By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - How Microsoft's strategy is failing

Euphoria14 said:
woopah said:
lets someone has said, i wanna hear the sony innovation apart from LBB

PS3 biggest games are also sequels, eg. Resistance 2, killzone 2, GT5, GOW3

it does have new IPs eg. White knight chronicles but they dont seem as hyped to me

Name another console that will support 256 player online shooter.

How about the MMO first person shooter Huxley(360 and PC)? If I'm correct, you play with MUCH more than 256 players.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Around the Network
Euphoria14 said:
woopah said:

it does have new IPs eg. White knight chronicles but they dont seem as hyped to me

Huxley...On the X360. Donnybrook Project..On the X360.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Yeah, XBOX has a 5.5 million lead.

They also had a 7.5 million lead 41 weeks ago.

And Mii's a ripoff of Gamercard? lolz.

No matter how you spin it, constantly being outsold by the higher priced competitor with (arguably) worse online, (arguably) weaker library, and more screw ups than Britney Spears doesn't bode well for the system.

Skeeuk said:
mrstickball said:

The X360 still has a 5,500,000 unit lead, and that's a very hard thing to argue.

surely thats only and only, purely because of a near 15 month head start in the field? if i can remeber correctly it was 6,5000,000 lead earlier on which has now come down.

and over the coarse of 2009 will continue to come down.

yeah.. that was about one year ago... The PS3 took 1 year to gain one million units on the 360..

At this rate it will be five more years till the PS3 outsells the 360 WW

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

mrstickball said:
Euphoria14 said:
woopah said:

Huxley...On the X360. Donnybrook Project..On the X360.

I guess I stand corrected then. Although I have not heard anything in regards to Huxley on 360 in quite some time. Is the Nov 2008 release date still standing?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Around the Network
gebx said:
Skeeuk said:
mrstickball said:

The X360 still has a 5,500,000 unit lead, and that's a very hard thing to argue.

surely thats only and only, purely because of a near 15 month head start in the field? if i can remeber correctly it was 6,5000,000 lead earlier on which has now come down.

yeah.. that was about one year ago... The PS3 took 1 year to gain one million units on the PS3..

PS3 gained on the PS3? That's AMAZING!!! :P

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Also just to point out, I was reading up on Huxley. It says 100 vs 100 in the PC version. 360 will most likely do a maximum of 60 vs 60. Numerous sites state the 360 version as 120 player online. Big difference between that and 256.

As for Donnybrook Project, I googled it and found 1 article. Is it going by a different name or has it vanished? Honestly, until you mentioned it, I never heard of it.

In all honesty though, Huxley looks nice. Questing and leveling. :)

Currently playing:

mrstickball said:

Microsoft is innovating in the field of Online, and what it offers.

I did talk about their online offerings, and I disagree that bringing gimped online to consoles compared to PC games is innovation.  It's just bringing a service into a new market.  It's a good thing, but it is more of the copy and paste technique that Microsoft tends to apply to all areas in which they work.

Are avatars a rip off? Yes. But Mii's are a ripoff (or should I say, furthering) of the Gamercard system that Microsoft developed.

Miis are a rip off of gamercards?  That's a stretch -- most people wouldn't even consider the two similar.  Further, the Gamercard is not even close to unique or the first of its kind.

And what new is Sony giving us? Microsoft isn't fielding the first party studios like Sony or Nintendo is. And I agree fully that this is hurting innovation.

It looks like you answered your own question here.  Microsoft isn't fielding gaming innovation like Sony and Nintendo because they don't control much development.  Given that Viva Pinata is a good step in the right direction, there isn't much less.

Turn 10, Bizzarre, Bungie, Lionhead and Rare are putting out have been pretty good - not as large as the cataloge of Sony, but equal or exceeding in quality. Neither has anything near Nintendo though. Your In the Movies and Lips seem to be very good innovative additions to their casual branch.

I'll agree that Turn 10 and Rare are doing good work.  Bungie has a relationship with Microsoft, as other third parites do, but are otherwise unaffiliated.  And I don't appreciate their work all that much.  For me, Halo 3 is just another online shooter although with a bad framerate at times (even with only 8 players). 

The problem is that good work is not innovation, which seems to be the point I made that you dispute.

And say what you will, Microsoft is the soul innovator in terms of Digital Distribution. No service has anywhere near the length or breadth of Xbox Live Arcade's unique IPs. This month alone, Xbox 360 Live gamers have received Braid, Geometry Wars, Bionic Commando, Galga Legions and Castle Crashers. What exactly did PSN or WiiWare get this month?

It's not innovation, it's a service brought to consoles.  And it is a service that other companies were planning on bringing to consoles for a while -- Microsoft just beat them to the punch.  Digital distribution is something Microsoft was beat to a million times over in the world.  It just so happens that there are only 3 players in the console market, so beating the other two when you release your console a year earlier doesn't equate to innovation, it equates to bringing a service that everyone knew would come to consoles eventually before your competitors do.

Again, nothing innovative there. Just a known-and-true technology that was started by MS competitors in areas outside of home consoles.

And if you look at this generation, Microsoft has been doing a stellar job at destroying the Shooterbox definition the Xbox was known for. Microsoft's 360 has the most robust cataloge of RPGs, Sports, FPS, and RTS games of any console. This if a far cry from what they did just 4 years ago. You can argue their lack of first party titles, but you cannot deny they've done a spectacular job of not only stealing Sony exclusives, but ensuring that every 3rd party game comes out on their system - something that neither Nintendo or Sony bother with.

I agree with you.  There's a lot of improvement compared to last generation.

In 2008, sales have taken a turn for the worse when compared to the PS3.

How have X360's sales taken a turn for the worse? They are up 57% from last year in the same period of time. Lets look at actual numbers, which is something you didn't do:

Read the bolded, underlined part of my quote.  Sony is doing better, Nintendo is doing better.  They're both selling more additional units than Microsoft when compared to last year.  You're taking my quote, cutting part of it out, then saying I said something which I did not say.  If you quote me, please quote me honestly.

You seem to make it sound like I'm only attacking Microsoft.  I did outline where I thought they were doing well, and I did that first.  I'm not arguing against the idea that they're ahead of the PS3, I'm simply suggesting that Microsoft is losing that lead this year very rapidly.  You mention Microsoft's biggest region, but you should at least admit that there is only one region where the 360 is doing well, and now that Sony and Nintendo are both outselling the 360 this year it looks very bad.  It should certainly be beating the PS3 in America.

It doesn't make sense to deny the current situation the way you are, or the way Microsoft does.  MS recently was quoted saying that Sony didn't have any momentum going this year, then they generated some statistics to suggest that they were still ahead of the PS3 about as much as they were right after the PS3 launched.  You can bend those statistics to say whatever the hell you want -- by chosing start points and stop points, by comparing specific items rather than overall performance, and by chosing your data so as to mitigate the results from recent trends and highlight past trends.  And you see MS do this week over week.

We need to step back and say, "Microsoft unquestionably crushed Sony through the end of 2007, even world wide.  But for the first 7 months of 2008 Sony has crushed Microsoft even if you look primarily at Microsoft's sole strong market.  What can be done about this?  What's going wrong?"

That's what I'm asking.

gebx said:
Skeeuk said:
mrstickball said:

yeah.. that was about one year ago... The PS3 took 1 year to gain one million units on the PS3..

Oh come on. PS3's first year was atrocious, don't act like u don't know about that. Fact is, PS3 managed to make up 1 mil with a HORRIBLE "false start" with all of the negative press and doom books being written (OK only one) about the PS3's failure and it still managed to get 1 mil. Saying that it'll take 5 more years to catch up is just ludicrous. It has already outsold the 360 by 1 and half million this year, so by ur statement, the 360 would have to outsell the PS3 by half a mil. from now till the end of the year, and everybody know, that's not happening.

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, XBOX has a 5.5 million lead.

They also had a 7.5 million lead 41 weeks ago.

And Mii's a ripoff of Gamercard? lolz.

No matter how you spin it, constantly being outsold by the higher priced competitor with (arguably) worse online, (arguably) weaker library, and more screw ups than Britney Spears doesn't bode well for the system.

And it's not like the Playstation 3 has the brand recognition of the 3DO. This is the Playstation brand name we're talking about. 130 million units sold last gen, remember? Brand name isn't the be-all end-all, but it does play a part of having a hardcore fanbase that is willing to blindly purchase a system despite atrocious decisions by the manufacturer. Sega Saturn, N64, and the Gamecube all similar failures in design, yet sold better than they should of thanks to being backed by Sega, and Nintendo. Had the Xbox 360 had the same design of the PS3, but the MS name (and vice versa), the 360 would have easily been the worst failure in gaming history.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.