By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Guitar Hero cant live on

I have to admit that I haven't played any of the GH games, but surely you'd be better of just learning how to play a real guitar?

Around the Network
Quantum-Tarantino said:
Rock Band is innovating and expanding

It will sell standalone, or budled with one of the 4 implements of control.
The others will be for sale seperately

Guitar Hero is Stagnating, was sold off, and is being milked at this point.

Harmonix knew what they were doing selling off GH, they are done with it, and by extension, it is done as a franchise.

I'm glad you're already preparing a eulogy for Guitar Hero.

I'll be sure not to laugh too hard when it sells 1m copies again.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Quantum-Tarantino said:

Harmonix knew what they were doing selling off GH, they are done with it, and by extension, it is done as a franchise.

Your thinking to small.  I actually expect it to sell in the multi-million range.  This will be the first time that the series will be on a Nintendo platform.  All us Nintendo fans have never got a chance to play it, but we always hear how great and fun it is.  I figure across all platforms ~2 million.

JHawkNH said:

Your thinking to small.  I actually expect it to sell in the multi-million range.  This will be the first time that the series will be on a Nintendo platform.  All us Nintendo fans have never got a chance to play it, but we always hear how great and fun it is.  I figure across all platforms ~2 million.

I should have specified that I meant at least 1m copies for each platform.

rocketpig said:
Quantum-Tarantino said:

NOWHERE have i said that it WONT sell multimillion copies.

Rock Band will be killing it, not in this iteration, but over time.

Guitar Hero no longer has the creative forces behind it, programming, or controlling it.

Guitar Hero no longer has the company responsible for the music (MTV/Viacom) behind it.

Those are in rock Bands court now.

Add in the same gameplay, most guitar gamers KNOWING that Rock Band is the real Guitar Hero 3, and that they have MUCH bigger plans for Rock Band than a simple single disk game

When the Rock Band Music Store opens, and Guitar Hero cant match it (as Neversoft has no music library to fall back on), we will see the true revenue generation of the music genre

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Around the Network
Quantum-Tarantino said:

NOWHERE have i said that it WONT sell multimillion copies.

Rock Band will be killing it, not in this iteration, but over time.

Guitar Hero no longer has the creative forces behind it, programming, or controlling it.

Guitar Hero no longer has the company responsible for the music (MTV/Viacom) behind it.

Those are in rock Bands court now.

Add in the same gameplay, most guitar gamers KNOWING that Rock Band is the real Guitar Hero 3, and that they have MUCH bigger plans for Rock Band than a simple single disk game

When the Rock Band Music Store opens, and Guitar Hero cant match it (as Neversoft has no music library to fall back on), we will see the true revenue generation of the music genre

.Those are pretty strong words for a game you've never played. I think some of the features they're bringing into GH III are rather new and exciting.

And let's not go off the deep end here and start claiming that Harmonix was legendary at evolving the GH series. Look at the differences between GH I, II, and 80's edition. There's very little there to get excited about other than new songs.

And while I think the music store for RB could be cool, it also sounds like they're trying their best to milk you to death with DLC. Depending on its pricing, it could be a giant hit or an equally giant flop.

In short, you're making grand assumptions when virtually nothing is known about either game.

Rock band fixed the guitar issue of it always being the same. The RB guitar is 10 buttons. 5 for rhytmn playing, and 5 for solos and legato playing up the fretboard.

They'll both compete, GH3 will do better, but RB will probably make more money via all the prepherials.

Rock Band is Guitar Hero + Drum Hero + Bass Hero + Singstar in one game. It's by far the better of the 2.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I am starting to believe that Rock Band is going to kill Guitar Hero.

They announced that Rock Band is going to have downlaodable songs every week...

There is just too much support behind Rock Band, if they flood the market with so many songs to download and play, Guitar Hero will quickly become stale and whither away.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ArtofAngels said:
Crono said:
Ackmed Tepish said:
Rock Band is too expensive to take its place though and too niche to have the same wide of appeal. It require multiple people to play a full ensamble instead of just one player. Regardless technicalities, it can't do as well as Guitar Hero. It might live on like DDR, but most likely will be a fad, making peoples buy new songs is a rip off and a short lived gimmick I assure you.

Each instrument in Rock Band is its own fully featured game (except bass guitar).  You don't NEED 4 people to play each instrument, you only need 1, yourself, and the game will cover the other parts.  And if you have 2 friends, you can play 2 instruments and the game will cover the leftovers.

Rock band is literally 4 times the game GH3 is.

O RLY?

Have you played both of them?

Did you read my post other than the last line?  It has a guitar game (1), a drum game (2), a singing game (3), and a custom band with all your friends game (4).

Thats 4 games.  Gutar Hero has guitar game (1) and...

Therefore, Rock band is literally 4 times the game Guitar Hero is.

EDIT:  And the other point I was going to make:  Guitar Hero, and rythm games in general, will never go out of style.  Look at DDR and all its clones, and how long they have lasted since the beginning.  RockBand/Guitar Hero will be the same.

Witty signature here...

Wii: 14 million by January  I sold myself short

360: 13 million by January I sold microsoft short, but not as bad as Nintendo.

PS3: 6 million by January. If it approaches 8 mil i'll eat crow  Mnn Crow is yummy.

With these results, I've determined that I suck at long term predictions, and will not long term predict anything ever again. Thus spaketh Crono.

I'd be all for Rock Band if it didn't have the vocals...

I don't want to sing, save for a few epic songs...half the songs are gonna be ones I don't generally know anyway.

And I don't really want to hear my friends sing, because, for the most part...they can't hehe.

If any of us get Rock Band, we'll just play without vocals.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )