By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The road I've travelled - insights and history of a game dev

bardicverse said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
A developer of vaporware has nothing to boast about and even less advice to give to "young devs."

It sounds harsh but try to get something worthwhile on your resume before giving advice to others.

I've aready been on a published title, or did you skim past that part? I wouldn't consider a project in development for less than 5 years vaporware. Its the 5 year deadline that looms at the point of "ok, where is this game?" Read Duke Nukem Forever.

If you read correctly, my advice was from experiences, and not all positive ones. Some people can benefit and learn from the mistakes of others. So, while your goal is to try to tear into me for whatever reason, you only further promote my point. There are much easier ways to get to the end goal than I have. I didn't say anywhere "If you want to be successful like me..." I'm still travelling on the road, I'm just warning people on the road behind me where the speed traps are. =)

I saw only that speed bump of a title World Fables which you didn't publish but merely worked on (which didn't even register enough on the radar to get its own gamefaqs page).  If you made a real title and I somehow missed it in your OP I do apologize, please highlight it for me.  ^_^

When someone from Valve, Blizzard, or Bioware talks, I will listen.  I will listen as those companies have an extensive list of great games because they know what they're doing and they're awesome at it.  When someone who has worked on essentially nothing but a minor title I've never heard of that isn't even on par with the likes of Cute Knight tries to give advice, it feels... hollow.

I wish you luck.  I hope you can come back in 5 years and say "Haha!  Look at me now."  You're not there yet so focus on that and, if you're really awesome, your work will do your talking for you.

Around the Network

Wow. Didnt' realize you were so involved in the game development world.

I'm currently majoring in music, and I'm hoping to get a job doing composition for video games, so I'll definitely be asking you for tips on more than just Fruity Loops.  :P

Words Of Wisdom said:

I saw only that speed bump of a title World Fables which you didn't publish but merely worked on (which didn't even register enough on the radar to get its own gamefaqs page).  If you made a real title and I somehow missed it in your OP I do apologize, please highlight it for me.  ^_^

When someone from Valve, Blizzard, or Bioware talks, I will listen.  I will listen as those companies have an extensive list of great games because they know what they're doing and they're awesome at it.  When someone who has worked on essentially nothing but a minor title I've never heard of that isn't even on par with the likes of Cute Knight tries to give advice, it feels... hollow.

I wish you luck.  I hope you can come back in 5 years and say "Haha!  Look at me now."  You're not there yet so focus on that and, if you're really awesome, your work will do your talking for you.

Fair enough, though as far as hollow goes, your view in general is quite that. I don't mean that as an insulting snappy comeback, but moreso like this - if you're only going to listen to guys from Valve, Blizzard or Bioware, that's a pretty closeminded view. That's kind of like saying "Unless my baseball coach is a pro from the major leagues, I'm not going to even attempt to learn from them." Kinda snobbish, you know what I mean? Besides, when I'm at that level where people here defend me like they do with their fav dev, what makes you think i'm going to want to talk to YOU? ;)

makingmusic476 said:

I'm currently majoring in music, and I'm hoping to get a job doing composition for video games, so I'll definitely be asking you for tips on more than just Fruity Loops.  :P

Yeah Im a lifer. Im not at the top rung of the ladder yet, but am working on it. =) BTW, I just figured out how absolutely SICK layering in FL is!

So the best lesson to learn is to know your limits and don't bite off more than you can chew.

Those are words of wisdom.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
famousringo said:
So the best lesson to learn is to know your limits and don't bite off more than you can chew.

Those are words of wisdom.

Exactly! And in those limits, not just your own personal ones, but of your team overall. Dont demand the moon and the stars if your team hasn't figured out how to build a telescope =)

bardicverse said:
makingmusic476 said:

Yeah Im a lifer. Im not at the top rung of the ladder yet, but am working on it. =) BTW, I just figured out how absolutely SICK layering in FL is!

Layering?  I'm sure this is an extremely noobish thing to ask, but isn't that just about all you in FL?  Take a melody, place a harmony over it, a drum track, etc.

Btw, in the basic version, can you mess around with effects and stuff, or do I have to "buy" some more software.  I've only managed to use some effeects (some crazy reverb stuff) once, and when I tried to save it, it said I couldn't save the track because that part of the software was just a demo.

I'm not even sure how I got there, either. 

And I'm sure you have no clue what I'm talking about, because I have no clue how to explain it, haha.

makingmusic476 said:

Layering?  I'm sure this is an extremely noobish thing to ask, but isn't that just about all you in FL?  Take a melody, place a harmony over it, a drum track, etc.

Btw, in the basic version, can you mess around with effects and stuff, or do I have to "buy" some more software.  I've only managed to use some effeects (some crazy reverb stuff) once, and when I tried to save it, it said I couldn't save the track because that part of the software was just a demo.

I'm not even sure how I got there, either. 

And I'm sure you have no clue what I'm talking about, because I have no clue how to explain it, haha.

Haha well you're right, it IS all layering, but there's a specific technique that allows you to add several intstruments together into one midi controlled track. Like you can set up note ranges on your keyboard controller so that say the lower half covers 2 octaves of one synth, the middle has 2 octaves of another synth, and then the high end of the keyboard has a 3rd synth. easy to play multiple synths at once. Also, you can just assign several synths to the same exact notes, so by one key on the keyboard, you are actually playing 2 or more synths combined together to make a really SICK sound.

As for the demo stuff, yes there's a lot that's demo mode only. I live for Sytrus. It is awesome. There are several effects are included with FL Studio, mostly like the FL reverd, FL Delay, basically anything FL. Another good one is the Buzz Effect channel. Some sick chorus/flange/delay options in there. I love dropping the Panzer Delay on "Cool delay" on my snares. Really cook Linkin Parkish sounding snare delays. If you roll over to myspace.com/distant2nd , thats my band. All tracks were composed and recorded in FL Studio. Guitar, vocal and bass parts were recorded as live audio. All drums and synths are generated from FL Studio. Most of the synth stuff, like 99.9%, is Sytrus (FL Studio Plugin)

I hate how you get to mes with some awesome synths, create something cool and then it tells you its deleting it when you save. I found a workaround to that if you don' t have the bucks for the plugins. Right click the track in the pattern editor of the synth pattern you made. Select copy. Create a new instrument in the list, like a basic snare or whatever. Paste the note info you just copied. This note info will save. Next time you want to load or play the song, find the synth that you were using, add it in, copy the note info from that instrument track you made, and then copy it back onto the synth instrument line.  Alternatively, select the synth track you are working with. When you left click it, a box comes up. In the top right corner theres a box with a number. Set this to 1 or 2, or whatever number you want. Route your audio card to record on itself in the audio settings in the mixer window (top right is input bottom right is output). Arm the song to record.  hit play, it will record any audio coming into the card, including your synth line. Save your synth line as a wav file, and use it as a wav loop from there on.

I hope I didnt go too techhie there. Let me know if you need clarification. =)

makingmusic476 said:

OMG there's more?! *takes out violin and bow* touche! It will be a Free For All to the death! May the best composition win!!

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Grahamhsu said:
makingmusic476 said:

OMG there's more?! *takes out violin and bow* touche! It will be a Free For All to the death! May the best composition win!!

Hmm.. 3 music majors. You know what that means?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

^^^ THIS!