By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Microsoft's strategy is failing

The problem I see is that the 360 is a jack of many trades, master of none. They need to focus on one thing and make it so amazing it will be the clear leader. I thought it would be Live, but it has not really advanced all that much lately.

Around the Network
I'm afraid you're ignoring the massive games still coming (GeOW2 and Fable2 WILL sell).

Of course those games will sell copies, but will they sell a significant ammount of systems? Gears of War 2 definitely won't because the large majority of the game's demographic already own a 360 and either Gears of War or Halo 3. Fable II will sell a fair ammount but many WRPG fans have already purchased a 360 for Mass Effect.

Honestly, I think Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts will sell the most 360s of all the games upcoming this year. It has the legacy of quality as well as the casual appeal to sell millions if marketed correctly. Not only that, it will be the first real platformer on the 360 which gives a new, small demographic of people reason to buy a 360.

agree

consoles i own ps12 gba ds gc wii

papflesje said:
I'm afraid you're ignoring the massive games still coming (GeOW2 and Fable2 WILL sell).

==>

Fable2 : non event, too much nich game

GoW2 : big release, big bump, but mostly appeal to "Xbox360 already owners", will be ported on PC (online PC play is free)

And the PS3 is indeed up compared to last year, but let's admit it, they were doing LOUSY last year, so it's no surprise that they've stepped up a gear right now.

I wonder what MS will do to keep up with the PS3, but they haven't done as badly as some may believe (although I do think they have to step it up as well).

Time to Work !

TheSource said:

I think in developing Xbox 360 the plan for Microsoft was to do whatever it took to stop Sony...

Problem was the only way to top Sony was to have a console as good or better than PS2. So I think they set out to make the 360 library as similar to the PS2 library as possible. The problem is people seem to prefer the Wii library to the 360/PS3 library
, but since Microsoft largely succeeded in imitating/assembling the PS2 library, PS3 and Xbox 360 look awfully similar now, with maybe three notable exceptions on each side. For Microsoft the advantages/differentiations are Live, Microsoft published games, cheaper for 360 and for PS3 its Blu-Ray, Sony published games, brand image.

MS focused to kill Sony

They prepared everything to destroy the PS3

But there was a little, unexpected, retarded shit ...

Wii Wii Wii Wii !!!!!!!

Time to Work !

Around the Network
Microsoft was the first to bring online to consoles

Didn't the dreamcast have online?

This will only take a moment of your time. *steals your watch*

I was going to write something similar after the latest NPD results, but it looks like the OP covered everything very well. MS got on the map with the original Xbox because they had something that other consoles did not offer at the time with their Halo and online / network scene.

The problem like you said is that MS's main goal is to take someone out of the console market, rather than bring something new to the market.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

swyggi said:
Microsoft was the first to bring online to consoles

Didn't the dreamcast have online?

Saturn had it before it. I used it to play Quake and chat on the internet...

In any case OP...

What is this magical Sony inovation you speak of? I see nothing on PS3 thats is "innovating" any more than 360. Besides trying to innovate sometime backfires big time...just ask Sega. Why re-invent the wheel when the round one works just fine.

microsofts goal this gen is to steal market share, i think even microsoft know that ps3 will eventually overtake 360.

you just need to look at the price, with a much lower price point, lets say for arguments sake, 360 is selling as much as ps3.

how would it be when ps3 is at £249 or £199, i dont think 360 could compete, i mean how low can they go? reduce the core 360 price for £49.99 its already around £100 equivilant in the states

i belive in the coming years microsofts stategy is go gain market share ready for thier next console.

this plan of thiers may work, but i still belive sonys strategy is better

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Microsoft's strategy isn't faliling... it's winning.

The 360 tracks better than the original Xbox in all regions and Sony's importance has been extremely reduced. Besides, Microsoft are happy that people still play games on PC. That was one of their objective with the Xbox.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...