By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why Madden sells the way it does

mrstickball said:
polezo said:

I'm interested, why do you think that the wii version won't have similar legs (percentage or ratio wise) as last years?  Personally I think that once casual gamers/football fans actually see or hear about Call Your Shot, then they will pick it up.  Wii games thrive on good on word of mouth...

...Because as first week sales rise for certain games, it becomes vastly more difficult for it to have similar percentage or ratio based legs. Just because the Wii sells twice the copies of Madden this year versus last year on the first week, doesn't mean the Wii version will track 100% better every week. As the more popular a game typically becomes on a console, and the higher the first week sales, the game usually trends down in terms of legs. This is the case for most franchise games.

I would think that the Wii version of Madde 09 will sell around 300,000-600,000 extra units versus the 08 version.

That, and it is also about userbase growth ...

Being that Madden 2009 sold twice as much as Madden 2008 in its initial week you would need to sell twice as many copies of Madden to new Wii owners in order to see similar legs produced by the introduction of new gamers; being that (at best) you could assume that late adopters to a generation had an equal distribution of Madden fans as early adopters, this would imply that Nintendo would need to sell twice as many Wii systems to keep this in balance.

This could be balanced out by having enough of a gain in people who bought Madden later in its life, but I suspect that most people buy Madden for their system fairly early if it is available for a system they own ...

Around the Network

I don't know it could of been that the 2005 and 2004 push for Madden was always depicting the game being played on an Xbox or Xbox360, in product placements Madden woud always be paired with the Xbox or Xbox360.

Heck at a point even I believed Madden = Microsoft, that's bad because I know it was made by EA.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

I always bought Madden on the PS2 because it's always been on the PS2. All that is brand recognition. The Wii Maddens are selling better, but 360 Maddens won't be touched for years.

I enjoyed reading your "thesis".

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

so twisted form of patriotism .... no .... its a bit more simple the 360 got picked up first friends are on live, so people buying in are more likely to buy the version that friends have. or that frat boy effect if you prefer.

true greater graphics capacity is important part of why the wii does poorly, but the Ns online structure, combined with its bizarre desire to market madden on wii as something else than other madden hurt sales, as dose the demographic of main buyers.

for the ps3 to become the principle player they need to expand the install base so more friends will have then its just a toss up to what a person prefers.

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

The sad thing is people keep buying the same game every year. At least the wii version offered something new.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

Just looking at the numbers and seeing the role reversal for ps2 and ps3. Next year should be a little over 600k and closer to the 360 version since it seems like that version had very little change but who knows.