By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Sega: Sony likely needs substantial PS3 price cut

Bodhesatva said:
naznatips said:
davygee said:
Bodhesatva said:

Or maybe the Japanese simply don't care very much about the console. Honestly, the PS3 is out of spare lives in Japan: it's lowered its price (Which was already lower than the US price), Japan has a solid HDTV adoption rate (Japan has the highest in the world), it's had major Japan-centric title released (Gundam Musou and now Folk Soul), and it faces much weaker competition from the 360 in Japan than it does in the US/Europe (where both the 360 AND the Wii are beating it), and yet the system just can't gain any traction.

At some point you have to stop looking for excuses and simply say that the system isn't doing well in Japan. The launch gate has closed, all of the maneuvering has been tried, but the PS3 just keeps falling farther and farther behind.

You can't just disregard the price of the system as being it's problem....of course it's a huge problem of the PS3.

The PS3 although cheap in Japan at around $400 is still double the cost of the Wii which is around $200.

The price isn't an excuse...it's primarily the reason IMHO. And this is why Nintendo are running away with all the gold. The PS3 isn't just expensive...it's ridiculously expensive in all 3 markets. Although if a PS3 was priced around $400 in the UK...they WOULD be sold out, seeing as that makes in come in at not much over £200...it is currently double this in the UK.

I don't think it's price in Japan anymore. I think at this point the Japanese have been shown to be apathetic towards the system under any circumstances. They have: HD TVs + $400 Price + Holiday (Golden Week) + Gundam Musou and the sales didn't budge an inch. I think it's become basically dead weight at least until FFXIII, and that could be delayed till Xmas 08 in Japan and 09 for us.

Oh right, it has seen a major holiday already. So let's review. In Japan, the PS3 has already seen:

1) Several major, high budget, Japan-oriented releases

2) A major holiday sale season

3) A price drop

4) Much weaker competition from the 360

And the system still hasn't budged. What we're now saying is that maybe another Holiday will be better, and another price cut will be different, and perhaps the next major titles will sell better than Mosou or FolkSoul have. We could use these excuses ad infinitum, actually. Three years from now, people could still be insisting that God of War 4 and Ratchet and Clank 7, combined with a price cut to 200 dollars and the Christmas season -- THAT will finally invigorate sales.

Realistically, however, all the bullets have been fired. Sony's out of ammunition in Japan, and not only have they not gained momentum, they've fallen farther and farther behind.

We are supposed to take you serious ?

I see ,Resident Evil 5 ,Devil May Cry 5 ,Silent Hill 5 ,Gran turismo 5 ,Eye of Judgement ,Heavenly Sword ,Rise to Lair ,White Knight Story ,Hot Shots Golf 5 ,Final Fantasy XIII ,Final Fantasy XIII Versus ,The Last Remnant ,Bladestorm  ,Metal Gear Solid 4 ,Pro Evolution Soccer etc arent out but Sony is out of ammunition because the remake of Ninja gaiden ,Folksouls (released at 20K units first week ) and Virtua Fighter 5 didnt push the system .Oh yes  .

And we have to take that the console is cheaper there since launch as proof that they have had a price cut ....even having in count the Wii is 170 dollars there and the X360 250 plus a game .

If its necessary Sony will reduce the price of the system and redesing it but it wont fail .If you wish it so fervently you are for a big deception some time from now .

Around the Network

Davygee - I don't think it would need to be dropped to £299 in November. If it was dropped to £350 in September within a couple of months big stores will be selling it at that price with a couple of games - and that couple of months would be Christmas.

Getting the PS3 below that £400 mark would be a big barrier breaker, so £350 could do wonders. Include the amount of competition stores get in England (it's like a reverse Ebay type thing in the UK), the stores could drop the price by a further £20, or include some games. Including the games would get their attach rtates higher and make it more appealling to developers. Dropping the price also gives people more money to spend on games (surprise, surprise).

Diomedes1976 said:

I see ,Resident Evil 5 ,Devil May Cry 5 ,Silent Hill 5 ,Gran turismo 5 ,Eye of Judgement ,Heavenly Sword ,Rise to Lair ,White Knight Story ,Hot Shots Golf 5 ,Final Fantasy XIII ,Final Fantasy XIII Versus ,The Last Remnant ,Bladestorm ,Metal Gear Solid 4 ,Pro Evolution Soccer etc arent out but Sony is out of ammunition because the remake of Ninja gaiden ,Folksouls (released at 20K units first week ) and Virtua Fighter 5 didnt push the system .Oh yes .

