By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Offensive DS game pulled

People are too sensitive. Oh no he called me a name.

Around the Network

What I can't believe is that ubisoft didn't bother checking whether something like that would be offensive, it seems kinda a silly mistake to me.

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

Yeap, Ubisoft needs to do a little more of market research

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Some people are idiots, and they get offended with that

That's crazy, it's just a game, before I got the job that I have now I spent 3 years working with people with mental disabilites and I think people shouldn't be so sensitive.

Around the Network

Being portuguese, I find this perfectly normal, both on Ubisoft's side, and on the people who found it offensive. Truth is, for us portuguese speakers of the world, curse words on one side of the atlantic can be perfectly normal, and sweet even, on the other side.

Yeah, people do overreact, they should understand the cultural differences, yadayada, but having a close relative with special needs myself, I too find this kind of stuff can be more offensive than cursewords. I'm not offended by it myself, but it'd be a big problem if a game called my relative a retard, or something similar she could relate to. She wouldn't be offended at all, but she'd definitly be really, really sad.

Reality has a Nintendo bias.

Most people who use words such as retard, spaz, etc. have no idea what "special needs" really means. Stephen Hawking has ALS which is a disease that cripples muscle control but leaves the gray matter and all critical thinking skills intact. Hawking is absolutely *brilliant*, but if you were to run into him on the street and not know who he is, you might be inclined to laugh at him behind his back, call him a retard, spaz, or some other variation. How many people do you suppose would be floored when they realized who he was and had an IQ that far exceeded the name caller? The point is, curse words are one thing. They offend people who don't like dirty words, but terms that describe personal affliction are horrendous and shouldn't be used, ever. I would even go so far as to say that "affliction" insults are 100 times worse that racial epithets. Don't use 'em -- Period. To each his own both in use and in offense, but the best bet is to just avoid the term altogether.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Is it just getting pulled in the UK then? Since they have a different meaning of the word? I'm pretty sure it would be fine here in the US...not that I would even pick up this copycat game.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

BenKenobi88 said:
Is it just getting pulled in the UK then? Since they have a different meaning of the word? I'm pretty sure it would be fine here in the US...not that I would even pick up this copycat game.
seems like it

One person's experience or opinion never shows the general consensus

PSN ID: Tispower

MSN: tispower1@hotmail.co.uk

this thread is totally lame.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick