By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Star Ocean IV has the 'only on Xbox 360' label

The labels are quite easily explained as "it's a sales trick". For the people who aren't either more informed than the average dude, or the blatant fanboys of other platforms, they go into a shop and see these labels. It states at the time that you can't play the games on other platforms. Correct me if I'm wrong, whilst several of these games later became multiplat, when released, all the labels were accurate. Which is the point. Games like Bioshock and Lost Planet prove the worth of the label. Both well past the "million seller" milestone, they've already done the business for MS and the 360. The fact that Lost Planet came out much later on PS3 and sold nothing like the 360 numbers underlines it.

Will you teach me to football?

Around the Network

also ppl have to stop saying about infinite undiscovery maybe coming to the ps3, ms owns the ip.

GAMERTAG IS ANIMEHEAVEN X23

PSN ID IS : ANIMEREALM 

PROUD MEMBER OF THE RPG FAN CLUB THREAD

ALL-TIME FAVORITE JRPG IS : LOST ODYSSEY

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=52882&page=1

As others stated: It's either timed exlusive or permanent. MS needs to change the label.

Bioshock said only for PC and 360 right on the top. It is now coming out for the PS3, but near a year later.

Gears of War came out for the PC over a year later.

Mass Effect said 360 only but came out for the PC a year later.

Dead Rising and Lost Planet both came out for other systems OVER a year later.

Amped 3, PGR4, Halo 3, Wartech and Earth Defense Force are still exclusive.

Contrary to what people say, my release copy of Eternal Sonata never had a "Only For" logo and was/still is exclusive for near a year.

Hey, if your willing to wait a year for a game more power to you. But I wish MS would change their rule on "Only for" 360 when most come out for other systems.

Im guessing Star Ocean will be exclusive for a year or more.

Here are the current "exclusives" for the 360 right now (console AND PC wise):

• America's Army: True Soldier (Console version)
  • Amped 3
  • Banjo-Kazooie
  • Beautiful Katamari (Wii version never released yet)
  • Blue Dragon
  • Bomberman: Act Zero (yuck)
  • Bulletwitch
  • Chrome Hounds
  • Crackdown
  • Culdcept Saga
  • DDR Universe 1-3
  • DOA 4
  • DOA Xtreme Volleyball 2
  • EDF 2017
  • Far Cry Instincts Predator (also a XBOX OG version was released)
  • Full Auto (only the first one)
  • Fable 2
  • Forza 2 and the future Forza 3
  • Guilty Gear Overture
  • All future Halo games
  • Idolmaster (Japan only)
  • Import Tuner Challenge
  • KUF: Circle of Doom
  • Kengo 9
  • Lips
  • Lost Odyssey (at the moment)
  • Magna Carte 2 (Canned?)
  • Moto GP 06/07 (THQ produced ones)
  • Ninja Gaiden 2 (for now)
  • Ninety Nine Nights
  • Over G Fighters (yuck)
  • Operation Darkness
  • PD0
  • PGR Series
  • Ridge Racer 6
  • Rumble Roses XX
  • Project Sylpheed (Who says we can't get Exclusive Square-Enix games :P?)
  • Saints Row 1 (Never saw the PS3 version come out)
  • Scene It! Series
  • Spectral Force 3
  • Tales of Vesperai (for now)
  • Tenchu Z
  • Too Human series
  • The Outfit
  • Warhammer: Battle March
  • Viva Pinata 2
  • Wartech
  • Zoids Assault

So console "exclusives" are harder to find on the 360 unless they are first party. That seems to be the case these days. As always any of these titles can get ported later on.

It's just that simple.

forevercloud3000 said:
mrstickball said:
Hephaestos said:

I'm the only real JRPG fan, I dunno who the others that said that are but they lied to you. What?? I have a hudge ego to say i'm the only real something?? umh?

I like RPGs and I was planing on getting a PS3 just because of FF... too expensive, then 360 had nice cheap bundles so bought one (altough I initially thought I would never get one because of price and lack of interest in the games)... and then the FF news made me say goodbye to any possibility that I buy a PS3 and hordendously happy that I did buy my 360 in a cheap ass bundle.

So no with prices dropping I doubt "real JRPG" fans will wait, they'll go for the cheap and early realease and enjoy LO as a bonnus...

I think your kind of on to something with this...

JRPG fans are one of the most hard core user bases out there. I guess my question is: Why would they be so poorly informed about what JRPGs are available, to the point of chosing a more expensive, inferior console like the PS3 for JRPGs?

