By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Civilization confirmed for Wii, DS

Ummm.

You CAN play Civ with a joypad. Unfortunately, none of you remember when Civlization WAS a console game. Civ 1 and 2 were on SNES and PS1 respectively.

It'll work. Hopefully, Sid doesn't dumb down the series for console owners. The longer and harder, the better!

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network

i've said this in the past, and i'll say it again: why would you want to play civ on a console?

the Wii is an epidemic.

Well if it's an actual RTS on the DS, I'll be happy.

Age of Empires was a let-down, even if the game wasn't that bad...the stylus makes for a good RTS control...it's just the raw horsepower that is lacking...

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Well if it's an actual RTS on the DS, I'll be happy.

Age of Empires was a let-down, even if the game wasn't that bad...the stylus makes for a good RTS control...it's just the raw horsepower that is lacking...

Civilization is turn-based, not Real Time Strategy

Oh, well...then there ya go.

I've never played any of the games...I'm apparently deprived.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

Yes, yes you are deprived.

Civ is to nation building, as Sim City is to city building. The only difference is you can nuke your opponents in Civ, and is far more interesting.

Why play Civ on a console? Because consoles don't need upgraded. I haven't got Civ4 because I can't plunk $1000 down on a new PC rig when I'd be buying it for that one game. Civ is turn-based, there'll be no real disadvantage to it on a console vs. PC if it remains turn based. Some of my favorite RTS's are on consoles, and I know that if they don't gimp (and I am sure they'll screw us console owners over on this), the actual aspects of Civ, it'll be fine.

Just.....give me 6000 years of playing, plus space race, better battle sequences, and the same thing as C4, and I'd be happy. Heck, give me a graphical upgrade of C2 with better battle mechanics and I'd be fine.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

mrstickball said:
Ummm.

You CAN play Civ with a joypad. Unfortunately, none of you remember when Civlization WAS a console game. Civ 1 and 2 were on SNES and PS1 respectively.

It'll work. Hopefully, Sid doesn't dumb down the series for console owners. The longer and harder, the better!

None of us mr stickball?  I did mention playing Civilization on the SNES (I played it so much the game died, the only NES/SNES/N64 that I killed).  I loved it then but playing it recently with a control pad on my computer was an exercise in pure frustration.  It'll work, and gamers who don't have a computer or Wii won't realize how terrible the controls are so they won't know better. 

As a side note, you don't need a $1,000 computer to enjoy Civ 4. My gf recently bought a $600 laptop that plays Civ 4 with max settings except AA.  My year old $1,200 laptop plays it maxed out with no difficulty.  The computer I built 2 years ago for $500 plays it on the low settings.  A couple hundred should do it though of course if you don't want any other computer games that is a pretty steep price even for a Civ game.

I also hope they don't dumb this down.  Civ 1 and 2 were both straight translations but I can't think of too many console strategy games that have been that true to their PC roots in the last decade.

I can think of two reasons why Civ 4 will turn out better on consoles this time around.

Reason 1: The high def 360 and PS3 will allow you to better view all the little action going on.

Reason 2: The Wii pointer (and DS stylus) will make the game much easier to navigate on those two consoles.

So everybody wins.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

The game that killed countless hours of my life is returning to do some more killing...

mrstickball said:
Ummm...
 ...The longer and harder, the better!

Wow, uhhh mrstickball.... I uh..

well, I... I never knew you were like that...

Here's a video from my band's last show Check out more (bigger) videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/icemanout