By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it reasonably safe to assume the 360 will indeed finish 2nd in NA?

Likely, but maybe not.

Around the Network

Never assume anything, if these recent price cuts make it so the PS3 stops outselling hte 360 in NA then yes, its perfectly safe to say that. But if the price cuts level out and dip back to normal sales, while the PS3 being 200+ dollars more continues to outsell the 360 in NA then when the PS3 gets its price cuts I doubt the 360 will hold onto 2nd in NA very long.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

thekitchensink said:
@Bonkers: You shouldn't have found GTA surprising, as the original Xbox got all of them, last-gen...

But didn't the Xbox got GTA alot later then the PS2 version was release?

http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=PS3&reg1=America&cons2=PS2&reg2=America&cons3=X360&reg3=America&weeks=300
wow!
x360 doing by 1.3 mln. better, then ps3 at same life time.

So far, PS3 need to sell one year, when x360 will stop selling, and it will easy surpass x360 sales in NA.
And in case, if x720 coming in 2010-2011, that definitely will be acomplished by the 2012.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

CrazzyMan said:
1) The difference is only 6.5 mln.  o wow he was off by .5mill
2) PS2 sold around 50 mln. in NA alone.  ps3 is NOT the ps2 and mosl likely never will be. O and by the way the ps2 sold only 48.564457 mil console to date according to vgchartz.
3) PS3 is not even at 299$ price yet, neither 199$. wow who knew???
4) Games like FFXIII (Multi-plat), KZ2, GoW3, GT5, HR, FFXIIIv are yet to come. And there are arguably an equal number of good exclusive game coming to the xbox 360. 
5) MGS4 alone helped PS3 to outsell x360 in NA for 2 months and 3rd month did almost on pair even against 299$ 20GB x360 model.  Yep
Hmm.. did i missed something? Oh yeah, x360 sales increased ONLY by 100% after getting 199$-299$ price. It`s like 100k per week. What is that? not ACTUALLY comfirmed...save your breath on this one till next weeks data comes out.

So far, PS3 is less then 2 years on the market, of it`s 8 years(atleast) life. BUT i think what most people would agree on is that a generation ends when the the next bunch of consoles release, which will probably be much much sooner than 8 years.  When was the last time you saw a discussion talking about ps2 sales??

o and to crazymans other post: do you really think the 360 will just stop selling so the ps3 can just easily catch up in one year. lol your name is quite fitting by the way.

Around the Network

It really depends on the life cycles of both the Xbox 360 and PS3.

From this point on, I think that *best case scenario for the PS3*, that the X360 and PS3 sell around similar numbers until one or the other gives up the ghost and moves to the successor.

Obviously, everyone thinks that the X360 would be the first to do such, since it has more outdated technology, and the more likely candidate to be replaced.

So then the question becomes: How much, and how long, could the Playstation 3 sell to overtake the Xbox 360?

IMO, it could get closer than the 7m it is right now, but IMO, I just don't think the Playstation 3 will have enough gas to beat the X360 - Just like the GC didn't have enough gas to beat the Xbox in North America.

I'm going to say, in my opinion, that the Xbox 360 after the price cut, will maintain a decent lead over the Playstation 3 for about 2-3 years to come, then the PS3 will take over when a successor is announced, and then launched.

9-10m gap when everything is said and done.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I don't think 360 can ever wider the gap to more than 6m,
most probably they'll just stop at 5m+,
and from my personal opinion,i think the price cut will only effect for 2 or 3 months,
and then PS3 will still outsell or almost the same sales as 360.
However,the 5m lead of 360 is not that easy to turnover.

Well, like it or not, 360 owners are more likely to own a PS3 than the other way around (maybe because 360 owners are less fanboy or whatever) so in the end, as PS3 reaches mass market, it might start selling really well but 360 would have gone to the sub-mass market pricing level...

It really depends on how big of a push the PS3 can benefit from BluRay. It's unlikely that the PS3 will overtake the 360 in NA, but nothing is truly "safe" this early in the cycle. Either way, if the rate stays about the same as it is right now, the PS3 will never bypass the 360 in NA.

its quite safe to say that neither the ps3 od the 360 will catch up with the wii in na (unless nintendo stops selling wii very early).
but for the 2nd place its not that fixed yet. currrently (before 360 pricedrop) ps3 was slowly catching up this year, and it remains to be seen how much the pricedrop will change in the longer term. Also ps3 will most likely see a pricedrop next year and noone can predict yet how that will affect things.

finally an important point might be how long these consoles will sell, if sony manages to sell the ps3 at least 1 year longer than the 360 then chances are a lot better for sony to outsell 360 in na than if both stop selling at same date.