By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Key Weakness of the Wii - Graphic Capabilites?

it's easier to sell a game with new graphics than it is to make a unique game offering created by talented people.

the ¨¨new graphics games¨¨ are created by talented ppl too and many of them r unique too

Around the Network

I can't believe this thread got past the first page. It keeps getting better and better.

@Rubang: But it was a good subject to discuss. No matter what for it was made in the first place.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

To myself, and many others. Graphics are a moot point, they got good enough in the 6th generation, and never once during this generation I have said to myself "Wow, those are cool graphics! I must get this game!". I've only took a risk based on graphics once, and even then it became a regret purchase.

The wii's graphics are awesome, I've never had a complaint. They deliver their message across nicely and allow me to get the most fun out of my game. I've played games from xbox 360 and PS3, and often become very frustrated at those games due to completely dumb reasons. I simply have a harder time having simple fun with games like Grand Theft Auto 4, because it feels although developers wanted to hide MANY flaws behind a smoke-screen of pretty HD graphics.

Are the Wii's Graphics a weakness? Not to this consumer!

Why must JRPG female leads suck so bad?

Wii Muzak doesn't rely on graphics and that is going to be huge.

PSN - hanafuda

Around the Network

So if Graphics are what matters why is the DS winning agaisnst the PSP?

Piracy can only account for so much as an excuse, in the end ingenuity and innovation will always trump graphical power. It's the elements and mechanics of a game that make it eternal, not its graphics. A game's replay value, it's challenge, it's fun, it's creativity, it is things like this which make Goldeneye 007 one of the most beloved games of all time even til today despite its place in the video gaming fossil record.

Graphics are a facet of a gaming with an expiration date and only as good until the next game with better graphics come along. That's not to say graphics shouldn't progress what-so-ever, however when said graphics come at an exponetionally higher price tag with each generation it begs the question as to how much emphasis should be put on them especially when it affects how the production is balanced.

What I was referting as an industry of followers and not risk takers as a weakness of the wii is the fact that due to the lack of data, the ammount of effort is never maxed in most cases.

Many developers are unsure if their game will sell well on Wii because there were no previous games released or the prior ones didn't sell so well to invest much more effort on it. They don't want to take the risk unless a good game comes and proves them. But when will that game come if no one is taking the risk?

That's not to say graphics shouldn't progress what-so-ever

No, you're quite wrong. Graphics should never progress. This is it now. The Wii has hit the point of graphical perfection and we need to go no further. lol.

But when will that game come if no one is taking the risk?

People in this thread claim that the Wii's shitty graphics will lead to innovation in other areas. Thing is, when an innovative title like Boom Blox comes out that makes a great use of the Wii Remote, Wii owners ignore it in favour of Mario Kart 94 and Zelda All Over Again. It sold what, 500,000 max with an install base of 30,000,000+. That's piss poor. If good games can't outsell shovelware then the Wii has a pitiful future ahead of it and that game you're telling people to buy in your signature will be the next huge sales failure. Someone even said in this thread that the devs are only predicting sales of half a mil. If that's true, then the core gamers are already abandoning the Wii so if you want more than games like "Toss The Pancake" or "Slice The Cucumber", you better look to another system to provide them.

@the bloodwalker: Nintendo is the risktaker that shows the way. How did Twilight Princess sell? Or SMG, MKWii, Brawl. None of the games i mentioned are the kind of games that would require special innovation, they just are quality-made games with well polished gameplay. And that's what the followers will follow. One of the ideas of releasing the big guns early, was to show software sales potential and create a userbase for specific genres (among with keeping demand high).

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

@horriblebastard: Considering the best titles tend to be among the best-sellers, i don't see your point.
Besides, would a game that the publisher openly states that the game is for 12 year olds and comes from a publisher that is known for its shovelware sound good?
Besides, Twilight Princess and MKWii are one of the best games this gen, so i'd find it odd if people would be buying Boom Blox instead of them.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.