By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 on the rise. Doomsayers eat crow.

KZ2 said:

In 2006, Sony released the PS3 under heavy scrutiny by the media and gamers alike. The list of PS3 bashing just piled up. Out of the gate, the bashing started: HDMI wasn't needed...Blu-Ray wasn't needed...high price...lack of games...no rumble...hard to develop for...HDMI not included...inferior hardware...online sucks...Space not needed. Sony fails at format wars. Sony lies. Sony is arrogant. No choice. Bad backward compatability. 1080P not needed.

From launch, the PS3 had many features that weren't applauded. Given the trend of negative Sony news, good things were thrown aside like: Linux, Internet browser, replaceable hard drive, open ended development, free online, reliable hardware, motion sensing controller, and future proof features like HDMI and Blu-Ray.

As of June 2007, Sony had fixed a lot of issues. The PS3 bashing had dwindled down to lack of killer games, Blu-Ray necessity, no rumble, high price, online sucks, no HDMI cable .

One year later, Sony has fixed just about everything that can be done. The biggest issue was price, which dropped. Now price is no longer an issue. Blu-Ray won the format war and has proved to be a necessity in gaming. Carmack demonstrated that compression leads to graphical loss. He further demonstrated that DVD9 is getting tight on space. Rumble is here along with killer games. In 2 months LittleBigPlanet will surface. Online no longer sucks. What's left is a lack of an included HDMI cable.

Sony has made further improvements to seal the deal. In game XMB is here. Trophies and custom soundtracks have been released. PSN has an online video store. HD audio has surfaced. PSP and PS3 have merged together.

Today the antiPS3 arguments are meh at best. Some scraps that have surfaced have now moved on to PS3 lack of RPGs, and?....meh. Only things I see now are people stealing PS3s. Maybe some blind hatred for the PS3 without anything to back it up. I agree that PS3 has a lack of RPGs but that issue is not nearly as bad as the price issue last year. Is there anything else left? I know there's something....there always is.

@ Bolded
I like that you refer to these things has "bashing".. cause really none of those where important features needed right?? (<- sarcasm)

Sony messed up its launch and its taking them almost two years to get where they are at now, which is a third place Blu ray player that plays games.

@underlined

hehe "Further improvements by COPY/PASTING"??  it got desperate with online and just copied Xbox Live and "second life", which btw might even work and offer a better service then Xbox Live..

PS3 is marginally doing better then the 360, yet you're whole thread makes it sound its pulling a "Wii".

@Last paragraph

The remaining argument isn't a lack of RPG's but of game genres in general, RPG's is just used to drive the point even further since it was a crown that the PS2 wore proudly.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
slimeattack said:
mesoteto said:
500 still to expensive
lack of BC
no hdmi
lack of RPG's

those are my concerns

The $499 PS3 has BC.

only for now last i heard the new 80 g coming dosent have ps2 bc anymore

mesoteto said:
500 still to expensive
lack of BC
no hdmi
lack of RPG's

those are my concerns

You are really concerned about the lack of a $20-30 (USD) HDMI wire? Really?

and the 499.99 version does have BC.

Darc Requiem said:
leo-j said:
Darc Requiem said: 

In order for crow to be doled out. The Wii would have "stop selling" like PS3 fanboys have been foolishly saying since it took off and PS3 would have to surpass it. Neither is the case and the PS3 has quite a ways to go to even catch the 360.

Let me ask you something, were in his "rant" does it say anything about the wii?

It isn't and neither is the 360. Of course its difficult to be on the rise when you are still in third place. I mean honestly a good deal of his rant is about Sony "fixing" things that the PS3 should have had in the first place. Doomsayers were saying that the PS3 would be third, the PS3 won't catch the 360, the PS3 won't catch the Wii. The PS3 is still third, it still hasn't caught the 360, and it has virtually no chance in catching the Wii. I mean honestly I do need to eat crow on one thing, I assumed that the PS3 would eventually suprass the 360 in RPGS and Japanese style games overall. That was why I bought my PS2 and why I don't own a PS3.

Hmmmm....

So selling over 1.8 million more units world wide means nuthin?

silly Darc

Spankey said:
Soleron said:

The PS3 Fanboy To Reality Dictionary has this entry for Rise:

"Level to slight fall over a non-holiday seven month period and failing to beat Xbox 360 consistently, while not even threatening the Wii's dominance."

I prefer this graph: http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php

What is that graph supposed to show?

The sales rate is declining, not rising.  Of course total sales rise, but if you want to make that comparison then PS3 is still 3rd place.

This denial is really funny.

Do you really think a $400 PS3 is going to beat $200 360's this Chrismas.

No HDD, no wifi, no bluray conceded... but 200 bucks is 7-10 budget games on 360.  Chrismas buyers love budget games.

It's a great console, I don't understand why you guys feel the need to justify it's place in the sales rankings.

Why does it matter if people like or buy what you like and buy.  Enough are buying to sustain the software.  Even if PS3 never makes a dime, Sony will still be making a PS4.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

Around the Network
Dno said:
mesoteto said:
500 still to expensive
lack of BC
no hdmi
lack of RPG's

those are my concerns

You are really concerned about the lack of a $20-30 (USD) HDMI wire? Really?

and the 499.99 version does have BC.

If that list was missing the HDMI complaint and instead had "$530 too expensive", would that make you feel better?

And the $499 doesn't have full BC.

Good stuff.
All I need is Rpg:s and im happy.
Otherwise I might buy Xbox with my ps3 just for RPG:s.

Take my love, take my land..

The PS3 has been doing better than it was doing in 2007, but it has also received a price reduction, new SKUs at a lower price, and several "Games of the Generation" and it is only selling at a rate to capture (roughly) 25% to 30% marketshare ...

Most of the 'Doomsayers' were not claiming that the PS3 wouldn't see an improvement, they were claiming that the PS3 couldn't come close to being the #1 console this generation and 2008 has vaildated that expectation (even with the PS3's 'Rise')

PS3 is first place! It's not directly competing with Wii and Xbox 360!!

PS3 is on the rise, from a distant third to third!

(Note: I actually believe that PS3 will finish 2nd this gen)

By the way, "blind hatred for the PS3"... perhaps it is you that has "blind faith"? The issues you praise Sony for resolving should not have been there in the first place, in the same way that RROD should not have been there in the first place for 360.

Fixing the issues (RROD and the PS3's issues) hasn't resolved anything, Nintendo are still ripping both of them to shreds and look at the issues it has that have been left unresolved since launch (little space, no HDD option yet, online is basically 3 games with very little support, lack of 3rd party new IP quality). Sony may be improving, but they aren't evolving, they are resolving (issues).