By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

We are all gamers. If you want to divide us into core gamers that's fine, but what makes us core gamers isn't the games we play, but the amount of time, attention, and devotion that we all put into our hobby. Neither you, nor me, nor anyone else has the right to define what games we should be playing to be "hardcore" gamers.

Every person here is a "core" gamer because we actually spend time researching and discussing games. What we choose to play though is personal preference, and people shouldn't have to have their preferences insulted and downplayed just because others don't share them.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Onyxmeth said:

These two bolded sections contradict each other. On one hand you say the Wii only challenges your reflexes, not your intellectual side like the PS3 and 360 do. Then on the other hand your evidence of the best example is talking about online multiplayer and how difficulty ramps up, which is directly correlated to reflexes. Make up your mind. You have dug yourself at least 12 feet deep, and a string of reasonable responses would go a long way for you at this point.

Either that or explain what games on the 360 or PS3 have "challenged my abilities on more of an intellectual level".

really? because i thought it was about predicting your opponent, and strategizing positions. sure there is more reflex, but the mental game is rediculous.

Oh ok. So your argument now boils down to PS3 and 360 aren't toys because most games are online and online mutliplayer stimulates your intellectual abilities and the Wii doesn't have many online games so it basically only stimulates your reflexes. In conclusion, intellectual reflexes in gaming are produced only through online multiplayer.

Note: If anything I'm saying is starting to make little sense, then you'll know how far off the wagon you've gone in two pages.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

wow theprof you sure are busy

lapsed_gamer said:

theprof00 said:
i think it very well surmises the pretenses.
the wii is a toy

And because it knows this and doesn't try to be more, it is the most successful toy of the three.

the games are simpler

Yes. Even games like MP Corruption are simpler. Deep and engaging, but I don't think about the controls when I play, I just use them.

it doesn't cater to the hardcore

If you mean lose money and cause many developers to do the same to make one demographic happy, then no they don't.

that isn't a bad thing

No, it isn't.

it is not smarter than sony or ms

What constitutes intelligence from a business stand point?

that is pretty much the whole point

i am smiling right now because despite how stupid it all sounds you are exactly right. except the mp corruption thing, you know you don't have to disagree. it's like

"there are a lot of hardcore games on the ps60"

rebuttal: lol like katamari damacy ahaha newb!!11 

i especially liked this part

If you mean lose money and cause many developers to do the same to make one demographic happy, then no they don't.

i personally am glad they are risking it all to get my dollar. let's me know they are really trying.

naznatips said:
We are all gamers. If you want to divide us into core gamers that's fine, but what makes us core gamers isn't the games we play, but the amount of time, attention, and devotion that we all put into our hobby. Neither you, nor me, nor anyone else has the right to define what games we should be playing to be "hardcore" gamers.

Every person here is a "core" gamer because we actually spend time researching and discussing games. What we choose to play though is personal preference, and people shouldn't have to have their preferences insulted and downplayed just because others don't share them.

I am not trying to dictate what you should be playing. nor am i saying that anyones taste is wrong. I said in my original topic that because of the availability, and the way the market has destroyed so many companies, Wii games are amazingly popular. people want ot develop for it, save money and sell and boatload of games with little risk.

I'm merely saying that i have noticed this trend "within the game" itself. not through numbers or analysts, but from the games. they have felt short and simple on the wii, while there may be some hardcore games on the wii, and hardcore gamers on the wii, i feel that for the most part, the wii is not making games for me, whereas the other systems are. imho hardcore games require a lot of investment on the developers end, and i can say that with a straight face throughout my 20 years as a gamer.

Around the Network

This post makes no sense

1--you try to say the wii is a toy like its a bad but not bad thing, fail to mention that it still caters to hardcore as much as any Nin systems has (it has released the same amount of hardcore games as any other machine at this point in its life)

2-while presenting the wii as a toy you fail to mention that the other systems are in fact toys themselves

3-you try to compare the systems from an artistic point while failing to use that argument correctly (not that it ever could), the problem you have is that devs bring the art not the machines, and there many types of art from realisms to surrealism to Dadaism to Minimalism to movement—so while the 360 and the ps3 might be able to get an edge over the wii in the realism field the wii can get the edge for the kinetic so it’s a flip of a coin

4-you try to justify you toy argument again with a movie award reference, you fail again b/c even if it’s an Oscar over a mtv movie award its still an award, just like it’s a ps3 or a wii its still a toy

You would do best if in the future you do not try to pass of personal opinion as a fact and only back it up with a fraction of an argument

Gnizmo said:
theprof00 said:
it is not smarter than sony or ms

that is pretty much the whole point

This is completely incorrect. A company is out to make money and nothing else. The Wii has shown that Nintendo's way is a quick way to make billions of dollars. The MS and Sony route seems to cost billions of dollars. Making more profit is clearly the smarter way. I can't imagine how you could ever construct an arguement to the contrary.

you are absolutely correct, heinz and bmw should make a wii system.

Chrizum said:
The Wii is a toy. You can play it and have fun with it.

Xbox 360 and PS3 are serious business. Operating these devices is hard work and requires serious effort.

Well done. I offer you a high five.

*HIGH FIVE!*

I'm feeling generous, so I'll offer one to Onyxmeth for running the OP around in circles.

*HIGH FIVE!*

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

mesoteto said:
This post makes no sense

1--you try to say the wii is a toy like its a bad but not bad thing, fail to mention that it still caters to hardcore as much as any Nin systems has (it has released the same amount of hardcore games as any other machine at this point in its life)

2-while presenting the wii as a toy you fail to mention that the other systems are in fact toys themselves

3-you try to compare the systems from an artistic point while failing to use that argument correctly (not that it ever could), the problem you have is that devs bring the art not the machines, and there many types of art from realisms to surrealism to Dadaism to Minimalism to movement—so while the 360 and the ps3 might be able to get an edge over the wii in the realism field the wii can get the edge for the kinetic so it’s a flip of a coin

4-you try to justify you toy argument again with a movie award reference, you fail again b/c even if it’s an Oscar over a mtv movie award its still an award, just like it’s a ps3 or a wii its still a toy

You would do best if in the future you do not try to pass of personal opinion as a fact and only back it up with a fraction of an argument

1) i'm saying there are ups and downs, i think you are wrong about that second part as the NES has some of the most hardcore games ever.

2) i know i failed to mention that, this is my first piece so i'm still learning.

3) i'm saying that because of the art style , which is where is failed at pointing out, it has made production a lot cheaper. if all game systems were to adopt this minimal style i think you might be on the counterpoint of your own argument.

4) i meant it to be more that the content of the awards was different, where mtv gives "best kiss" and oscar gives "best book translation"

theprof00 said:
vaio said:
theprof00 said:
vaio said:
theprof00 said:
vaio said:
theprof00 said:
vaio said:
theprof00 said:
I think none of you actually read my piece since you all reasponded within a minute, and i know it takes more than a minute to read.

In serious debate, the wii is more of a toy than it's counterparts. The 360 and ps3 have been working on bringing almost an unrealistic pursuit of "art" in games, whereas the nintedo has been working on having a fun time, not that fun isn't a great thing....

Yes the Wii is more of a toy then the other two and that is why it´s succeding since all consoles are supposed to be toys but the PS3 and the 360 fail in that department.

This is the exact kind of thing i am talking about trying to stop in the first paragraph.

Each has their own market strategy, and the other two don't market themselves as toys.

That´s one of the reasons why Nintendo is winning, the other 2 companies market themselves on the additional functions thay have more then the actuall gaming and by doing so they made it easier for Nintendo to keep selling. Videogames are toys and the media stuff is only something that adds to the experience it doesn´t define it like MS & Sony are trying to do.

No this is what you keep doing vaio. MS and Sony are doing well enough with their own market strategy. i just want people to stop saying that nintendo is a better console maker.

by the same points you could say that harry potter is a better book than any religious book because it markets itself as a book and not a way of life.

No you don´t it quite clear now that you want people to say you made the right choice and Wii is shit. 

What do you mean by: No this is what you keep doing vaio

The end of your post just marks how riddicioulous you are.

i'm sorry you can't hear yourself talking or typing rather.. but you just said that the ps3 and 360 were failing to nintendo's superior strategy. If i recall this is the exact thing i asked people to stop doing because they each have their own strategies, which i referred to in my last rebuttal to you, which you trolled the shit out of.

All three consoles are toys and nothing else MS and Sony have additional function to their toys but they are only additional functions. By not marketing a toy as a toy they are not getting as many customers as they deserv since most costumers that look for videogames are looking for the toy that plays said videogames and when thay don´t see MS and Sony as a toy because of their marketing the only thing left is Nintendo then add that they actually evolve gaming this generation with a new and so much more fun, immersive and cool way to play the choice for the said customer isn´t hard especialy since most videogame customers are not that well educated about videogame companies in general.

you should try using periods, they really help. but yes they are not getting as many customers as they deserve. But this does not mean that they "fail" to a console that is "so much more fun, immersive and cool way to play"

My added point is that i enjoy my console just fine, so stop trying to convince me that it "fails"

I enjoy the 360 too, haven´t bought the PS3 yet but I will and I am sure I will enjoy that too as much as I enjoy the 360.

I am not trying to convince you that they failed because they haven´t but in the world of videogames it´s sales that count and how many you get into buying your console and in this respect they are failing but that doesn´t mean that the consoles them selves are failures.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.