By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's this war all about?

fishamaphone said: Fanboys are what make the industry interesting. I'm proud to be a Nintendo fanboy.
EXACTLY :P

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Around the Network

AninParadX : I think this post is lame, and I think this topic is one of the lamest you can have. This post basically asks the stupid question : "why are you cheering for X ?". We're not robots, we're human beings. And feelings are not logical, thought things, that's all. We don't live in an utopia. So people will buy things they can afford, that provides the best emotional strike for them. For some people, console gaming has a stronger emotional force, and it becomes their hobby, or more. Human being love to communicate, even if it's pointless, the goal is to communicate, I can't explain why, perhaps some anthropologist or sociologist can. These kind of "I don't understand why you're acting like a human being" posts are the lamest. Why some people feel the need to troll ? Why some feel the need to defend ? I can't say. Myself, I don't like to troll, even if I will invariably do it from time to time without knowing, because of bad experiences with a product, making me bash it without even knowing. I think this "words war" is very good, if it can canalize all this energy into words, then it's a good thing, better than go outside do bad things. Even you are pretty much oriented with a big agenda. It's easy to tell, I just have to look at the words, and it's telling : fanboys (you have no way to tell if all these people are fanboys, and it's false anyway), manipulating, "you can't deny", believers (we would be believers if we believed what you say at face value, I don't), "played in the worst way possible", "outdated hardware", "future proof" (for a console !?), "consumers which want real new experiences" (you're basically saying the consumer is dumb and buy what he doesn't want, and the worst, is that this was made as a justification for what you want), "bulky", "unfinished", "The fact is that it's a great piece of technology"... I will stop there, but your post is actually as involved in the "war" as any other posts I've seen. I can even tell you clearly prefer the PS3 from what you've written, and you want to see it win, but distance yourself from it to not be disappointed. Just don't think that because you think what you're doing is right, like being religion agnostic is the more logical step, that being on another not so logical side is not a good thing too. Less logical side brings more risk, so more heated discussion of course when confronted to others, but it is nonetheless human.

ookaze - that is seriously... deep man... deep...

@ookaze: Sorry but you got it all wrong. I talked down on every console but somehow you didn't see it or couldn't see it. You interpreted and that's your own wroingdoing not mine.

sorry for my eng. well, the main problem is Microsoft. Microsoft has bad reputation of monopolyst, we all use windows, bu this OS is not the best one, just we dont have any alternatives. So those who are agaiinst xbox360, are also against M$, against monopolizm in console gaming. Those who use microsoft production already paying just for playing online.This showing what you get, when you are a monopolist in online gaming on console. Live! is a good thing, ability to have friend list, good servers, but again if i just want play online, i must pay, i don`t have any other choice. That`s what means Microsoft. On other side, 9 mln. people, who bought console from M$, they have paid money, had some fun on reeally good games, and ofcorse they want that xbox360 would win the console war. But it`s a bad thing. The way, which M$ is doing it`s buisness, is american. Japan companies(nintendo, sega, sony) thinking how make money and how make best quality, while american companies think only of how make more and more money. Anyway, after 1 year, the battle will be over, cause there will be shown true ps3 power, and ps3 will become console must have. So people will argue which game is better, Forza2 or GT5, LO or FFXIII and etc.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

Around the Network

Why do people think MS winning the console war is any worse than either Sony or Nintendo? All three of them are corporations who just want your money, none of them give a damn about the consumer unless it ends up profiting them.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

I see it as rooting on your favorite sports team. I do not really care who "wins" (I have all systems so I win :) ) I care about having the ability to say I told you so. There is nothing more satisfying than calling a result before it happens. I break it down to cause and effect (its actually more complicated than most people can perceive, including me) but I believe firmly that the PS3 as it stands now has the brightest future. Unless some drastic changes are made to game line-ups, then I do not see the wii or the 360 topping in the long run.

Games make me happy! PSN ID: Staticneuron Gamertag: Staticneuron Wii Code: Static Wii - 3055 0871 5802 1723

staticneuron said: I see it as rooting on your favorite sports team. I do not really care who "wins" (I have all systems so I win :) ) I care about having the ability to say I told you so. There is nothing more satisfying than calling a result before it happens. I break it down to cause and effect (its actually more complicated than most people can perceive, including me) but I believe firmly that the PS3 as it stands now has the brightest future. Unless some drastic changes are made to game line-ups, then I do not see the wii or the 360 topping in the long run.
You know the PS3 has the bleakest future right now. And the only thing that is going to change is it is going to get brighter for the PS3. :P But really, I agree. The PS3 is starting to look better. But I think really right now the Wii looks best. Followed by the PS3. But from what I have read about all 3. In 9 months it will do a flip-flop. PS3 > 360 > Wii And it will end that way. staticneuron - will I see you on PSN then?

Video Game wars, like sports fandom, are easy to jump into. You've got a few focused brands. Everyone can take a side and thereby express himself, and everyone can be proud if his team wins without having taken any personal effort or risk. Compare that to politics, where it's really hard to be in the know and only the biggest fools dare to come up with easy answers, and where it's even harder to see your own ideas actually being realized.

Hardcore gaming is a bubble economy blown up by Microsoft's $7 $6 billion losses.

When you step back every system offers a satisfying game experience. To say any system just totally stinks is crazy. For example I owned a TurboGraphix 16 it failed on the market but I loved it. Back then I felt it was worth the purchase and still love it's games today.(Bonk on VC hoorah!) My brother owned the 3DO for the lousy system is was it still had a hand full of good games. Same thing goes for the failed Dreamcast which seems to have a huge cult following. And these new 3 systems are light years ahead of those systems. To say the Wii isn't innovative because motion sensing technology was being used in other industries is plain silly. They were the first to introduce motion sensing to a home console. If your only going to call a game system innovative if it has never ever seen before technology then your never going to see an innovative console period. Innovation is also defined by putting existing concepts together that no one had done before. Then you say the ps3 isn't doing what it's predecssors did, but you say ps1 introduced cd, and ps2 dvd with better graphics, isn't ps3 following that to a T with Blu-ray and even better graphics? Really what else could people ask of the ps3 other then a price cut. Also the 360 a console without a soul? how can anyone assume the 360 is the same thing as a PC and excuse all the exclusive games? Look at what's coming, have you seen shots of Alan Wake? It's the most amazing looking thing. Have you seen the sheer size of Mass Effect, and how amazing this game looks. Not to mention Halo 3, Blue Dragon, Too Human, and many more. You won't find that on the pc. You won't find it an coming anywhere but the 360. These systems are worth their weight in gold, and they deserve the fans they have.