By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 on the rise. Doomsayers eat crow.

steven787 said:
Spankey said:
Soleron said:

The PS3 Fanboy To Reality Dictionary has this entry for Rise:

"Level to slight fall over a non-holiday seven month period and failing to beat Xbox 360 consistently, while not even threatening the Wii's dominance."

I prefer this graph: http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

What is that graph supposed to show?

The sales rate is declining, not rising. Of course total sales rise, but if you want to make that comparison then PS3 is still 3rd place.

This denial is really funny.

Do you really think a $400 PS3 is going to beat $200 360's this Chrismas.

No HDD, no wifi, no bluray conceded... but 200 bucks is 7-10 budget games on 360. Chrismas buyers love budget games.

It's a great console, I don't understand why you guys feel the need to justify it's place in the sales rankings.

Why does it matter if people like or buy what you like and buy. Enough are buying to sustain the software. Even if PS3 never makes a dime, Sony will still be making a PS4.

Which part refers to me?

If it's the first part then the graph, as it states, shows hardware sales from launch, clearly showing the PS3 selling faster from launch than the 360, yet not as fast as the Wii. the "rise" is the rise above the 360's sales over the same period.

I'm not justifying anything, just pointing out a different interperetation of the data.

If the last part refers to me, I'm lost. I've never asked anyone to like the same things as me. How boring would the world be then?

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

Around the Network
Galaki said:
PS3 is first place! It's not directly competing with Wii and Xbox 360!!

This.

@ OP: Next time, try debating someone other than a straw man.

The PS3 is doing better than last year, but that isn't saying much, since last year it was fighting an epic battle with the GBA.

Anyway, my complaints:

-No BC any longer, once they phase out the old 80gb model
-Too much software overlap with the cheaper and easier-to-develop-for 360
-Not enough interesting exclusives
-Not enough interesting new IP (Motorstorm, Uncharted, and, uh...)
-Still too expensive, especially compared to the 360
-Not enough artsy games (Sony's first-party games seem to have taken a sharp turn at Gritty St. and Realism Ave.)
-The Blu-Ray "Trojan horse" still isn't needed, and it's just driving up the price. The 360 gets by just fine without it.
-Mandatory installs on certain games suck. I'll take increased loading time over several gb of junk on my HDD.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Well, to be honest; the PS3 is doing a lot better than the haters would attribute at this point but it is heavily underperforming according to fan and manufacturer wishes and "foresight".
Yes, Sony has/had become ancient Rome; decadent and arrogant in its seat of power, making foregone conclusions based on their own (illusions of) grandeur.
However; the have made a startling comeback over the last 12 months or so and should be lauded for crawling out of a really, really deep ditch.

Goddamn dp, site lagging like a mofo. Sorry!

Around the Network

@ KZ2

I agree, the negativity spread by certain fanboys and US media was far over the top. I believe things will improve much further the coming years, in the end I think Sony will be applauded by the bulk of gamers for their more daring PS3 efforts early on.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Dno said:
Darc Requiem said:
leo-j said:
Darc Requiem said: 

In order for crow to be doled out. The Wii would have "stop selling" like PS3 fanboys have been foolishly saying since it took off and PS3 would have to surpass it. Neither is the case and the PS3 has quite a ways to go to even catch the 360.

Let me ask you something, were in his "rant" does it say anything about the wii?

It isn't and neither is the 360. Of course its difficult to be on the rise when you are still in third place. I mean honestly a good deal of his rant is about Sony "fixing" things that the PS3 should have had in the first place. Doomsayers were saying that the PS3 would be third, the PS3 won't catch the 360, the PS3 won't catch the Wii. The PS3 is still third, it still hasn't caught the 360, and it has virtually no chance in catching the Wii. I mean honestly I do need to eat crow on one thing, I assumed that the PS3 would eventually suprass the 360 in RPGS and Japanese style games overall. That was why I bought my PS2 and why I don't own a PS3.

Hmmmm....

So selling over 1.8 million more units world wide means nuthin?

silly Darc

No what silly is how PS3 fanboys continually lower the bar for the systems success and think no one will notice.

I don't quite understand all the bashing the ps3 got myself.

1. I don't really remember any time a system launched with a bunch of great titles. Generally it's like one or two standout titles and a bunch of crap. 360 and Wii suffered the same problems. I just hear less people talking about it.

2. Loss of BC sucks. I didn't hear that many people bitching about it on the 360 and I'm sure Sony will fix it in time much like Microsoft did and get some extra money selling those old games again instead of letting retailers of used games get all the profits. If you really care that much i believe you can still scout one of the mgs bundles to get BC.

3. I don't remember nearly as many complaints about the Xbox library being mostly ps2 ports. More games equal more for gamers to play. No one is bitching about Capcoms ports for Wii.

4. Sony's online wasn't as good as Live at Launch. Microsoft's Live wasn't as good as it is now at 360's launch. They added a lot of things to live over the course of the first year of the 360. it didn't come with in game dashboard and plenty of features that were added later. I remember because i did tech support for the 360 which is a large part of why i will never buy one.

5. Interesting is a matter of opinion. I haven't found much that's interesting at all this generation of games on all consoles so far. But that's why i never buy a system when it first comes out. i wait for libraries to evolve and present something that i do find interesting. I do hang out with many people who do so i can get impressions of the software lineup but all three have been vastly disappointing to me.

6.Installs suck on the ps3, now everyone rejoice because the 360 is going to get them?!?

7. Price drops will happen over time. If i don't pick up a ps3 this winter for LBP the only "Next Gen" game I'm still looking forward to, i'll be waiting for a 299 price point which i expect to be here no later than March 2009 which will give the online community some time to blossom and see if it's really worth it. Or if they bundle a ps3 with LBP and a ps eye for 399.

Oh man, I cant wait until the PS3 drops to $200, once that happens I just want to see the sales for that platform, selling more or less I don't care just that the entire arguement of: "The PS3 isn't good enough to cost $150 more than Wii." Needs to be halted.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

@ Darc Requiem

No what silly is how PS3 fanboys continually lower the bar for the systems success and think no one will notice.

There are various different measures for success, for instance consumer sales, best quality content, profits, market influence, etc.

I think like a marathon the amount of success should be fully judged at the finish and not before that.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales