By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 on the rise. Doomsayers eat crow.

Please  stay on topic talk about PS3 and Sony only. I do not want to hear Wii propagand in my thread.

In 2006, Sony released the PS3 under heavy scrutiny by the media and gamers alike. The list of PS3 bashing just piled up. Out of the gate, the bashing started: HDMI wasn't needed...Blu-Ray wasn't needed...high price...lack of games...no rumble...hard to develop for...HDMI not included...inferior hardware...online sucks...Space not needed. Sony fails at format wars. Sony lies. Sony is arrogant. No choice. Bad backward compatability. 1080P not needed.

From launch, the PS3 had many features that weren't applauded. Given the trend of negative Sony news, good things were thrown aside like: Linux, Internet browser, replaceable hard drive, open ended development, free online, reliable hardware, motion sensing controller, and future proof features like HDMI and Blu-Ray.

As of June 2007, Sony had fixed a lot of issues. The PS3 bashing had dwindled down to lack of killer games, Blu-Ray necessity, no rumble, high price, online sucks, no HDMI cable .

One year later, Sony has fixed just about everything that can be done. The biggest issue was price, which dropped. Now price is no longer an issue. Blu-Ray won the format war and has proved to be a necessity in gaming. Carmack demonstrated that compression leads to graphical loss. He further demonstrated that DVD9 is getting tight on space. Rumble is here along with killer games. In 2 months LittleBigPlanet will surface. Online no longer sucks. What's left is a lack of an included HDMI cable.

Sony has made further improvements to seal the deal. In game XMB is here. Trophies and custom soundtracks have been released. PSN has an online video store. HD audio has surfaced. PSP and PS3 have merged together.

Today the antiPS3 arguments are meh at best. Some scraps that have surfaced have now moved on to PS3 lack of RPGs, and?....meh. Only things I see now are people stealing PS3s. Maybe some blind hatred for the PS3 without anything to back it up. I agree that PS3 has a lack of RPGs but that issue is not nearly as bad as the price issue last year. Is there anything else left? I know there's something....there always is.

Around the Network

Sony still lost. They aren't marketleader and won't be anymore this gen.

they failed whatever way you put it.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Everyone forgot about the playstation brand name last year.

I hate to break it to you buddy, but the Wii is still crushing the PS3 in all three major markets.

Yes, PS3 is on the rise.

But it won't finish in first place this gen :'(

Around the Network
Darc Requiem said:
I hate to break it to you buddy, but the Wii is still crushing the PS3 in all three major markets.

Would anyone expect it to be the other way around when there isn't anything (yet) that appeals to the casuals and there is still a $150 difference in price? You don't have to keep repeating something I know.

@OP
nice sentiment, and I do agree that Sony have dealt with (most of) the original problems.
However the fact remains that while MS and Sony duke it out over small points of one-upmanship, Ninty is just sitting back and hoovering up the profits.
Further, it's still far to early to stoke the fires of the crow oven just yet; there's still a few years left of play for the crow to become nicely marinaded.

@Neos:
*facepalm*
no need to get so defensive, Ninty is still leading the game.

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

slimeattack said:
Darc Requiem said:

Would anyone expect it to be the other way around when there isn't anything (yet) that appeals to the casuals and there is still a $150 difference in price? You don't have to keep repeating something I know.

In order for crow to be doled out. The Wii would have "stop selling" like PS3 fanboys have been foolishly saying since it took off and PS3 would have to surpass it. Neither is the case and the PS3 has quite a ways to go to even catch the 360.

Darc Requiem said: 

In order for crow to be doled out. The Wii would have "stop selling" like PS3 fanboys have been foolishly saying since it took off and PS3 would have to surpass it. Neither is the case and the PS3 has quite a ways to go to even catch the 360.

Let me ask you something, were in his "rant" does it say anything about the wii?

mM

since when did the guy say the PS3 was gunna win? he just said that the PS3 bashing wa sgoing down

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia