By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The Official July NPD Thread (data for 4 weeks ending 8/2 comes @ 6:30 est)

Official Spin Articles up on the front page

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network
Gobias said:
starcraft said:
It is quite clear that the introduction of Jasper's has resulted in a decrease in demand for Xbox 360's and an increase in demand for the now hotter and louder PS3 as seasonal change brings about cooler temperatures.

Furthermore, a cold front movi..................AERFSDFASwedyulaberfr.......

What? MY SPIN-MACHINE IS BROKEN!!!!!!!!

WHATEVER WILL I DO!!?!?!?!?!

*dies*

DMJ will be dissapointed.

sad how "supposedly being quieter" is now a weapon of xbox fanboys. "yay we got a new chipset, one that only 1% of owners have! yippee!" Of course it'll be the same when sony eventually upgrades the BRD, but whatever, let them eat cake.

theprof00 said:
Gobias said:
starcraft said:
It is quite clear that the introduction of Jasper's has resulted in a decrease in demand for Xbox 360's and an increase in demand for the now hotter and louder PS3 as seasonal change brings about cooler temperatures.

*dies*

DMJ will be dissapointed.

sad how "supposedly being quieter" is now a weapon of xbox fanboys. "yay we got a new chipset, one that only 1% of owners have! yippee!" Of course it'll be the same when sony eventually upgrades the BRD, but whatever, let them eat cake.

You need to go here.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Gobias said:
gsteven787 said:
marciosmg said:
Wow.

VGC - NPD USA Estimate for July Sales

Wii 520,000

PS3 180,000

Xbox 360 310,000

PSP 270,000

DS 668,000

PS2 136,000

NPD - July

DS 608k
Wii 555k
Playstation 3 225k
PSP 222k
Xbox 360 205k
Playstation 2 155k

PS3 - undertracked (45k)
360 - way overtracked (105k)

Wow, NPD is way off.

Now that, is original. Hats off to you sir.

Thanks.  But I wasn't joking or kissing VGChartz ass.

Without Walmart, I really think all tracking is pretty much a shot in the dark.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

starcraft said:

*dies*

LOL!

Though personally I don't care about this NPD: It only deals with America and my signature deals with the world. The only numbers that matter to me are the shipment numbers and the Vgchartz numbers.

NPD may be interesting but i've never paid much attention to it, I was always more interested in the weekly numbers here anyway.

Tease.

Around the Network
Squilliam said:
starcraft said:

*dies*

LOL!

Though personally I don't care about this NPD: It only deals with America and my signature deals with the world. The only numbers that matter to me are the shipment numbers and the Vgchartz numbers.

NPD may be interesting but i've never paid much attention to it, I was always more interested in the weekly numbers here anyway.

Oh you.

As in go buy us some coffee.

http://speedhunters.com

Gobias said:
Squilliam said:
starcraft said:

*dies*

LOL!

Oh you.

The gaps 42901 now.

Tease.

leo-j said:
Jlmadyson said:
leo-j said:
superchunk said:
meh, I don't care about over/under as compared to npd. They are only estimating as much as vgc is. You guys would be jumping all for vgc if the numbers were showing PS3 leading here and losing on NPD.

What I do care about is that ps3+360 < Wii. :)

Wii on to 50%!

NPD estimates?

Were did you get this from? NPD gets retail reports they dont estimate anything

They have to estimate about 40% of there sales numbers IIRC as they do not have total tracking. For one they do not have any Wal-Mart numbers as Wal-Mart does not provide them.

I must say these numbers are very weird almost to the point of unbelievable real.

I didnt know? Link?

Also I agree, I did not expect the ps3 to outsell the 360 in july because of the price cut and nothing else.

leo-j, I'm shocked that you've been an active user on this site for so long without realizing that NPD reports estimates!

Sources for the fact that NPD collects data from about 60% of retailers, and has to estimate the other 40%:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/npd-defends-integrity-of-its-video-game-data/18586/
http://www.pgnx.net/news.php?page=full&id=10293
http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=740

Sources for the fact that NPD does not get any data from Walmart or Toys R Us:

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/npd-defends-integrity-of-its-video-game-data/18586/
http://gonintendo.com/?p=29771
http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=740

Those are some pretty low 360 numbers, when did Microsoft drop the price of the 360 to $300? I'm sure it would of taken upwards of two weeks for retailers to get flyers out that show the change in price. I would no doubt expect a nice rally from the 360 for the month of August.

It also appears the wii is being affected from the summer months and the back to school spending. The wii has also continued to increase its retail market supply during the month. This christmas should be a interesting view at the US market, as the new 60gb unit may drop to $300, and its holiday bundle will be out with two packaged games.

Griffin this is a shorter month - Wii and 360 sales increased this month on a weekly basis. June was five weeks. July was four weeks.

Wii went from 133k/week in June to 139k/week in July

360 went from 44k/week in June to 51k/week in July

NPD June Wk Avg July Wk Avg
Wii 666,000 133,200 555,000 138,750
flat+
Xbox 360 219,800 43,960 204,800 51,200 up
PS3 405,500 81,100 224,900 56,225 down
DS 783,000 156,600 608,400 152,100
flat-
PSP 337,400 67,480 221,700 55,425 down
PS2 188,000 37,600 155,500 38,875
flat+

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu