By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many people know the 360 is more powerful than the Ps3?

These arguments are bullcrap... it takes a developer to utilise the power of a console.

Therefore there will be a hell of a lot of mid range looking games, and a few exceptional(s) for BOTH, because a developer delves into the power of a console for their exclusive games.

Around the Network

Entroper said:

SSJ12, you've confused pre-emptive multitasking with out-of-order processing. This, among your many other ridiculous claims leads me to believe you're nowhere near capable of writing an operating system.

In general, comparing the PS3 hardware to the 360 hardware is even less useful than comparing the Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 hardwares. They're both HD, they both have lots of graphics horsepower and fast, multicore CPUs. As has happened in the past, but even more so this time, these two systems will differentiate themselves by their software, not their hardware.

Well said Entroper, you are mentioning an important mistake of ssj12! But as you said, there are many more ridiculous claims and simple errors  in his postings, commenting all of them would be a waste of time!

ssj12 said:

afree_account said:

- i had a look at your coooolllll homepage http://gamingjustice.com

"I'm Matt, 20 years old and a gamer since 16 years!"

"Join my company to build our own Computergame, if you join the size of our staff grows to 2"

Thats doesn't look like the homepage of a gifted programmer, so i believe you are making it up again !

Nice Job find one of my more currect projects. That project started less then two weeks ago. Try looking up information on past websites I've been the co-founder of. Cosmic-Anime, Anime-XT, Team D!M, Team Excaliber, EAF Clan, Vipers Tail.

I'm makiing plans with the guys who work for Doom Labs to work together on some of my game ideas.

Plus when did I ever say I was this sick programmer? I'm a writer, poet, and Web Developer. I never said I did all the work on my OS did I? I did have help from the guys from TerraSoft. I do have my connections, many thanks to Anime-XT =]

I guess everyone knows about your capabilities now, so I'm going to make it short !

You are telling me, you got help from terrasoft, the guys who ported linux to the mac and the ps3 ?

Sigh!

Do you remember, it all started with this post:

sssj12 said:

Also on the in-order and out-of-order processing. In-Order processors could easily be stronger if software was coded to work In-Order like the Mac OS. 

Mac OS is NOT coded In-Order!

Your Anime friends at Terrasoft should have told you about it!

Tell them to release a Yellow Dog Linux In Order Edition!

It's not as cut and dry as they'd like to make you think it is, but for gaming the 360 is more powerful than the PS3.  Without getting into the technical details, it has a slight fill rate advantage, a slight memory advantage (more flexible architecture, less OS overhead), and a signficiant general purpose CPU advantage.

As we get into later generation games, it should become more and more obvious that the 360 is more powerful than the PS3 -- developers will be using libraries which will take better advantage of additional threads as well as having a growing and improving multithreaded codebase.  This will benefit the 360 much more than the PS3 due to the 360 having 3x as many general purpose hardware threads.  

The PS3, of course, will see some improvement as well but I'm saying that the gap between the 360 and PS3 will grow due to the hardware disparity.  The biggest disparity -- the extra PPC970 CPUs -- is the hardest to optimize for.   The SPUs on the cell just aren't suited well toward gaming.  You can't improve libraries to use more single precision floating point calculations if you simply don't need them done, and they're not a substitute for general purpose CPU power.

ckmlb said:
Foetoid said:

A $100 price cut is nothing if there is a more powerful console which is cheaper with better online gaming and more games to play. Wii60 FTW!

Except with one you're getting free online and a high definition dvd player for 100 dollars lol sounds like a better deal to me.

If you want to count the full price of the 360 premium or elite you gotta add 50 bucks a year to actually use that magnificent online gaming.

New PS3 price= 500 $

Elite- 480$ + 50 $ = 530$

Premium- 400$ + 50 $ = 450$

Core- 300$ + 50 $ + 50$ (memory card to actually save) = 400$

Remember those 50 dollars are not a one time deal either, it's every year.  

Thanks Ckmlb! It's nice to see someone that owns a 360 breakdown the actual costs. More and more it seems like quite a few people that even bring up price tags own neither system. Don't forget this combo to get a true comparison.

premium $400

HD DVD player $200

WiFi $100

online $50/yr

total $750 ???

or get a PS3 w/40 gigs more space for $600, whoops $500 =)

The main power of the PS3 comes from the fact they continue to work :P

The Xbox 360 isn't too much cheaper in all reality. I have both and I got my 360 the other day. If you want the Elite (which you will want if you download alot), got to pay $480 + $50 (Live) + $30 (charger). About $560 there, and that's without HD DVD.

I notice the distant textures are better on the 360, but the character models are better on the PS3. I think later this generation, the PS3 will be taking an advantage.

As far as the Wii, IMO it doesn't have any good games yet until SMG, Mario Kart, and SSB come out. Everything that I want for that system is for PS2 and GC already.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Around the Network

Sorry if im bumping a old thread, i can't currently see much considering vista deicded to make all my text microscopic

The claims of 100% are far from bullshit, these coders must be some of the worest out there if they can only acheive 75% effeincy from the Cell processor, hell you can download code which is 98% effiecent.

http://tu-dresden.de/die_tu_dresden/zentrale_einrichtungen/zih/forschung/architektur_und_leistungsanalyse_von_hochleistungsrechnern/cell/

theres the code if your interested

I personally belive the PS3 will produce better visuals this generation. My opinon and i could care less about yours.

Wow only 8 ROPS on the Xenos? hmm

The PS3 and 360 are close enough to as powerfull as each other, no point aruging over it. We already know the Cell is a capable renderer and can help the RSX with rendering and that the Xenos is very powerfull. Why does everyone compare them to each other? they're close enough for the differnece to be negliable.

BetaNumerical said:

Sorry if im bumping a old thread, i can't currently see much considering vista deicded to make all my text microscopic

Ctrl + Mouse Scroll Wheel?

It seems the mods need help with this forum.  I have zero tolerance for trolling, platform criticism (Rule 4), and poster bad-mouthing (Rule 3.4) and you will be reported.

Review before posting: http://vgchartz.com/forum/rules.php

Sony fans are in denial. Game after game the 360 beats the PS3 but they ignore it or say 'Wait'. Madden 08 will run at 60 FPS on the 360 and 30 on the PS3. Why is that? Because the 360s GPU is far superior to the PS3s GPU. Look at 'The Darkness' on both systems. The 360 is far superior again. How much evidence to you Sony fanboys need?

I think I'm going to have to start a thread about the Cell to iron out what it is and isn't capable of.  I know some other members here who have worked on it as well should be able to help.

Lynn said:
Sony fans are in denial. Game after game the 360 beats the PS3 but they ignore it or say 'Wait'. Madden 08 will run at 60 FPS on the 360 and 30 on the PS3. Why is that? Because the 360s GPU is far superior to the PS3s GPU. Look at 'The Darkness' on both systems. The 360 is far superior again. How much evidence to you Sony fanboys need?

This reason for mulplatform title working better on the 360 has already been given. Thee Devs are simply dumping the work of the triple core onto the Cell PPE and the work of the Xenos onto the RSX while almost completely ignoring the SPEs. Again the reason for this is because of Sony not releasing the proper Devs tools quickly enough. PS Edge has been released but it will take a while for any effects to be seen, probably 2008.