By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Poll: So who will buy a PS3 at the new pricepoint?

Honestly, I'm a bit torn about this myself. I have the money for a PS3 right now, so the price cut only makes things easier.

Being a SEGA fanboy, I know that some companies can keep gaming fun afloat even the "worst" console for a long time.

Dreamcast is still kickin' in the Quake 3 arena believe it or not. Plus there is lots of emulation and a variety of homebrew games and even new releases that have hit this year! And on a related side note, having owned all four consoles from last gen, Dreamcast was by far my most favorite.

So third party exclusives and big name titles can mean very little in the long run for me, although certainly not necessarily market-share as a whole. But personally, I have yet to see Sony put out the volume of quality games SEGA use to in its prime. It seems that Sony is more revved up this round on its first party franchises though. So there could be some really good stuff that hits the PS3 that goes under the radar. Much like that of the Dreamcast.

PS3 was my default console if I ever got a second one. Simply because MS has done such a terrible job with the 360's quality. Granted, now the three year warranty helps save some face for them, but honestly, just because you have a comprehensive warranty on a lemon car doesn't make me want to purchase the car more.

So I think until everything comes out from E3, I'm going to be sitting on my hands right now. But if there is something that really impresses me, I just might go ahead and get one since the price reduction.

My wife is interested in Home as well, so that's always a bonus. Yet I kinda don't like the fact I'll get screwed in buying a rumbleless controller which will likely be replaced later on.

Sony seems to have sobered up some very fast from their terrible display of sales. I hope that this will shake them up in order to keep them from attempting to exploit gamers in order for them to gain other markets again. At least not as aggressively as PS3 is attempting to do.

I know I wasn't complaining when PS2 hit and I was finally able to afford a DVD player. Yet I had a terrible time with quality of the PS2, which seems to have been addressed ( at least this far in ) with the PS3. Last I've heard it's failure rates are less that 1%, right up their with the Wii.

I guess within the week I'll know if I talked myself into getting or not. I'll keep you mates posted.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355

Around the Network
leo-j said:
99% of the people say now the other 1% is maybe. I dont get it have you guys all been a hole or sometin? The huge exclusive game line up coming out this fall still doesnt make you want a ps3 even with a 100 price drop?

Not even close. I have zero interest in Heavenly Sword, Warhawk, or Lair. I have tepid interest in Ratchet.

Sony fans certainly aren't alone in this, but I love when people say things like: "How can you not want the exclusive games on my console?"

How can you not want to play Halo 3, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, and Blue Dragon?

How can you not want to play Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Brothers, and Metroid Prime?

The answer, of course is that you personally prefer a certain selection of games, and those games happen to largely be on the PS3. That's completely fine. But you can ignore the Wii and 360 games in precisely the same way I can have no interest in the PS3 ones.

There are three PS3 games in development I have any real interest in: Afrika, Home, and Little Big Planet. Those are a ways away, and those three games will have to be extraordinarily good to get me to purchase a console based on their strengths alone. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Hey just wanted to say that my probable no not yet has changed in no never... no need coz my bro bought a ps3 this afternoon.

Both me and one of my PS3 buddies are looking into getting a 2nd PS3. The price drop dosent matter I was gonna buy one anyways, and I think he was going to as well.

Either way, I have one, and I'm getting another, so that should count. You dont have to count my buddy because he dont come here.

PSN ID: Kwaad

I fly this flag in victory!

Kwaad said:
Both me and one of my PS3 buddies are looking into getting a 2nd PS3. The price drop dosent matter I was gonna buy one anyways, and I think he was going to as well.

Either way, I have one, and I'm getting another, so that should count. You dont have to count my buddy because he dont come here.

I'm sorry for your loss.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network
leo-j said:
99% of the people say now the other 1% is maybe. I dont get it have you guys all been a hole or sometin? The huge exclusive game line up coming out this fall still doesnt make you want a ps3 even with a 100 price drop?

Mmmm... nope

I'd like to buy a PS3 but I dont, why?

- Because Its still bloody expensive here $900-1000 (not $600). Living in Europe is a curse sometimes! I hate it when they simply switch the $ sign with the € or £ but keeping the actual numbers, screw them!

- We havent seen any price drop here yet, it will come to be around $800 here then I guess!

- I wont buy PS3 untill it hits $400 here! (probably $200-250 in America, lol)

Playstation 5 vs XBox Series Market Share Estimates

Regional Analysis  (only MS and Sony Consoles)
Europe     => XB1 : 23-24 % vs PS4 : 76-77%
N. America => XB1 :  49-52% vs PS4 : 48-51%
Global     => XB1 :  32-34% vs PS4 : 66-68%

Sales Estimations for 8th Generation Consoles

Next Gen Consoles Impressions and Estimates

with it's current and so far known game library I won't pay more than $300.

Desroko said:
ckmlb said:
Ackmed Tepish said:
RE5 will also be on 360 if not the Wii as well.

It's not coming to the Wii..

Neither was Katamari. Things change.

Sorry the Wii will not be able to handle RE5, unless it gets a major tone down(then why would you want it???) The Wii is getting it's own exclusive RE: Umbrella something, be happy with it.

I'll be getting a 2nd one now though. I just got a 61" Samsung and I need another bluray player.

The only things that would prompt me to buy a PS3 at this point are LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Lair, FFXIII, RE5, and the blu-ray player. RE5 is coming to the 360 and might have a version on the Wii. FFXIII is up in the air right now. It could also come to 360 and maybe a version to the Wii. But neither are close to releasing at this point anyway. So that leaves Uncharted, Lair, LittleBigPlanet and Blu-ray. Well I have a 400 DVD collection so I don't think the next format is worth $500 extra dollars at this point. I already have a Wii and Smash Brothers is coming out. That will be a prime competitor to LittleBigPlanet, so there is my fix for that.

Uncharted and Lair worth the $500? $650 after I buy the games and tax too? Nah, I will be just fine with Dewy's Adventure, Metroid 3, Mario Galaxy, RE Umbrella Chronicles, Dragon Quest Swords, Smash Brothers, My Sims, DDR Hottest Party, Boogie, Zach and Wiki, etc.