By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - why do you believe?

i used to belive in god because most people in family do but i don't anymore mostly because of science, because religion teach you stuff but don't explain but science back it up with facts that you can verify by yourself, when you understand that everywhere there is water and carbon there is life well you don't need god to explain why there is life on earth

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

Around the Network

don't get me wrong god will always be there because it's a part of us, we need to think there is something bigger more powerfull then men

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

chapset said:
how come the vatican is the richest organisation on earth?

Because the Vatican is the city guilt built. Guilt buys 20 foot tall gold doors.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

I'm an Agnostic Athiest (I believe that's what it is called). It means that I don't believe in him, but I don't know if he does or doesn't exist.

But the Agnostic part is technically useless, because no one knows if he exists or not, so I guess I'm an Athiest.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

I was an atheist too, until Kirk Cameron showed me a banana.

Around the Network
The Ghost of RubangB said:
I was an atheist too, until Kirk Cameron showed me a banana.

......well, they DO have a handy peel opener.

What a horrible display that was.

Okami

To lavish praise upon this title, the assumption of a common plateau between player and game must be made.  I won't open my unworthy mouth.

Christian (+50).  Arminian(+20). AG adherent(+20). YEC(+20). Pre-tribulation Pre-milleniumist (+10).  Republican (+15) Capitalist (+15).  Pro-Nintendo (+5).  Misc. stances (+30).  TOTAL SCORE: 195
  http://quizfarm.com/test.php?q_id=43870 <---- Fun theology quiz

I like to think for myself not follow some religion. Also religion is a big cause of war and conflict.

I believe in God. Why do we need concrete evidence for everything. I don't believe it's naive to believe in something, especially a reason for existence. It provides stability for mankind, society and civilization. It gives many people comfort in their daily lives. Instead of finding out how many ways they can disprove the existence of a God, many rather live their lives comfortably believing there is a God. There is nothing naive or wrong about that.

I also believe there is a consistency between a lot of religions out there and don't believe that just because you believe in the other one, you're going to hell by default. A lot of people believe in one divine God, so why should they be denied passage into heaven just because they read the wrong book?

gomezc said:
I believe in God. Why do we need concrete evidence for everything. I don't believe it's naive to believe in something, especially a reason for existence. It provides stability for mankind, society and civilization. It gives many people comfort in their daily lives. Instead of finding out how many ways they can disprove the existence of a God, many rather live their lives comfortably believing there is a God. There is nothing naive or wrong about that.

I also believe there is a consistency between a lot of religions out there and don't believe that just because you believe in the other one, you're going to hell by default. A lot of people believe in one divine God, so why should they be denied passage into heaven just because they read the wrong book?

There is of course nothing wrong with believing, but you cannot allow yourself to overlook reality to comfort yourself.

It is naive to believe in something which has no proof. You are allowing yourself to be controlled by reward, or you succumb to rules or beliefs that may not make sense or have proof so you can feel better.

EDIT: It also seems that in your last paragraph, you imply that polytheists would burn in hell, and you also imply that there is a right religion.

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

MrBubbles said:
Sky Render said:
I don't. Mostly because of a significant lack of concrete and verifiable evidence. That's just how my mind works: if it cannot be proven, I have no reason to invest any faith in it. Particularly when the evidence against is far more concrete than the evidence for.

o rly?  what is all this evidence that there is no god?

But you can turn that argument around, what evidence proves there is a god?

none, so in theory there is no god

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.