By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony introducing the first ever 240Hz LCD TV and the world’s thinnest TV.

Sony unveils 240Hz LCD TV

By Damian Francis, 8/28/2008 5:22:16 PM

Sony has been at or close to the forefront of TV technology ever since the good old Trinitron. Today the company went even further by introducing the first ever 240Hz LCD TV and the world’s thinnest TV.

Hold your breath until December (in the US), because that’s when Sony’s 240Hz LCD TVs will be available to the public. Currently LCD TVs are topping out at 120Hz for consumers, and that’s already a significant improvement in speed over the standard 50-60Hz of normal (for want of a better term) LCD TVs. The new 240Hz technology promises to provide the smoothest, most lifelike, movement ever from an LCD TV and will be great for gamers using next-gen consoles especially. We’re still a little concerned about 240Hz with movies though. As it is 120Hz makes TV and movies look a little fake.

The 240Hz technology will be available in the KDL-46W1 and KDL-40W1 that boasts full-HD, 3,000:1 contrast ratio, BRAVIA Engine 2 and 24p support.

This isn’t the only big step forward from Sony though, they have also shown off the KDL-40ZX1 LCD TV that is just 9.9mm thick. It’s not thin on features though. With BRAVIA Engine 2, 120Hz technology and 3,000:1 contrast ration, imagine having one of these bad boys in your room!

We have no doubt Sony's 240Hz models will make our top ten list of gaming TVs when they are launched, but until then, check out the current top ten list here.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

That's pretty hot...I am days away from buying a Samsung 120 Hz TV.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Sony's awesome... *goes to hug PS3*

It's going to give me a paper cut if I feel it with my finger D=

Me: I'll take one...what's a fair price Sony?

Sony:

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

There is only so thin we can go then we will have holograms which are out but over expensive....

Former something....

Blacksaber said:
There is only so thin we can go then we will have holograms which are out but over expensive....

I've seen a video of a Sony(I think) prototype TV on clear plastic that bends and flexes like a piece of projection paper. I think that's as thin as it gets, lol.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Blacksaber said:

I've seen a video of a Sony(I think) prototype TV on clear plastic that bends and flexes like a piece of projection paper. I think that's as thin as it gets, lol.

It could be Phillips they have had a paper thin tv/newspaper for 2 years now.

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

I WANT.

Why would u buy these when u can buy a SONY Organic LED [OLeds] very soon that has a contrast of 1,000,000:1 [that's a wopping 333.33 x darker black levels!], refresh rate of .00001 milliseconds [absolutly no mation blur!], 10x more colours, very high peak brightness, uses MUCH less power [no back light], longer life, just as thin and contains no harmful mercurey? [when u see these LCD's will look very bland compared to OLeds!]

If u buy a TV now with all these amazing new ones to hit at the end of this year and into next, IMO u would be nutz!

Also to note, there is also LAZER tech comming... bye bye Plasma.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD