By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Epic: Our games don't appeal to the Wii's crowd.

DMeisterJ said:
Exactly Monti

Epic is doing what most game companies should be doing. Evaluating their sales, and seeing what sells on systems before promising support for a console.

That's what Ubisoft did. They promised quality games, before finding out that shovelware sells pretty damn well. So they reformatted what they were doing. So instead of Epic promising something and falling through, you know exactly what to expect.

I like that.

Who determines if these games are shovelware? I agree Wii has seen a lot of shovelware, but great games sell as well.

Going by your fanboy logic every company should stop developing any game and focus on bringing shovelware to the Wii.

And read again, no one's pissed because those games aren't coming to the Wii, were pissed by his statements. That guy is a fucking loser.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

"the best way to make a game that works on multiple platforms is to build a super-awesome story, find a badass hero and then work with the system particulars to deliver tailored experiences"

BOOSH !!

Sky Render said:
This all seems familiar somehow... Ah yes, the late 1980s and early 1990s, when so many renowned PC developers refused to develop for the "horribly underpowered", "kiddie" NES, acting like the popular alternative to their medium was somehow "below" them. Most of those developers no longer exist, and the few that still do survive almost entirely due to mergers or having given into reality and started development of console games.

The moral of the story is: elitists are always the ones to suffer greatest in a disruption, and always the noisiest about it before, during, and after their fall. As such, it's just plain not worth it to care when a studio decides to set themselves against the disruptor.

I think Epic will be just fine. The Wii isn't some lifeline needed for every company.

trestres said:

http://gonintendo.com/?p=52735

As soon as we saw the EA/Epic partner deal yesterday, we knew the game wasn’t going to hit Wii. The first bit of information released confirmed the platforms, and Wii wasn’t one of them. Now, Epic rubs a little salt in the wound with their further statements on the game. Check out this snippet from a Kotaku article…

And we won’t have to worry about some watered-down version on the Wii. (Michael Capps, President of Epic Games) is pretty sure this new game won’t appeal to “that crowd” and that the best way to make a game that works on multiple platforms is to build a super-awesome story, find a badass hero and then work with the system particulars to deliver tailored experiences.

What a bunch of assholes, that's my opinion.

This doesn't really surprise me. Epic has always been about graphics. PIXELS PIXELS WE NEED MORE GODDAMN PIXELS!!!

"Here's my concept, Mr. Rein/Capps ...."

"... WILL THERE BE LOTS OF PIXELS?"

" ... f*** you guys"

In the end that's why the original UT was the unwanted bastard child compared to Q3A, and why UT2004 and UT3 were essentially dead in the water at launch. Graphics were always amazing, but it felt like it was always priority #1.

Don't get me wrong I love Gears of War, one of my favorite games of all time but it's by no means a run of the mill Epic game. Generally before Gears anything I heard goin on at Epic didn't really make me jump out of my seat or really care what they were doing.

I can't wait till the era of same old same old comes to an end. It's kind of funny when you think about all the advantages the Wii has as far as things like development cost and time and how hell bent some companies are to avoid trying some new things out.

Much like the PS3 and 360, I imagine a lot of these companies that play on the margin will be left in the dust. The problems with Wii 3rd party isn't the Wii or Nintendo, it's the old guard mentality.

Exactly Monti

Epic is doing what most game companies should be doing. Evaluating their sales, and seeing what sells on systems before promising support for a console.

Evaluating their sales? They can't base what sells on the Wii based on their own sales. And if you mean games like Epic's, there has to actually BE games like Epic's on the Wii to see if they sell.

That's what Ubisoft did. They promised quality games, before finding out that shovelware sells pretty damn well. So they reformatted what they were doing. So instead of Epic promising something and falling through, you know exactly what to expect.

More bullshit. Ubisoft is making better games than that. They just are waiting to show them off, as they did with Red Steel 2. So what if they are making cheap games. That didn't magically start with the Wii, and Ubisoft is not giving the Wii nothing but that. The fact that you support that lie, even after I realized it was a lie (but you are denying I did, no matter how many times I stated I did), just makes you look like a fanboy.

I like that.

No, you like developers supporting your Wii bashing, however subtle you try to make it. Supporting lies with no actual proof is fanboyism. And that's to both you and Montana. You both are full of it. Epic has no proof their games won't sell on the Wii, and you know it. Sovelware selling well is ONLY proof of those games selling well. It is NOT MAGICALLY PROOF OTHER GAMES WILL FLOP.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

What stereotypical and unenthusiastic "remakes" of bleak and weak shooter games don't appeal to the Wii crowd. Would have never known.

Much the same logic was applied to the PC gaming industry in the late 80s and early 90s, you realize. They figured that the industry saw plenty of software sales and that nobody would abandon the PC to play on consoles. By 2000, that idea was quite thoroughly quashed as the console market exploded and PC software sales dwindled to a fraction of their console brethren.

When a disruption occurs, no industry player is "safe". You either change to match the new rules of the game, or you fail. Epic won't die off any time soon, it's true. But it may well be that they will be forgotten before the next decade is spent.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Cougarman said:
Untouch said:
Epic doesn't like money?

That's weird O_o

epic likes money very very much, but the wii is everything they dont stand for, besides they get their money from unreal 3 engine and that doesnt run on wii.

Actually, it's being ported to Wii already by one of the engines license holders.

Ubisoft first ported over UE2 to Wii via Red Steel.  It's thought either Ubisoft, for Red Steel 2, or Gearbox will be porting UE3 to Wii.

The rEVOLution is not being televised

EPic for the lose ...

Epic needs to shut the fuck up.

For a company that's so dead set against the Wii they sure do bring it up a lot. They whine about it more than Microsoft and Sony. I like to hear elitists make douches out of themselves as much as the next person but, stop talking please. We get it.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"