By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony sign exclusive deal with Epic for Unreal Engine

ioi said:
Sony have set up an exclusive deal with Epic games, maker of the Unreal franchise, to develop an optimised version of their Unreal engine for Playstation 3. Part of the deal also includes the exclusive console version of Unreal Tournament 3 through at least Q1 2008.

ioi,

you did ad the red part today, i guess, because yesterday this post had no reference fo being just a timed exclusive. The digg misses this point too.

Quote ckmlb:

I love the two first time posters out of nowhere to claim that it's fake even though it was announced at E3. Sad sad fanboys...

I had my doubts, too!

But it sounds much more believable now, after pointing out, this to be a timed exclusive.

UT3 might be too expensive.

edit:

btw:

The topic is misleading, the UE3 "PS3 version" is exclusive for PS3 ^_^

There's still UE3 for everybody who's willing to pay the price.

Around the Network
soccerdrew17 said:
it would be crazy if ncsoft brought lineage to the ps3. nk would go crazy. that series is huge. bigger than wow (i think it still is but not 100% sure).

i think the biggest thing of the epic deal is the mods. it means that any ue3 game can use pc mods if the devs are cool with it. and a huge blow to ms cause mods rock and they wont allow it. i think that sony is gona publish an epic game (like gears with ms) and used that along with the optimization and being pissed off at ms (no pr person should ever be believed about develop relationships, they will always say its fine) that scored the ue3 time exclusive.

with resistance and killzone, along with haze and ut3 timed exclusivity ps3 and sony just got a whole lot stronger as a system and developer. they are in every genre quite strongly. sony is most likely the best overall publisher/developer (nintendo lacks in some genres, like shooter and mmo)

Yeah, I was going to start a thread about Sony possibly being the best developer right now, but I'm afraid it would just end in a flame war so hopefully it'll be a little hidden here. EA is doing some new things and Nintendo almost always delivers with Metroid, Mario, Zelda, etc, but the number of great games that Sony is putting out before the end of this year and the early start of next year is incredible.

Edit:  Just found this on Kotaku:  "Garriot advised us that Tabula Rasa is one of the titles under
consideration for porting to the Playstation 3 as part of the new
union between NCSoft and Sony, but no promises yet. One of NCSoft's
executives suggested we should hear about new IP and existing titles
on Sony's machines by the end of the year."

http://kotaku.com/gaming/notag/tabula-rasa-impressions-278374.php 

I did use google - and didn't see anywhere until after I posted. I stand corrected ...

If the Unreal graphics engine = a few better games for the pS3, then I might buy one. I'd like to see a sequel to radiata stories using the U3.

R9 5950x - RTX 3090 - Odyssey G9

There's other parts in this deal too, it's not just for UT and the engine... rumor is there is another unreal game coming exclusively to the PS3.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!