Exspensive, yes. Inferior, no. And the thing that makes JRPG fans hold out for the PS3 is because they have much higher hopes for the PS3 exclusive RPGs. TOV and Eternal Sonata are the only good JRPGs on the 360 in my opinion. ES is coming to PS3 already this christmas. A tales game is already said to be in the works for the PS3 console. The PS3 ones are mmuch more appealing. Even when PS3 lost FFXIII we still have Versus exclusive. I can tell you that for every one FF game that comes out it is worth at least 5 mediocre ones that comes out. White Knight Story is said to look great by most fans. Disgaea is good if you can get past the fact that it is still 2D. Folklore is a superb game but many dont know it is actually an action RPG, so it gets overlooked by the consumer. Valkyria Chronicles looks to be a sleeper hit as all previews say it is doing something un heard of in the RPG world. Many get confused with which system is better for JRPGs because of the 360's quantity. What real RPG fans are looking for is QUALITY!

And for anyone wondering, I did not forget about Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon. I thought Lost Odyssey was boring, and Blue Dragon was a joke(do over).

Sorry to break your hopes and dreams, but no, it is not. It was speculation by Famitsu that since 360 and Wii had gotten their own Tales of-games, PS3 might get one - But Namco later confirmed that their next Tales of-title is planned for the Wii.

Part of the reason for this is Tri Ace doesn't like Sony atm because it had trouble developing Star Ocean 3 correctly (it didn't run right on some PS2 consoles, since its one of the ONLY games that had the problems the original release of SO3 had I blame Tri Ace which has never been an A list developer anyway). This means that they may very well not make a PS3 version, though if SO4 ends up just another 7.0 game like Infinate Undiscovery I don't think thats a world ender at all.

It's about dividing Square and Enix. Square was a developer, Enix was a publisher so in the case of a game like FFXIII or a new Kingdom Hearts that is a square game, but in the case of something like Infinate Undiscovery or Star Ocean they're just publishing for Tri Ace. Square games will almost certainly come out on PS3 in all cases (except handheld games obviously), while Enix published games can go anywhere (and are usually inferior in quality to Square games, I can think of 20 A list Square games but have a hard time thinking of even a handful from Enix pre merger). I wish they had never merged, Square was 100x better before Enix happened.

PSN ID: ChosenOne feel free to add me

Around the Network

Yups Bioschock also had that seal:

Does it mean Star Ocean 4 will also be on PS3?  No.

Does it  mean Star Ocean 4  will only be on Xbox 360 for sure?  No.

mrstickball said:
Only on Xbox 360..........

Unless it sells bad........

it will don't worry. :P

The same happened with re4 it had the only for gamecube but it was later ported for the ps2.

Impulsivity said:
Part of the reason for this is Tri Ace doesn't like Sony atm because it had trouble developing Star Ocean 3 correctly (it didn't run right on some PS2 consoles, since its one of the ONLY games that had the problems the original release of SO3 had I blame Tri Ace which has never been an A list developer anyway). This means that they may very well not make a PS3 version, though if SO4 ends up just another 7.0 game like Infinate Undiscovery I don't think thats a world ender at all.

It's about dividing Square and Enix. Square was a developer, Enix was a publisher so in the case of a game like FFXIII or a new Kingdom Hearts that is a square game, but in the case of something like Infinate Undiscovery or Star Ocean they're just publishing for Tri Ace. Square games will almost certainly come out on PS3 in all cases (except handheld games obviously), while Enix published games can go anywhere (and are usually inferior in quality to Square games, I can think of 20 A list Square games but have a hard time thinking of even a handful from Enix pre merger). I wish they had never merged, Square was 100x better before Enix happened.

SO3 has trouble runing on some of the PS2s because Tri-Ace didn't properly test for bugs due to the at the time upcoming merger with Square and Enix. Oh and about those 20 A list Square games. I assume 15 of those were released during the SNES and PS1 eras

SO4 will get better reviews than IU.  I can garentee it.  Better graphics, more polished gameplay=review scores in between 8.0 and 9.0

Hey i'm not saying that PS3 has nothing to look for (Versus definitely is still appealing... but is stuck alone with a $400 backpack), I'm saying that high profile RPGs (tales and SOIV) jumping ships will make it so Die Hard RPG fans will get an Xbox, especially because of the price drops that make the arcade cheap. They may still get PS3s later but considering these high profile games and the loz 360 price, they will go for it.

(and no, free online, Blue Ray and DLC don't matter much for RPGs... an extra dungeon isn't all that wooping ^^, but 1 year head start at the game is nice enough to pay)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO