By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Square-enix TGS 2008 games

Paul_Warren said:

In my opinion KHIII is either going to be there on PS3 or not at all. I don't know why Wii fans keep saying its destined to be on their system because most of the fans of the first two games haven't purchased a Wii and the PS3 is doing fine and will continue to increase the size of its install base.

Square-Enix only cares about the "existing fanbase" insofar as they can continue to provide S-E with more money than the alternative. If Square-Enix ever gets even the slightest hint that they could make more money on a franchise by switching consoles, they will do so. They've done so multiple times in the past, and will do so again if they find it feasible. Despite what you may have heard about Japanese business culture, Square-Enix has no misguided loyalties. They follow the money as best they know how, and they know it very well indeed.

And frankly, the writing is on the wall for Kingdom Hearts. It's obvious to pretty much everyone that Square-Enix would make more money on that franchise if it appeared on the Wii. The "existing fanbase" would be a drop in the Blue Ocean, especially seeing as many of them have jumped ship to other consoles already: S-E wouldn't even have to sacrifice much of the existing fanbase at all. They know this, and so does Disney. Sony frankly cannot afford to moneyhat the game enough to counter this.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

can't wait for FF13 & FF V 13 gameplay!

SHOCKING there is no Wii support...

n its so stupid of people to say ZOMG no KH3 on that list.....well they aren't exactly gonna spill out their big surprises before hand!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:

n its so stupid of people to say ZOMG no KH3 on that list.....well they aren't exactly gonna spill out their big surprises before hand!

In case u missed i posted some news that there wont be any gameplay only trailers.

SE love the DS but hate the Wii

"And frankly, the writing is on the wall for Kingdom Hearts. It's obvious to pretty much everyone that Square-Enix would make more money on that franchise if it appeared on the Wii. The "existing fanbase" would be a drop in the Blue Ocean, especially seeing as many of them have jumped ship to other consoles already: S-E wouldn't even have to sacrifice much of the existing fanbase at all. They know this, and so does Disney. Sony frankly cannot afford to moneyhat the game enough to counter this."

How have rpgs done so far on the Wii especially in comparison to how they have done on the PS2?  All these people that have purchased a Wii for Wii Sports and Wii Fit are no more likely to buy KH III than are 360 shooter fans.

Sony knows that its fans will buy this game if it is on the PS3 and speaking as a longtime Square Enix and Sony fan, if they move the game to Wii, then I'm not going to buy it, so I guess they can scratch me off as one potential customer that they're going to lose by making the switch and I predict that I am far from the only longtime fan of the series that they would also lose by moving it to Wii. So, the question becomes alienate your longtime fans whom you know will buy the game on the PS3 and want the game with much better visuals, etc, than were possible in the previous gen; or move it on to the Wii a system whose graphics capabilities aren't so far evolved, where you know the game wouldn't have as much pep as would be possible on the PS3, and try to establish a new fan base to purchase the game and hope that it really wants the game as much as your old fanbase for the game.

They could move it to the Wii and make it exclusive, but doing so really is no guarantee of increasing the game's sales.

My most anticipated games:  Whatever Hideo Kojima is going to do next, Final Fantasy XIII, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Gran Turismo 5, Alan Wake, Wii Sports Resort.  Cave Story Wiiware.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqqLMgbtrB8

Around the Network
Paul_Warren said:

How have rpgs done so far on the Wii especially in comparison to how they have done on the PS2?  All these people that have purchased a Wii for Wii Sports and Wii Fit are no more likely to buy KH III than are 360 shooter fans.

How have RPGs done on any of the current-gen consoles, especially as compared to how they did on the PS2? In fact, why are we even including the PS2 at all, since it's not the major competitor to these consoles anymore? Let's compare to the PS3. Only you wouldn't much like the results if we tried to do that: the Wii is trouncing the PS3 in RPGs.

"Sony knows that its fans will buy this game if it is on the PS3..."

Sony has basically no say in the matter. All they can do is moneyhat, and I guarantee you that they cannot moneyhat enough to counter the massive potential of the Wii fanbase as far as this particular series is concerned. S-E knows it, and Disney knows it, and between them Sony is screwed.

"and speaking as a longtime Square Enix and Sony fan, if they move the game to Wii, then I'm not going to buy it, so I guess they can scratch me off as one potential customer that they're going to lose by making the switch..."

"...and I predict that I am far from the only longtime fan of the series that they would also lose by moving it to Wii."

Yeah. You're one of maybe a thousand at most: so small that you'll disappear into the margin of error when the final sales figures come in. Square-Enix doesn't care about whiners like that, because ultimately even most fanboys aren't that unreasonable. And truth be told, you aren't either. You'll buy it no matter what platform it comes out on; the only difference is that you'll whine about it for a month or two beforehand.

"So, the question becomes alienate your longtime fans whom you know will buy the game on the PS3 and want the game with much better visuals, etc, than were possible in the previous gen; or move it on to the Wii a system whose graphics capabilities aren't so far evolved, where you know the game wouldn't have as much pep as would be possible on the PS3, and try to establish a new fan base to purchase the game and hope that it really wants the game as much as your old fanbase for the game."

Ah, yes: BAWWWWW i wants my shiny pix BAWWWWW. The game can be better on the Wii than it could possibly be on the PS3, not that Square-Enix particularly cares about that. What they want is money, and there's money in the Wii fanbase for this series that there simply isn't for the PS3.

"They could move it to the Wii and make it exclusive, but doing so really is no guarantee of increasing the game's sales."

Simple demographics, my friend. We're talking 101-level college stuff here; nothing terribly difficult.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Hmmm, to those saying that SE has something huge for the Wii, something secret. What did SE announce last year at TGS? Anyone knows? Those who think SE will support Wii are just wishfully thinking, why believe that SE will have something to announce, I've been hearing that same crap before E3, and just look at what we got.

I'm afraid that IS the final list, and possibly next year the news from them at TGS regardings the Wii is that they no longer consider it a console and that FFCC:CB is a PSP/HD title now.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Tbone said:
darthdevidem01 said:

In case u missed i posted some news that there wont be any gameplay trailers.

oh.....I'll check the thread out

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
Tbone said:
darthdevidem01 said:

In case u missed i posted some news that there wont be any gameplay trailers.

oh.....I'll check the thread out

If thats true than it sucks, i was really hoping for some gameplay.

trestres said:
Hmmm, to those saying that SE has something huge for the Wii, something secret. What did SE announce last year at TGS? Anyone knows? Those who think SE will support Wii are just wishfully thinking, why believe that SE will have something to announce, I've been hearing that same crap before E3, and just look at what we got.

I'm afraid that IS the final list, and possibly next year the news from them at TGS regardings the Wii is that they no longer consider it a console and that FFCC:CB is a PSP/HD title now.

Haha, that pessimism is just too funny... so FFCC:CB is in development, but I guess it turned out to be too good for the Wii 

I also just love how these KH3 debates spring up in every thread...