By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What if Sony kept the Boomerang?

What a horrible design for a controller. How are your thumbs suppose to reach the buttons near the top of the controller?

Around the Network

It doesn't look like it'd be that hard to reach the buttons

I'm a bit weird in that I significantly prefer the Original X-Box controller to the small version, but my question with the boomerang really would be why it is exceptionally long. 50% of the controller is pure wasted space with the legs sticking out? The controller may be more comfortable, but it needs to be hobbled. Otherwise, no concerns whatsoever with it. Unless the R/L/1/2 buttons were in crappy placements, but we can't see that.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

I really wish they'd kept the boomerang. Maybe it looked a little silly, but it was obviously designed with ergonomics in mind. Has anybody ever used the old Microsoft Sidewinder PC controller? It had a very similar shape (and motion sensing too, in fact). It looked way too big to handle, but it was the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Your hands actually wrapped all the way around the handles rather than twisting into grotesque claw shapes.

The Dual Shock really needs to go. The original PSX controller was pretty good, but then they slapped on the analog sticks without any attempt to redesign the shape of the controller around them. The brackets for the sticks took the space where your bottom 3 fingers were supposed to go, so those fingers just kind of hung there in an uncomfortable position.

And then they kept this awkward, slapped together, child-sized disaster for another 2 generations. Good lord.

I still have a faint hope that they'll do a proper ergonomic redesign on it for the updated Sixaxis-with-rumble, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I really can't imagine that the Boomerang was ever anything other than an intentionally provocative design without much chance of making it to the light of day. To me it looks fairly unergonomic with your hands sitting at weird angles.

However, the sixaxis doesn't feel that great to me, especially with those curved trigger buttons.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
Fuzzmosis said:
I'm a bit weird in that I significantly prefer the Original X-Box controller to the small version, but my question with the boomerang really would be why it is exceptionally long. 50% of the controller is pure wasted space with the legs sticking out? The controller may be more comfortable, but it needs to be hobbled. Otherwise, no concerns whatsoever with it. Unless the R/L/1/2 buttons were in crappy placements, but we can't see that.

lol, I liked the origonal Xbox controller over the redesign too. 

I think the Boomerang had it's R2 and L2 buttons placed lower on the backside of the controller, I think that would feel more comfortable to be able to have a finger on each button at all times as opposed to the Sixaxis, it would feel more natural. 

the reason they didnt keep the boomerang is fear. WHAT IF PEOPLE DONT LIKE IT??? thaaat'd be bad!

IllegalPaladin said:
Fuzzmosis said:

I think the Boomerang had it's R2 and L2 buttons placed lower on the backside of the controller, I think that would feel more comfortable to be able to have a finger on each button at all times as opposed to the Sixaxis, it would feel more natural.

you guys must have gigantic hands...

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Hmmm... Iff they kept the boomerang design! Maybe PS3 would be selling slightly ABOVE 10k a week in Japan?!

Or above 20k a week in US?!

Hehe ... Srry for that evil post! But i think dual shock is better than the Boomerang... People would just kill emselves with it! And it seems less ergonomic than the first Xbox controller! And THAT DOES say SOMETHING!

THE NETHERLANDS

omgwtfbbq said:
IllegalPaladin said:
Fuzzmosis said:

you guys must have gigantic hands...

Agree, yor hands are big....or my hands are just small

Also, how on earth are you holding your SIXAXIS, if you're refering to the L1, L2, R1 and R2 buttons, I always have index fingers on the L1 and R1 buttons, and Middle fingers on L2 and R2 buttons, so I don't see what you're talking about that.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk