By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 sold out at some stores?

Was at the local Best Buy this past Sunday and some guy was buying the last one. Of course, he asked if it could be hooked up to his surround sound and the guy selling it didn't have a clue. He kept looking a the side of the box and trying to see what ports were on the back. I had to butt in and tell him about the different cable options, but he eventually walked out with the last PS3 they had. I should have asked for a commission on the sale.

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Around the Network

Thats hard to say. It may bleed into Holiday sales but I doubt it. i would say sales will see an increase for about 3 to 4 weeks and then decline until the end of October, then seeing another small surge leading into the holidays. At the end of November though, most sony downing enthusiasts are going to be surprised as many consumers will get a PS3 as a Blu-ray player for the home now that the format war is said to have been won. Blockbuster going Blu-ray was a confirmation of this fact moreso than an influencing factor.

Sony also having won the format war will now start to focus marketing on the PS3 specifically, they already have in some areas like the detailed PR videos at Walmart. This will further leverage. Xbox 360 because of its lineup will sell very well as a game machine, but Sony's Blu-ray will push sells very close to the 360 but it might not catch it this holiday. By next holiday though, PS3 will be closing that gap, not because of games but the movie player. Next holiday is the one that PS3 will become a big entity. Wii will keep chugging along like the DS did.

Alright why doesnt anybody go to gamestop.com and check the stock around your are by putting the zip code on the yellow square to the right just beloe the price, then post it here to see how its been around the country.

mM

from 13090 (Syracuse NY) in a 200 mile radius, all EB except 1 have stock. The majority have 4+ and a few have 1-3. The majority of the stores do NOT have "more on the way". So only 1 out of stock out of over 100 EB/GameStop.

Both CC and BB have stock in the Syracuse NY area and only 1 (Ithica NY) CC is out of stock. All other locations have stock.

From my analysis, the PS3 demand has not changed.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

The Gamestop stop indicator says on the SAME page that the stock updates are not very dynamic, and that availability can vary widely from what the page says. Therefore, that indication is certainly not perfect.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Around the Network

Also this is a recent shift. Any numbers that those pages have are probably inaccurate and will take a day or two to update. Notice the disclaimer that the systems could be sold before getting to the store, that is just saving face because figures aren't up to the minute.

i know EB isn't up to the minute. BB and CC are closer, but still its noon and they are typically (as in most decent systems) within a few hours. Also, i thought it went on sale yesterday.

If you drop a PS3 right on top of a Wii, it would definitely defeat it. Not so sure about the Xbox360. - mancandy
In the past we played games. In the future we watch games. - Forest-Spirit
11/03/09 Desposit: Mod Bribery (RolStoppable)  vg$ 500.00
06/03/09 Purchase: Moderator Privilege  vg$ -50,000.00

Nordlead Jr. Photo/Video Gallery!!! (Video Added 4/19/10)

clandecyon said:
The PS3 has already failed at a $499 price as a game machine. The only thing that has really changed since the 20GB model was dropped was that Blu-ray has more or less won the format war. Most of these people have been waiting for this to happen to nab a Blu-ray player. This surge by no means will break into the casual market and will only last for a limited time.

And what exactly makes you an expert of what people want?

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

nordlead said:
from 13090 (Syracuse NY) in a 200 mile radius, all EB except 1 have stock. The majority have 4+ and a few have 1-3. The majority of the stores do NOT have "more on the way". So only 1 out of stock out of over 100 EB/GameStop.

Both CC and BB have stock in the Syracuse NY area and only 1 (Ithica NY) CC is out of stock. All other locations have stock.

From my analysis, the PS3 demand has not changed.

Yes, by going to GS/BB and CC websites it says they are either in stock or not, they don't tell you the exact number they have and how many they have sold do they?  So, what qualifies you as being able to give a honest analysis?

Get your Portable ID!

My pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my charizard.

Burn!!!!