And we have to take that the console is cheaper there since launch as proof that they have had a price cut ....even having in count the Wii is 170 dollars there and the X360 250 plus a game .

If its necessary Sony will reduce the price of the system and redesing it but it wont fail .If you wish it so fervently you are for a big deception some time from now .

Good for you. Here is what most people who pay attention see:

Resident Evil 5: RE4 didn't break 1 million sold in Japan on Wii, PS2, and Gamecube COMBINED. Obviously RE5 will though right? The PS3 just magically changes everything.

Devil May Cry 5: DMC3 sold .35 million in Japan. Another system seller you got right there.

Silent Hill 5: last one didn't even break 1 million worldwoide. (are you starting to see a pattern yet?)

Gran Turismo 5: 1.10 Million on GT4, it's gotta chance to sell a couple hundred thousand systems in Japan at most.

Eye of Judgement: It's a card game. Yes, the Japanese like these but what do you expect out of it?

Heavenly Sword: They won't buy God of War, why would they buy God of War as a woman?

Lair: Japanese don't play flying games. Case in point: Rogue Squadron sold 30K copies in Japan.

White Knight Story: I'm sure it will sell as well as Folksoul

Hot Shots Golf 5: A casual golf game on a hardcore system, last one sold 1.34 million. Good luck with that.

Final Fantasy XIII and vs: Yeah, these will likely boost sales some. As I said it's dead weight till FFXIII.

The Last Remnant: See; White Knight Story and Folksoul.

Bladestorm: Becase the Japanese are all over war games. (Man i hope you understand sarcasm)

Metal Gear Solid 4: 3 sold .86 million in Japan. Man I'm enjoying this.

Pro Evolution Soccer: Last sold .92 million. This game sits around with Everybod'ys Golf as a casual sports game on a hardcore system. Games like Everybody's Golf and this have been replaced by Wii games like Wii Sports.

Most of these will probably be good games, but that doesn't mean they sell systems. As far as a price cut goes, Sony cannot afford that. They suffered HUGE losses to get it out at a reasonable price in Japan and to take a cut. What on earth makes you think that they have the money to cut it again in Japan? They'll be lucky to have the money to cut it in America and Europe. Japan has to be their biggest disappointment, with all the effort and money they spent to try and get the japanese to buy their system.

Well said naznatips

davygee said:
Bodhesatva said:

Or maybe the Japanese simply don't care very much about the console. Honestly, the PS3 is out of spare lives in Japan: it's lowered its price (Which was already lower than the US price), Japan has a solid HDTV adoption rate (Japan has the highest in the world), it's had major Japan-centric title released (Gundam Musou and now Folk Soul), and it faces much weaker competition from the 360 in Japan than it does in the US/Europe (where both the 360 AND the Wii are beating it), and yet the system just can't gain any traction.

At some point you have to stop looking for excuses and simply say that the system isn't doing well in Japan. The launch gate has closed, all of the maneuvering has been tried, but the PS3 just keeps falling farther and farther behind.

You can't just disregard the price of the system as being it's problem....of course it's a huge problem of the PS3.

The PS3 although cheap in Japan at around $400 is still double the cost of the Wii which is around $200.

The price isn't an excuse...it's primarily the reason IMHO. And this is why Nintendo are running away with all the gold. The PS3 isn't just expensive...it's ridiculously expensive in all 3 markets. Although if a PS3 was priced around $400 in the UK...they WOULD be sold out, seeing as that makes in come in at not much over £200...it is currently double this in the UK.

Oh? There were stores selling it for just over $300 in Japan and few bought it. Some Americans were importing it from Japan because it was so cheap.

Getting the PS3 below that £400 mark would be a big barrier breaker, so £350 could do wonders. 

I've seen sales for a PS3 + motorstorm for £375.  Sony seems to be experimenting to discover how people will respond at various price points and it seems as though smaller price drops won't sell it, and in Japan it's hard to see it selling all that well at any reasonable price point since it didn't sell very well just over $300.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Diomedes1976 said:

I see ,Resident Evil 5 ,Devil May Cry 5 ,Silent Hill 5 ,Gran turismo 5 ,Eye of Judgement ,Heavenly Sword ,Rise to Lair ,White Knight Story ,Hot Shots Golf 5 ,Final Fantasy XIII ,Final Fantasy XIII Versus ,The Last Remnant ,Bladestorm ,Metal Gear Solid 4 ,Pro Evolution Soccer etc arent out but Sony is out of ammunition because the remake of Ninja gaiden ,Folksouls (released at 20K units first week ) and Virtua Fighter 5 didnt push the system .Oh yes .

Good for you. Here is what most people who pay attention see:

Resident Evil 5: RE4 didn't break 1 million sold in Japan on Wii, PS2, and Gamecube COMBINED. Obviously RE5 will though right? The PS3 just magically changes everything.

Devil May Cry 5: DMC3 sold .35 million in Japan. Another system seller you got right there.

Silent Hill 5: last one didn't even break 1 million worldwoide. (are you starting to see a pattern yet?)

Gran Turismo 5: 1.10 Million on GT4, it's gotta chance to sell a couple hundred thousand systems in Japan at most.

Eye of Judgement: It's a card game. Yes, the Japanese like these but what do you expect out of it?

Heavenly Sword: They won't buy God of War, why would they buy God of War as a woman?

Lair: Japanese don't play flying games. Case in point: Rogue Squadron sold 30K copies in Japan.

White Knight Story: I'm sure it will sell as well as Folksoul

Hot Shots Golf 5: A casual golf game on a hardcore system, last one sold 1.34 million. Good luck with that.

Final Fantasy XIII and vs: Yeah, these will likely boost sales some. As I said it's dead weight till FFXIII.

The Last Remnant: See; White Knight Story and Folksoul.

Bladestorm: Becase the Japanese are all over war games. (Man i hope you understand sarcasm)

Metal Gear Solid 4: 3 sold .86 million in Japan. Man I'm enjoying this.

Pro Evolution Soccer: Last sold .92 million. This game sits around with Everybod'ys Golf as a casual sports game on a hardcore system. Games like Everybody's Golf and this have been replaced by Wii games like Wii Sports.

Most of these will probably be good games, but that doesn't mean they sell systems. As far as a price cut goes, Sony cannot afford that. They suffered HUGE losses to get it out at a reasonable price in Japan and to take a cut. What on earth makes you think that they have the money to cut it again in Japan? They'll be lucky to have the money to cut it in America and Europe. Japan has to be their biggest disappointment, with all the effort and money they spent to try and get the japanese to buy their system.

So whats your point ?

I know those games doesnt sell 4 million each (maybe FF or DQ ) .But those games will sell the console to the hardcore gamer and many casuals (Eye of Judgement ,PES ,Hot Shots ,Singstar that we didnt mention it ) and build an active fanbase that will buy many games each month unlike the casual crowd of the Wii .

And I repeat to you what it has been said before about price cuts ,if you cut the price you receive a 100-200 hit ,if you dont you dont sell millions of them and take a 500-600 hit by each produced .Thats pretty clear ,the thing is cut the price to push as many consoles as possible in households and then recover some money from royalties by both BR movies and games (third party ) and your own game sales.

They need a price cut before the fall season, so like late August/September.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Naznatips, I love your post. It's exactly what I wanted to say.

Did the PS3 already see a price cut in Japan? I thought it just started out at a lower price.

So whats your point ?

I know those games doesnt sell 4 million each (maybe FF or DQ ) .But those games will sell the console to the hardcore gamer and many casuals (Eye of Judgement ,PES ,Hot Shots ,Singstar that we didnt mention it ) and build an active fanbase that will buy many games each month unlike the casual crowd of the Wii .

And I repeat to you what it has been said before about price cuts ,if you cut the price you receive a 100-200 hit ,if you dont you dont sell millions of them and take a 500-600 hit by each produced .Thats pretty clear ,the thing is cut the price to push as many consoles as possible in households and then recover some money from royalties by both BR movies and games (third party ) and your own game sales.

You're not paying attention if you think the PS3 has anywhere near the attach rate of the Wii. The Wii is actually selling a lot of games, and many 3rd party games are doing extremely well on the system as well. Why do you think third parties are calceling games for the PS3 and putting them on the Wii (Katamari)?

The point is this: none of that software is going to drastically change the outlook for the PS3.  So far, the PS3 has consistently sold worse as more software has come out for it, so there's little reason to suspect all of those games will drastically increase sales.

Further, as people have pointed out: price cuts would have to be significant (not $100) to increase sales.  Sony can't do that -- not yet.  They've tested the waters at lower pricing and know it won't increase sales much at certain price points.  Sony has a limited range of motion, at the moment, and ultimately they're going to have to weather bad sales for probably a year yet before they can even consider really turning things around (and at that point it will still be an uphill battle). 

They need a price cut before the console dies.

End of 2007 Predictions:

Wii =18m

360=14m

PS3=7m

DS=64m

PSP=30m