By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - So why do people hate the dreaded Spore DRM (or any DRM) again?

lapsed_gamer said:

2. Those of you who worry about 10 years in the future might not need to. First, Spore 4 might be out by then (porting all your current creations with every release) and second, that limitation might be eliminated by then. A few years from now they might determine the risk that someone may copy an old game is not worth the overhead of running the over-the-phone verification. Similar things have happened with PC games for me.

Final Fantasy XII is out and people still swear any given version before it is the best and play that. Masters of Orion 3 has been out for ages and I won't touch that crap with a 30 foot pole, but I spend hours playing Masters of Orion 2. Your arguementdoes not hold up.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Around the Network

The real purpose of DRM is to limit the customers.
Pirates aren't affected.

Because, if I magically don't have wifi or internet in some area, and I have to install spore, how will I be able to play it without checking in with EA? It's my copy, let me do whatever the heck I want to with it.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

My problem with copyright protection is that it comes back to bite you (the customer) in the ass long after the game's worthless. Remember all those damn keycodes games like Starcraft and C&C came with? Wasn't it fun when you wanted to go back and play the game 5 years later but had tossed/lost the case or insert? Now you've got a completely legit copy of the game but can't play it yet at the same time the game is now worthless so the copyright protection isn't really doing them any good.

With DRM it gets even worse, sometimes it's NICE to uninstall game when you want to free up some hard drive space, some of us upgrade computers every couple years or have hard drives fail or would like to play the game on both our home PC and laptops without buying multiple copies of a game. If DRM with 3 installs was used on Star Craft I'd be on my 3rd copy by now.

I'd be much more in favor of DRM if they put a time limit on it, limit 3 installs for the first 2 years then drop the install cap when no one is really buying it anymore.

I've never had a problem with CD keys or requiring the CD to be in the computer while playing. Tho CD keys are pretty annoying if I lose the case and want to install on a new computer or something. But this kind of DRM puts an excessive burden on me that outweighs the benefits of playing the game when my other options are of similar quality for far less hassle.

Meanwhile the people who share their CDs and download no-disc cracks aren't going to magically switch to buying the games, they're just gonna download the whole game from the start. And the people who were already downloading full games with generated CD keys and no-disc cracks will keep doing so since this does nothing to stop them.

Around the Network
Gnizmo said:
lapsed_gamer said:

2. Those of you who worry about 10 years in the future might not need to. First, Spore 4 might be out by then (porting all your current creations with every release) and second, that limitation might be eliminated by then. A few years from now they might determine the risk that someone may copy an old game is not worth the overhead of running the over-the-phone verification. Similar things have happened with PC games for me.

Final Fantasy XII is out and people still swear any given version before it is the best and play that. Masters of Orion 3 has been out for ages and I won't touch that crap with a 30 foot pole, but I spend hours playing Masters of Orion 2. Your arguementdoes not hold up.

Thanks man. I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with my evening, and I think MoO 2 is just what the doctor ordered.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Lem_Nx said:

I find the argument that DRM is redundant and a nuisance to the average user valid... but I feel the need to use a sarcastic analogy. Please be assured I understand the analogy is flawed.

My prescription medicine can only be legally used by me and is only good for three refills before I ask the doctor for a renewal.

That is BS, I was prescribed the pills and paid good money to the doctor! I should be able to get a refill as many times as I want! I bought it, it should be mine! I have the right to do whatever I want with the drugs. Now I am angry so I am going to go buy some drugs off the street or just not get the medicine at all! We should remove drug regulation!

Doctor = Game company                                                                    

Medicine = game                                                                            

refill = reinstall 

Renewal = Asking Customer Service            

Illegal drugs = Piracy

I know that was a HORRENDOUSLY sarcastic analogy, (and much more serious than simple game DRM) but it works for me. The drug laws prevent people from abusing medication. This works in the same way DRM prevents people from pirating. Of course pirates will get the game anyway. But it is the exact same for the medication. There are still drug dealers out there but not as much as if we had no laws. Same with piracy.

Horrendously sarcastic analogy is bang on. Althought if you apply logic to it, it simply doesn't work. it would work if you could auto "refill" the container for free (replay) so long as you don't lose the container and need to get another one (reinstall)... Bah why am I bothering to apply logic to this, your post is fail.

Gamerace said:
Spore is exactly the type of game I'd play (or imagine I'd play) for many years. In that case, just the odd re-install of Windows due to virus or simply cleaning out the clutter will cause me to hit the 3 install limit. Add new computer. Plus I'd want one copy on my laptop and one on my home PC - both are for my personal use.

Secondly, this eliminates being able to sell it used (or often even give it away). That's good for the publisher yes. But what if your car had a set limit of owners? Or your movies only allowed itself to be played in 3 dvd players over it's life? Or a book could only be read 3 times? Would that normally affect you? No. Would it if it was a favorite movie/book? Hell yes. It's a stupid pratice especially since it's not stopping piracy one bit.

This is the real issue.  I bought the car, or movie, or book.  I am allowed to let anyone I want borrow it if I want.  I can also sell them if I want.  This DRM is designed to stop that.  Even if it doesn't cause me any practical problems, it is wrong on principal alone.  I don't care if I never reinstall more than three times, I should be able to if I want.

SecureROM is a whole other issue, and a load of bullcrap I don't want on my computer.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

You guys all make valid points, but you can't just ignore the piracy issue. From a company's standpoint, should you just completely open up your game to pirates?

I know the Sins of a Solar Empire people did it, and their game sold well I believe.

I'm not saying developers should do the same, but it could work...is this what you all think they should do? This kind of DRM is crap, but shouldn't there be some protection? This is not like using a car 3 times or a book 3 times...you can't download a car off the internet like so many people download games these days.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
You guys all make valid points, but you can't just ignore the piracy issue. From a company's standpoint, should you just completely open up your game to pirates?

I know the Sins of a Solar Empire people did it, and their game sold well I believe.

I'm not saying developers should do the same, but it could work...is this what you all think they should do? This kind of DRM is crap, but shouldn't there be some protection? This is not like using a car 3 times or a book 3 times...you can't download a car off the internet like so many people download games these days.

Yeah. If there is going to be some really harsh piracy requirements for real customers, it should at least absolutely prevent piracy, so those customers don't feel like suckers for buying a gimped version of a game others got for free, while they gleefully laughed and called the people who actually bought the game, idiots.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.