By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Am I the only one who wants the next Gen. to start in 20 months from now?

I was just wondering if you want to see this generation to end that fast or to last longer.

This year and next year we will have seen all the must-have games. There was a Halo3, Gears of War 1+2, MGS4, Resident Evil, God of War, Fallout³, Fable², Killzone², GTA IV, Halo Wars, Final Fantasy, all Nintendo franchises made their way etc.

But then, this generation is pretty much done. Okay, we don't know about the games coming out in 2010 yet, but I just don't think they will have an impact on this generation.

Every Generation has some games that define a generation, Sonic / Super Mario World in the SNES/Genesis days, Zelda OoT during N64/PSX/Saturn, Halo Combat evolved or GTA: SA in the PS2/Xbox/GCN time etc. I can't remember a game coming out in the last fourth of a generations lifecycle that defined this generation afterwards. This won't change this generation.

The problem is the price of the consoles and the financial situation right now. Just MS could have an interest to end this generation. Nintendo would be stupid to announce a successor for the wii in 20 months. They just want to milk the cash cow as long as possible. Sony still needs to get out of the red. This needs time. Right now, they are still selling consoles with a loss but they break more or less even with software sales. It will take a while to get the 2-3 billion back they lost last years. If they manage it this generation.

MS made a profit last year, but they need to get the losses in they made since the Xbox360. They might break even in 20 months. Besides that it wouldn't hurt MS as bad as any other competitor.

But talking as a gamer: Games like Gears of War2 or R2 look already great, I just want to know what could be possible with a new generation of hardware in 20 months.

Do you agree with me or do you think it would hurt the gaming industry?

Please keep this thread clean of flames and fanboy-stuff. THANK YOU and / discuss

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

I would hate if new consoles will come out in the next 20 months. Developers are just getting used to these consoles and they will have to start over again. Plus, gaming companies are already spending millions of dollars to make games look good and at this point it is not hardware that holds back graphics but budget. Hell, Final Fantasy 13 is not coming out until at least next year and it has been in development even before the generation started, and FF games are supposed to be great visual experiences.

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3

You list GTA: San Andreas as a generation defining game and then say you don't remember a game coming out late in the generation ever being huge? Xbox 360 released in 2005, and San Andreas was released in 2004. Is that enough to disprove your claims or would you like more?

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

"I can't remember a game coming out in the last fourth of a generations lifecycle that defined this generation afterwards. This won't change this generation."

This was the only statement I have a true problem with as SotC was released in october 05, while the PS3 came out in november 06. SotC was easily one of the games that defined the generation for me last generation. Hell, Persona 3 came out July 06 in Japan, and that game was the best RPG I played from that generation of consoles. So I definitely think that games that come later in a generation can be incredible and define their generation.

It would be too early if u ask me.

Around the Network

Hell no, The longer we the generation goes on the better, Plus all the Top quality games can get sequels. the longer this generation lasts the better the next consoles will be.

yes you are the only one thinking that.

Chemical said:
I would hate if new consoles will come out in the next 20 months. Developers are just getting used to these consoles and they will have to start over again. Plus, gaming companies are already spending millions of dollars to make games look good and at this point it is not hardware that holds back graphics but budget. Hell, Final Fantasy 13 is not coming out until at least next year and it has been in development even before the generation started, and FF games are supposed to be great visual experiences.

No they shouldn't be released in the next 20 months, they should be announced in 20 months. Released in 26 months or something. Let all the good games I mentioned be released and then...

blazinhead89 said:
Hell no, The longer we the generation goes on the better, Plus all the Top quality games can get sequels. the longer this generation lasts the better the next consoles will be.

You don't think the games will get sequels on another advanced console?

It's too early, Sony won't make a new one because they need to get out of the red. Nintendo is making lots of money. Microsoft is finnally making a profit, so if any of them make a new console it would be stupid.

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."