By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - why do you believe?

MrBubbles said:
Sky Render said:
I don't. Mostly because of a significant lack of concrete and verifiable evidence. That's just how my mind works: if it cannot be proven, I have no reason to invest any faith in it. Particularly when the evidence against is far more concrete than the evidence for.

o rly?  what is this all this evidence that there is no god?

Skepticism is always the natural stance. Therefore, if there is no evidence for something, it is assumed not to exist/have happened. There is no evidence for God, therefore he is assumed not to exist.

Around the Network
tombi123 said:
MrBubbles said:
Sky Render said:
I don't. Mostly because of a significant lack of concrete and verifiable evidence. That's just how my mind works: if it cannot be proven, I have no reason to invest any faith in it. Particularly when the evidence against is far more concrete than the evidence for.

o rly?  what is all this evidence that there is no god?

Skepticism is always the natural stance. Therefore, if there is no evidence for something, it is assumed not to exist/have happened. There is no evidence for God, therefore he is assumed not to exist.

he states that there is concrete evidence against it.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Sky Render said:
Are you asking for an itemized list? I shall list the three key pieces of evidence, from which most (but not all) of the other evidence against a divine presence come from.

* Lack of any verifiable events which can only be described as "divine intervention"

* Presence of countless religions which have wildly differing beliefs and no consistent image of what "divinity" or "deity" means

* Critical flaws in the workings of the human brain's chemistry which have been shown to lead humans to believe falsehoods as truth regardless of evidence shown to the contrary

Those aren't examples of evidence against, just examples of a lack of evidence for (which is what he was asking for, yes?)

Also, there's no evidence for anything (eh, hey sqrl!)

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz
MrBubbles said: 

It makes complete sense that man made God/gods up because he didn't understand the world he lived in.  Besides, your Judeo-Christian god came from Bablyonian mythology.  Marduk, the king of the Babylonian gods, defeated the evil, rebelious gods, then created the world in 6 days, feasted on the 7, and rested so that man could do god's work.

I do, but I don't know why...

Around the Network
tombi123 said:
MrBubbles said:
Sky Render said:

o rly?  what is this all this evidence that there is no god?

I can't understand that position really. Scientifically speaking there is no evidence for or against god/gods so I choose to stay agnostic. I believe there may or may not be a super natural spirit or spirits because we cannot test for them. Without any tests there can be no definitive answer, thuse I believe what I believe.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

if you look back in history gods where created to explain things man couldn't understand, look at the greek they had a god for everything lighting,war,pleasure etc. so i suppose god was created to try to explain life but then people use it for bad reasons, TERRORIST!!!!

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

ManusJustus said:
MrBubbles said: 

It makes complete sense that man made God/gods up because he didn't understand the world he lived in.  Besides, your Judeo-Christian god came from Bablyonian mythology.  Marduk, the king of the Babylonian gods, defeated the evil, rebelious gods, then created the world in 6 days, feasted on the 7, and rested so that man could do god's work.

That still doesn't qualify as evidence against God/gods, it's simply a claim of a lack of evidence.  If man had never made up the idea of the supernatural, that would be the exact same situation.

Also, making up God to explain things we don't understand seems a bit far-fetched to me.  Why would anyone guess that there was a being behind natural occurences?  Why would he have guessed there was some guy living in the storm clouds throwing the bolts of lightning?  Wouldn't he have just assumed it was the cloud?  Furthermore, how would a supernatural, transcendental realm ever have occurred to anyone at all?

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz

why would a perfect god creat such an imperfect world?
how come there was two versions of the bible?
how come the vatican is the richest organisation on earth?

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

I think it's harder to prove that God doesn't exsist, than it is to prove that he does exsist.

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself