By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LBP will be Mario killer

LBP has a POTENTIAL. =)
Now it depends mostly on advertising compain, if Sony won`t be stupid this time(since they don`t advertise their games usually), the game will be BIG in terms of sales.

No matter, what will be this year sales, the game sill sell 10 mln. LTD atleast.

Now, i only wonder, how Japanese gamers will welcome this game. This is Very unpredictable. =]

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

yo_john117 said:
what did rock on do to be banned? yes this thread was rather pointless, but i don't think that he needed to be banned for it??

someone please explain how this banning works so it wont happen to me. thanks

Rock on gets banned all the time. I think hes the only dude that i remember being banned a couple of times before.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

yo_john117 said:
what did rock on do to be banned? yes this thread was rather pointless, but i don't think that he needed to be banned for it??

someone please explain how this banning works so it wont happen to me. thanks

everything is explained here

http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

megaman79 said:

Rock on gets banned all the time. I think hes the only dude that i remember being banned a couple of times before.

leo-j got banned tons of times. In fact, he was even proud of the fact that he got banned at least 10 times.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

lol, Dont see why he got banned honestly. Ah well

Around the Network

He prob. got banned coz of some other post he made

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Why will a figure for a 2.5D platformer with a level editor "kill" an iconic video game figure who has been around more than a quarter century?

Answer: it can't.

Basically, LBP looks very nice. But will it sell a lot of new consoles -- that is the question. Personally, I doubt it will have a long-term effect. Nothing this generation has really changed the game since all the consoles were released. And I can't see a game that just has the vibe to me of critical success, commercial so-so doing that.

Remember, to be a commercial success, the game has to appeal to those people who buy 2-3 games a year, not 2-3 games a month like the posters here. If we were the judge, the attach rates for consoles would be nearer to 50 rather than less than 10.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

CrazzyMan said:
LBP has a POTENTIAL. =)
Now it depends mostly on advertising compain, if Sony won`t be stupid this time(since they don`t advertise their games usually), the game will be BIG in terms of sales.

No matter, what will be this year sales, the game sill sell 10 mln. LTD atleast.

Now, i only wonder, how Japanese gamers will welcome this game. This is Very unpredictable. =]

Really, Sony fanboys wishful thinking is unbelievable.

Heck, MGS4 or GTA4, games bigger and more hyped than LBP are struggling to reach 5 million, and you expect LBP to sell 10 million?

I'm not sure LBP needs to be a Mario killer, Nintendo already killed him with the leap to 3D. I'm not saying the 3D Mario games are bad, they are just bad Mario games.

Griffin said:
I'm not sure LBP needs to be a Mario killer, Nintendo already killed him with the leap to 3D. I'm not saying the 3D Mario games are bad, they are just bad Mario games.

What are you talking about?

Super Mario 64 is still one of the best 3D platformers. Is still very enjoyable these days. And Super Mario Galaxy was one of the best games from last year, awarding Game of the Year (together with BioShock) in several websites and magazines.

Heck, Super Mario Galaxy is better reviewed than every PS3 exclusive, even more than MGS4.