By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Biggest Flop and Biggest Runaway Hit in 08 So Far.

07 I would have to say COD4 was the biggest runaway hit, far exceded all expectations. I am not to sure about biggest flop... I did not start following VGC until Nov or so. Maybe MP3, but who knows...

08- Biggest Flop (IMO) is Ninja Gaiden 2, I do not care how much you wanna say it is too HC or Niche it had way to much hype to sell just.... ok.

Biggest Runaway Hit- Tie... between WiiFit and MKWii... Although I would give the edge to MKWii, NO ONE expected it to sell so much already... it is selling 150-200k a week after 4-5 months, and it will hit 10 million before Cmas... WiiFit was "kinda" expected.

Well that is where I would put it, what do you think?

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Around the Network

Ninja Gaiden 2 has sold over a million copies, according to Microsoft. That's the best selling Ninja Gaiden to date. How is that a flop? http://gamerscoreblog.com/press/archive/2008/08/28/njgdnbrs.aspx

MKWii is definitely a runaway success. Been sold out at a lot of places for a long time.

I personally expected NGII to have sold more than 1 million, it was a huge release, and the biggest summer game for MS.

A game of that budget and marketing should have sold at least 2 million by now.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Biggest flop - Haze. Although it could soon be Too Human.

Biggest hit - Mario Kart Wii.

Biggest runaway hit is of course Mario Kart Wii. Biggest flop is Haze.

Around the Network

Mario Kart Wii is doing slightly better than we all thought it would. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics... Now THAT's a runaway hit (that was in 08 right?)

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

How was Mario Kart Wii a runaway hit? It is one of the worst sold Mario Kart games. One would have expected it to sell around as much as it did, so it really wasn't a surprise. Same goes for Wii Fit, which oozed potential before launch.

Imo, worst flop of 2008 so far was Haze. Flopped in everything.

For 07, Lair and Heavenly Sword both released to mediocre sales. Heavenly Sword, which had been talked about being a trilogy, suddenly isn't in development anymore. I'd say it's a toss up between the two for flop of 07.

Call of Duty 4 definitely was 07's runaway success. That thing still sells good, and the online community is plentiful.

I forgot about Haze. That would definitely be 08's biggest flop to date. In September, we should find out how Too Human did.

It's not the worst sold Mario Kart game shio; you're comparing life time sales to 19 weeks of sales. It's guaranteed to end up being the highest selling Mario Kart so far.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

stof said:
Mario Kart Wii is doing slightly better than we all thought it would. Mario and Sonic at the Olympics... Now THAT's a runaway hit (that was in 08 right?)

No, that was 2007.

shio: You expect Mario Kart Wii to pass all of it's predeccors in a mere 3 months? Dude, cut it some slack.