By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How many people know the 360 is more powerful than the Ps3?

ckmlb said:
Foetoid said:

A $100 price cut is nothing if there is a more powerful console which is cheaper with better online gaming and more games to play. Wii60 FTW!

Except with one you're getting free online and a high definition dvd player for 100 dollars lol sounds like a better deal to me.

If you want to count the full price of the 360 premium or elite you gotta add 50 bucks a year to actually use that magnificent online gaming.

New PS3 price= 500 $

Elite- 480$ + 50 $ = 530$

Premium- 400$ + 50 $ = 450$

Core- 300$ + 50 $ + 50$ (memory card to actually save) = 400$

Remember those 50 dollars are not a one time deal either, it's every year.

I look at it more like a game purchase when it comes to Xbox Live. When you buy a console you have to buy games and that can be way more than $50 depending on how much you game. So your equations are irrelevant. 

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

Around the Network

Heh, this technical comparison happens every console generation. Always an interesting read but doesnt matter much for the outcome of how well the system will do. The more powerful rarely comes in "first", so it really is about the games.

SNES vs Genesis?]

Xbox vs PS2?

And currently which system is selling like crazy? The "wimpy" Wii.

Sometimes the most powerful system is just too expensive or there are not enough games for it.

Remember 3DO (ouch) and the Neo Geo?

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Spectrumglr said:
ckmlb said:

I thought you were referring to online games. Anyway check the PS3 lineup for the fall.

actually i was referring to online gaming...online gaming to me (and to the vast majority of gamers) is basically FPS (mostly)and then RTS, RPG and racing games and so far PS3 line-up in those categories isn't comparable to X360's.

My question is: will Sony set up a comparable line-up in time for this holiday season? free online gaming if you can't offer interesting games is quite a pointless feature, isn't it?

Warhawk

This game is by far better then any onliine experience on the 360 to date.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Goddbless said:
ckmlb said:
Foetoid said:

I look at it more like a game purchase when it comes to Xbox Live. When you buy a console you have to buy games and that can be way more than $50 depending on how much you game. So your equations are irrelevant.

It's great how MS has convinced you that paying for online gaming should be the norm. Even though on the PS3 and on your PC and now Wii you can play online for free.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
Foetoid said:

A $100 price cut is nothing if there is a more powerful console which is cheaper with better online gaming and more games to play. Wii60 FTW!

Except with one you're getting free online and a high definition dvd player for 100 dollars lol sounds like a better deal to me.

If you want to count the full price of the 360 premium or elite you gotta add 50 bucks a year to actually use that magnificent online gaming.

New PS3 price= 500 $

Elite- 480$ + 50 $ = 530$

Premium- 400$ + 50 $ = 450$

Core- 300$ + 50 $ + 50$ (memory card to actually save) = 400$

Remember those 50 dollars are not a one time deal either, it's every 

Is it me or you always says the same thing, and I always answer the same thing, yes xbox live is 50 usd PSNis free, I prefer paying 50 usd for a real on line service that not having one at all, and by the way Sony already anounced that PSN is not going to be free for long. 

Around the Network

"While both consoles shine in some areas, they do have their softer spots."

This is the article's conclusion. The person who posted this thread obviously ignore the good parts of ps3 and emphasize on the good part of 360. obviously a 360 fanboy haha

An excerpt:

If each of the PS3’s 6 SPE used for games are working on a specific task such as collision, cloth physics, animation, water surface simulation or particles, they wouldn’t need to worry about processing power being taken away from another part of the game because the SPE don’t share processing power.

The only cause for concern would be the 512KB L2 cache being shared by 7 simultaneous running SPE and a PPE, but that’s what developers are for; they work around things like this. In practice, this should allow PS3 games to potentially have more things going on at once than 360 games. Ignoring the difficulties of programming for the PS3 CPU, it should be known that the PS3’s CPU is very good when it comes to vertex-related operations because the PS3’s CPU handles graphics code better than the 360’s CPU. It is also possible that through good parallelism of physics code on the SPE that physics code could also run better on the PS3 CPU due to the concurrency advantage.

The 360 CPU however, due to its 3 symmetric General Purpose Cores, is not only much easier to program for than the cell, but having 3 PPE capable of handling things such as AI also means the 360’s CPU will be the better of the 2 CPUs when it comes to AI code. Either way we can look forward to great things from both CPUs in the future.

Before I end off, I’d like to point out a game that in my opinion, from a technical standpoint, is one the most brilliant uses of the PS3’s CPU. All things considered, such as in-order execution and the other complications of the architecture, Heavenly Sword is quite the standout in nearly every regard: incredible combat animations, awesome group enemy AI, and great physics.

He bashed the PS3 througout the piece but comes up with this little chesnut.  Basically stating that you can have the SPE's doing alot of the work ie. collision, cloth physics, animation, water surface simulation or particles which means that you don't need to use the main processing power.

Then goes on to say that because of the SPE's, you could theorectically have more things going at once than 360 games (Lair anyone).

Then...physics code could also run better on the PS3 than 360.

Then says the 360 would have better AI code and then goes on to talk about Heavenly Sword having awesome group enemy AI.

Mmmm...I think the proof with be in the pudding.  We will see when the games start coming.  The only way to properly compare each system would be for a developer proficient in coding for both the 360 and PS3 to create a game or a demo for each system. 

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Who really cares which is more powerful? No one , any one. Who cares. Games are what it is all about. Wii for me is all that i see.

Plus some of the remarks are directly false .The SPUs have each 256 Kb ,there are eight of them so you have basically 2 MB of cache instead of the X360 1Mb .Plus after the interview with Ninja Theory it became pretty aparent that each SPU can access the cache of each one of the others SPU if you want to .

Of course they care. All of these Sony Fanboys bought the system banking on superior graphics winning out. Which may not actually be true anymore. Quite obviously no one here has any clue what they are talking about. Lair has a lot of shit on the screen at once with graphics that look about the same as Gears of War. Dead Rising also has a lot of shit on screen at once. Who comes out on top? got me... So far I have not seen one game on either console that stands above what the other has. E3 is days away lets see what happens there.