By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If one genre had to die..

Did any of you who say sports games play PS1 or PS2 with 2 multitaps? 8 players at the same time on one game is a hella fun... and only doable in sports games. (though is there even the possibility for 8 players anymore? wii and 360 are limited to 4, dunno about PS3).

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

I don't know if this qualifies as a genre but I would vote for fishing games.

I don't think any genre should die, but I think fewer games should be released for the sports and FPS genres.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

FPS

In order of needing death the most to least:

1. Sports: Go out an try real sports for a change.
2. TBRPGs that consider a storyline a substitute for decent gameplay.
3. MMORPGs: time-wasting, life-eating timesinks.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Around the Network

Interesting.

A lot of sports haters and rhythm game haters here.

Of course, without the money from sports and music, there would not be enough to cover R&D for other genres.

So be careful what you seek.

I agree with those who said movie-tie-ins. These are usually worse than shovelware because they are full price and are pretentious. And even fewer of them are good games than shovelware -- which can be fun sometimes for short bursts (especially when unintentionally funny).

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

Sports games. If I ever want to play a sport I go outside and play it for real. A waste, IMO >.> I dislike rythm/music games but they don't really bother me that much.

I also dislike movie-tie-ins

ameratsu said:

I don't hate music games like guitar hero, but one thing I really really want is more controller based music/rhythm games (ie: Frequency, Amplitude). Since harmonix has made a killing doing GH/RB i doubt I'll ever see another one. :(

Well, they made Phase just last year.

I'm not a hardcore gamer.  I'm not a casual gamer.  I'm a gamer.

mike_intellivision said:

Of course, without the money from sports and music, there would not be enough to cover R&D for other genres.

I don't recall Mario Baseball, Soccer, etc. being the crux of Nintendo's breadwinning games.

And I don't count Wii Sports because I'm talking about companies releasing the same goddamn game every year with an updated roster and charging full price for it.

THAT needs to die.

"I mean, c'mon, Viva Pinata, a game with massive marketing, didn't sell worth a damn to the "sophisticated" 360 audience, despite near-universal praise--is that a sign that 360 owners are a bunch of casual ignoramuses that can't get their heads around a 'gardening' sim? Of course not. So let's please stop trying to micro-analyze one game out of hundreds and using it as the poster child for why good, non-1st party, games can't sell on Wii. (Everyone frequenting this site knows this is nonsense, and yet some of you just can't let it go because it's the only scab you have left to pick at after all your other "Wii will phail1!!1" straw men arguments have been put to the torch.)" - exindguy on Boom Blocks

Sam Yikin said:
@ the people saying Guitar Hero
Why? It's good fun, and a great choice if you don't want to learn to play an actual instrument.
Sports Games need to die IMO.

Umm... u can use the same argument for sports games.