can be completed in 12h.

Eternal Sonata (30hrs, Great cell-shaded graphics, tons of VO, in-game cutscenes)
avg a bit above PS2 level graphics

Tales of Vesperia (Same as Eternal Sonata. 60+ Hours, Tons of VO, in-game cutscenes. Animated scenes)
same here + ingame cut scenes doesn`t take much space.

More space = means that more space can be used for Better graphics and for longer gameplay = FACT.

There is no point to argue against FACT. More available space is ADVANTAGE, NOT disadvantage.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

mrstickball said:
Squilliam said:
CrazzyMan said:
Soriku said:

@Crazzy

lol.

More space means they can add a lot of graphics AND gameplay, N... .

"PhalanxCO, the MORE space game can get, the better graphics and longer gameplay it can get." But only if Sony pays for it.

"PhalanxCO, the MORE space game can get, the better graphics and longer gameplay it can get." But only if Sony pays for it.

Hilarious!

But at any rate, I don't think size restricts length of a game. The longer a game, the more $$$ has to go in for assets. And even then, you can always use 2 DVDs, DLC Content, or other means. Size can hurt graphics, as textures and uncompressed audio can take large amounts of data to be used.

I mean, I can name dozens of games that are insanely long, but don't require multiple DVDs, and have tons of stuff attached to them. The main issue with JRPGs is the fact that they (for some incredibly stupid reason) choose to stick with retarded amounts of high-def CG cutscenes. My god, 90% of in-game engines look perfectly fine, and can do good cutscenes as-is without pre-rendered CG stuff! The reason Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and others take up so much data is due to those stupid CG cutscenes running at 720p.

Some good examples:

All are 1 disc games. All, in their own rights, are gorgeous games. Why can't some of these Square Enix-esque studios "get it" and stop with the trashy pre-rendering? It throws off the rest of the game, IMO.

WRPGs never use FMVs.  ES and ToV don't really need CGI.

Nice!

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Around the Network
CrazzyMan said:
can be completed in 10-15h.

can be completed in 12h.

avg a bit above PS2 level graphics

same here + ingame cut scenes doesn`t take much space.

More space = means that more space can be used for Better graphics and for longer gameplay = FACT.

There is no point to argue against FACT. More available space is ADVANTAGE, NOT disadvantage.

oblivion:  what exactly are you completing in this time??? it certainly wouldnt be much

mass effect:   ive done it in about 7. although ive put over 100 into the game.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

crazzyman your post about the xbox 360 dvd limit size is total bs, because it doesnt mean shit about how long a game can be, its the developers not the storage format. also u can keep praying for star ocean 4 on ps3, if it comes hope u can wait a year or so. back to the post decent sales for infinite undiscovery and also for a new ip. i thought the game was good.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

@ROBOTECHHEAVEN, 15h for JPRG, yeah, definitely you have no taste.

+ there are so many cons in the game, i don`t understand how could you enjoy it, an AVERAGE jrpg.

Try to play FFX, FFXII, Persona 3, Dark Cloud1/2, DQ8, KH1/2 and etc. maybe then your taste will improve.

And it very bad, that even 70k Japanese bought it. It`s an average game.

@Soriku, M$ charges additional fee for including more then 2 discs.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169112

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:

@ROBOTECHHEAVEN, 15h for JPRG, yeah, definitely

Tales of vesperia has over 100hours of gameplay and comes on 1 disc. I must be missing your point then. Are we still talking about amount of awesomeness in1 disc?

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

@Shadowblind,
yeah, 100h, it was just 60h a hour ago.))

anyway, for low quality graphics much space is NOT needed.