By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Article: The Top 15 RPG Clichés That Need to Go Away

noname2200 said:
The first two are pretty rare, all things considered, and some of the others rarely rear their heads. I would enthusiastically agree with #1 though, just to mix things up a bit.

I would also propose an addition: don't give me ten-plus characters that are with me at all times, but mysteriously only permit three characters to fight at any given time. It's very annoying, and almost never explained. Do what Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger, and the first Star Ocean did: invent plausible reasons for why only three to five people are ever in my party at any given time, rather than just arbitrarily have over half my people sit idly on the sidelines.

The type of RPGs we are talking about are video games, it doesn't have to be 100% realistic.

Around the Network

Ones I disagree with:

12: Multi-stage boss fights:

They make it much more epic. Usually, you and the first form are pretty much even, but as it goes on, he gets tougher and tougher, forcing you to do the same.

Take Kingdom Hearts (SPOILERS AHEAD)

SPOILERS IN THIS PARAGRAPHLALALALALALLALALALALAA You fight Ansem (at least, who you THINK is Ansem) on the beach of Destiny Islands. He's pretty easy. Youmay need to heal once in a while, but if you have enough skill to make it this far, you'll take him down in no time. Then, after killing a Darkside, you fight him again in that massive crater, where he has all those AOE attacks, and that attack where he rushes you a trillion times, in ADDITION to the Guardian. Beat him there, and you feel a sense of accomplishment, but like you're only getting started. Then he transforms into a god-damn PLANET, and you fight him while flying. Then you land on him, fight some Heartless, rescue Donald and Goofy, and attack his exposed heart. Finally, in a twist of fate, when you get back in the air, YOU have HIM on the ropes, and you just annihilate him with everything you've got.

MUCHmore adrenaline in that situation than just tossing you up against Mr. Planet.

11: Fights you are forced to lose

While I agree it can be a pain to waste lots of potions against this 'incredibly tough enemy', and it's anoying to be kicking someone's ass only to have him pull out the Super World Destruction Spell of Instant Win +2, how interesting is a game where you ALWAYS win? And don't tell me that these fights should be relegated to cutscenes--I like to PLAY my games.

9: Destruction of a Home Village

You need a way to make it personal for the player, otherwise what's the draw to continue? Sure, we don't need the village burnt down in every game, but make it make sense, storywise.

Tales of Symphonia: The world is basically controlled by a hitler-esque group of mercenaries. You do something you're not supposed to, they make you pay for it by setting fire to your town. Once the fire is out, it's the townspeople that banish you.

Kingdom Hearts: A mysterious race of dark figures is eating the 'heart' out of EVERY world--yours is just number 27 on some list somewhere.

Knights of the Old Republic: (Using Taris as the 'home world') You are travelling with the Jedi who has the power to turn the tide of the war with the Sith. The sith in question doesn't like that, so he bombs the planet, thinking you're still on it.

Three variations right there of the same idea, but they are relevant to the story in COMPLETELY different ways.

6: Weapons that Can Only be Received After Meeting Very Specific, Secret Parameters
"Final Fantasy XII. The Zodiac Spear. Fuck you, Square Enix. Moving on."

If this can be used as an argument, I'm afraid for the future.

And most of all, #1--This guy has CLEARLY not played The World Ends With You. Neku doesn't give a shit about anyone but himself.

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

"6) Weapons that Can Only be Received After Meeting Very Specific, Secret Parameters

Final Fantasy XII. The Zodiac Spear. Fuck you, Square Enix. Moving on.
"

I lol'd

I totally agree with #1! It's probably the reason why I liked Lost Odyssey compared to some other RPGs I've played this generation (eh, not a lot of them).But still... there were 2 kids in the game...

It seems like the guy has a grudge against JRPGs concepts more than anything though. Why change a formula that works for anime/otaku/japanese fans?

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

SHMUPGurus said:
I totally agree with #1! It's probably the reason why I liked Lost Odyssey compared to some other RPGs I've played this generation (eh, not a lot of them).But still... there were 2 kids in the game...

It seems like the guy has a grudge against JRPGs concepts more than anything though. Why change a formula that works for anime/otaku/japanese fans?

Lost Odyssey has a mostly adult cast because it is aimed at older gamers than the typical JRPG. Blue Dragon, on the other hand, was made speficially for children.  A teen main character can be good though i.e. Sora from Kingdom Hearts

Around the Network

I probably agree most with #15, I don't like being limited in my level gaining or reaching a point where I get little to no EXP anymore. I like being able to gain a bunch of levels and skills so I knock around some enemies or bosses.

This is probably the only flaw of the Suikoden series to me, but it's other aspects more then make up for it. Chrono Cross was interesting because there were no levels and exp, just those stars. But at least you got stat boosts for fighting enemies.

I kind of agree about the one where monsters gain levels with you. It bothered me in Oblivion, but I didn't mind it in FFVIII and thought it worked well. ( because of the Junction System and the way Limit Breaks worked)

It was a pretty interesting read, though this list of clichés is a bit... cliché. I saw #1 coming from a mile away.

I agree with a lot of it, but absolutely not at all with the abolition of Cactuar style enemies!

The glorious Cactuar: here to stay.

I've never had a problem with the Teenage Protagonists, but that's probably because during the bulk of my JRPG playing  thus far, I was a pre-teen/teenager. So i "grew up" with it and therefore I am used to/accustomed to it. I'm sure if I started playing JRPG's at 30, then I would probably be put off a bit.

Soriku said

• I can't believe how unbelieveable RPGs are. But I guess that's what makes them awesoem :P All these lists wrang mostly on FF though
    if you see through them. I guess FF invented many of these cliches though :P
  •  

yeah they are pretty ridiculous, but that's why we/I love them.

these are video games, it is supposed to be escapism

I agree with pretty much everything except multi-stage boss fights. Sometimes they can be annoying, but they aren't so bad.