By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - 3 reasons for nintendo to be worried

javascript:hideCL3O7MDG()

Even with Nintendo riding high in the industry they need to start worrying. Here are 3 eligible reasons for why Nintendo needs to worry. 

1. Xbox 360 Price Drop: With the fairly recent price drop of the Xbox 360, the Xbox is now cheaper than a Wii. This means that if Microsoft start to advertise more, especially with releases such as Viva Piñata and the soon Banjo Kazooie, all those “hockey moms” (Sarah Palin joke ) who watch TV and who are starting to look for Christmas gifts will start to want to buy all those Xboxs that are in shops right now , which brings us to our next point….
  2. The Wii Shortage: Even with the Wii shortage, those cheaply made pieces of hardware are still selling like crazy! This could soon change though, with that Xbox price drop (^look above^) and with people having trouble finding a damned Wii. Long ago, everyone was saying that it was a marketing ploy by Nintendo with the shortage but as time goes on and a person can’t find a Wii, that person will start to look for something else.
  3.  Those Hardcore Gamers: After Nintendo’s, how do I say this… crap E3, they lost some hardcore gamers, not only Nintendo hardcore gamers but all types of hardcore gamers. With a game like The Conduit coming out though, it is the perfect opportunity for Nintendo to get some hardcore gamers on their side again. Now only Nintendo needs to pray that High Voltage Software™ promotes the game to its full extent. The only way I see how Nintendo can get more hardcore gamers is if they get more of these action FPS games made. 

my view:

1. its a fair point but will it cut into wii sales that much?
2. This is definately a problem. people want the console but the holiday sales will depend much more on supply than demand

3. yes a lot of people complained on the interent but how many of those actually sold thier wii? wii music and animal crossing should secure high hardware sales and those wanting something a bit more hardcore can turn to disaster or third partys. if third party sales  are high for hardcore games the conversion of third partys to wii could speed up.

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia

Around the Network

People have been complaining about point #2 since the Wii has launched. I don't think it has hurt them much.

The 360 price drop is of no concern: the only model cheaper than the Wii is the gimped version that nobody, even among people who don't know anything about the 360, has been willing to touch with a 10-foot pole.

Those who call themselves "hardcore" have pretty much all gone to the 360 anyway, and no one is going to stop the rest from getting their puerile endocrine fix. Real gamers, including the core market, find much to appreciate on the Wii, and Nintendo doesn't need insecure adolescent males to win the market anyway.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

1. 360 price drop: so? will anyone buy the 360 instead of the Wii? no.

2. Shortages: Nintendo is working on it. And they exist only because the Wii sells so well. Nintendo will secure huge shipments by christmas.

3. Hardcore gamers have lots of good 3rd party titles to look out for. If Nintendo doesn't make them soon, it doesn't mean no one else will.

Millennium said:
The 360 price drop is of no concern: the only model cheaper than the Wii is the gimped version that nobody, even among people who don't know anything about the 360, has been willing to touch with a 10-foot pole.

Those who call themselves "hardcore" have pretty much all gone to the 360 anyway, and no one is going to stop the rest from getting their puerile endocrine fix. Real gamers, including the core market, find much to appreciate on the Wii, and Nintendo doesn't need insecure adolescent males to win the market anyway.

I don't say this a lot (people know) but this is an post with excellent points!

+1 sir.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Around the Network

my thoughts:
1 - no. I think a lot of people are going to realize that the arcade is a crippled version of the 360 and not want it
2 - Always an issue, but smart people have gone out and are buying them NOW as they are a little easier to find. With the unit approaching its 2nd birthday, people got the hint that you're not going to automatically walk into a store and find one during the holidays.
3 - E3 generally holds no interest for anyone since they changed it. Many people didn't expect anything from anyone at E3. The only people that were actually disappointed were the fans who heard rumors of Kid Icarus and F Zero. While there were no "core" games announced, suddenly we get get Day of Crisis out of the blue. 3rd party offerings also seem to keep the crowd content.

I don't forsee any of the issues really being issues at all. People who want a cheap 360 will get the arcade, but parents turn into cavemen in the stores. They know Wii. They dont know 360, unless their kids requested that. I've never even once seen or heard of a parent substituting a christmas present request with a runner-up "eh, good enough" present.

nintendo only needs to worry about the ps3.....when ff13 comes out.. all hell will break lose in japan

The xbox360 price drop is apparently going to spark pandemonium judging by these random websites predicting TEH DOOM for the other 2 consoles

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Nintendo should be worried about Miyamoto and his fascination with kids. Something is a little odd there...a man in his 40's obsessed with kids games.

Not really. Just like all of the other post-launch HD games to date, FFXIII has already moved almost all of the hardware that it's going to move. That's just how HD console owners have chosen to act as a group: buy the machine early and wait for the games. It's great for early sales, but it's why games like GTA4 and even the mighty Halo 3 have failed to produce permanent sales boosts after they launched: their sales boosts came right at the beginning.

When FFXIII launches in Japan, there will be a bump in hardware sales for maybe two weeks, and then sales will drop back to their previous levels. Maybe three weeks at the absolute most.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.