By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In your opinion, what makes a game more memorable: Graphics or Music

TWRoO said:
Obliterator1700 said:
Kasz216 said:
Obliterator1700 said:
theprof00 said:

http://www.macalester.edu/psychology/whathap/ubnrp/smell/memory.html, last paragraph and this:

Olfaction is the sensory modality that is physically closest to the limbic system, of which the hippocampus and amygdala are a part, and which is responsible for emotions and memory. Indeed this may be why odor-evoked memories are unusually emotionally potent (1996).

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1751 hal;fway down ctrl+F smell and memory

"Smell evokes memory in a way that no other sense can"

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:2WUYDuGbPqQJ:www.cas.uio.no/Publications/Cas04no1/screen.pdf+smell+memory&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=6&gl=us

i can't quote anything from there for some reason.

memory and hearing

http://psychcentral.com/news/2008/07/22/memory-impairment-linked-to-hearing-disorder/2647.html

http://staticdisposal.wordpress.com/2006/12/28/sound-memory-intertwined/

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/12721.php

this last one states how both sight and sound are crucial in short term memory, but that sound outperforms sight a little more than slightly.

Memorable doesn't mean what you think it means...

Memorable

• worth remembering
    wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
  • In psychology, memory is an organism's ability to store, retain, and subsequently retrieve information. Traditional studies of memory began in the realms of philosophy, including techniques of artificially enhancing the memory. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorable
  • Worthy to be remembered; very important or remarkable
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/memorable
  • Describes something which is easy to remember.
  • Yes worth...The quality that renders something desirable, useful, or valuable! Music beats graphics in this...Yeah! Keep on dreaming...Thats why you see no such comparison such as, gameplay vs music, but instead you see a whole bunch of, gameplay vs graphics...Music is whats forgotten in many games...Face the fact.

I think you still don't understand.

If you were remembeing a game you played 3 months ago, I am pretty sure you don't suddenly see a picture of a (in game) location or character for no reason... you would remember the tune, then that tune would remind you of the game. And THEN you could form pictures in your mind about locations/characters.

Its funny you mention that. I hardly hear anyone talk about the games music...Smell and music are two different things.

Around the Network

how do you explain katamari damacy, when the consensus is that the first one was the best even though it has the worst graphics of the three.

if you are going to harp about "worth remembering" which is the closest thing you actually have to a fragile argument, i would say the music means less, but graphics is about nil. whoever said, Man these graphics are worth remembering.

someone gives you a picture and a song. ten minutes later you will have more accurately identified that song than the picture.
    like i said before, most people would probably have trouble drawing mario's mustache.

theprof00 said:
    how do you explain katamari damacy, when the consensus is that the first one was the best even though it has the worst graphics of the three.

if you are going to harp about "worth remembering" which is the closest thing you actually have to a fragile argument, i would say the music means less, but graphics is about nil. whoever said, Man these graphics are worth remembering.

someone gives you a picture and a song. ten minutes later you will have more accurately identified that song than the picture.
    like i said before, most people would probably have trouble drawing mario's mustache.
    Yes games have their own albums...Nice one.

obliterator
    smell and sound are scientifically proven to more readily and powerfully impact your memory and emotion than sight. i have provided concrete examples, and i have linked countless websites from encylopedia to scientific concurrence.
    your opinion is your opinion, and you are entitled to think what you want, but don't think you can accuse or flagellate people who disagree with you.
    the only reason i am here discussing facts now is because you said my opinion wasn't valid.

Also, please tell me when a game gets a reception, saying something like...The music is this game outstanding!

Around the Network
    Obliterator1700 said:
    theprof00 said:

Yes games have their own albums...Nice one.

nice how you didn't respond to anything i said. denial maybe?

theprof00 said:
    obliterator
    smell and sound are scientifically proven to more readily and powerfully impact your memory and emotion than sight. i have provided concrete examples, and i have linked countless websites from encylopedia to scientific concurrence.
    your opinion is your opinion, and you are entitled to think what you want, but don't think you can accuse or flagellate people who disagree with you.
    the only reason i am here discussing facts now is because you said my opinion wasn't valid.
    No...You made it to where you tried to prove me wrong.

LOL music is usually the tipping point a game gets goty!!! it is usualy triple underlined how great the soundtrack is.

Graphics are more important WHILST playing the game.

The music is still more memorable though (unless you are one of few people with a photographic memory)

Once you have remembered the game you may then remember "oh yeah it looked really nice" but those nice looks don't trigger memory on their own.

LOL
    I think, about ignorance, it was best said that,
    'it isn't that you don't understand, but that you don't want to understand'