By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Russia Invades Georgia

Rath said:
"Russia, of course, will take its peacekeeping mission to a logical conclusion. We will strive for working relations with all participants of this conflict, and that, of course, includes the Georgian side," Putin said.

Ahh, so when your opponent pulls out of their own territory in order to get a seize fire and you keep on bombing them anyway and ignore all attempts at a diplomatic solution you are just striving for working relations.
Fuck you Russia, you have lost all moral high ground you possibly had at the start of this conflict. It's clear you don't give a shit about S.Ossetia and are just worried about the fact that Georgia, like the Ukraine before it, is starting to lean towards the west.

I also like this part:

"It is a shame that some of our partners are not helping us but, essentially, are hindering us," Putin said.

Love the sarcasm there... as if anyone would help Russia in attacking Georgia. But Putin is a former KGB thug, what else could we expect...

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Doesn't anyone find this incredibly hypocritical for Russia to defend South Ossetia?

I mean, just a few years ago, they had the same type of conflict - Chechnya wanted to break away and become it's own independent republic, and Russia bombed them back to the stone age. Why is it now that suddenly, Russia wants to take an active interest in helping these 2 locations inside Georgia, break away, when it took even more drastic measures than Georgia to force Chechnya into submitting to the Russian regime.

Oh wait...Could it be because Russia wants to keep as much power, and gain as much pre-breakup land as possible, and install as many puppet governments as possible?

Same old soviet-style BS.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Words Of Wisdom said:
colonelstubbs said:
How long before Team America is called?

We need to straighten out our own country before we worry about other countries...

Amen. Let the other countries deal with their own crap for a change. =)

@bardicverse: This is not other countries' crap, especially if Russia seizes the BTC pipeline.

Bush calls Georgia a beacon of liberty, and wants to put them in NATO (along with Ukraine). Furthermore, Georgia is the only oil route between Asia and Europe which doesn't pass through Russia or Iran. Read between the lines. This crap is global, and it marks a new geopolitical era. Russia has now shown that they're willing to stand up against NATO expansion.

Heck, you don't even need to read between the lines. Russia said this year that they would do everything they could in order to stop those countries to join NATO.

In other news, Russian troops are now advancing out of Abkhazia to Senaki, with the justification of "preventing the regrouping of Georgian troops".

Link 1
Link 2

By the way, interesting to read this April report in hindsight:

Russia cannot stop Georgia and Ukraine from becoming members of NATO, Organization''s Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said, Kommersant reported on 01 April.

http://www.unomig.org/media/headlines/?id=10401&y=2008&m=4&d=1

We'll see now if NATO meant that or not...

Around the Network

Even in 2006 there were already clear indications that this conflict could happen over Georgia's NATO ambitions:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6190858.stm

NJ5 said:

@bardicverse: This is not other countries' crap, especially if Russia seizes the BTC pipeline.

Bush calls Georgia a beacon of liberty, and wants to put them in NATO (along with Ukraine). Furthermore, Georgia is the only oil route between Asia and Europe which doesn't pass through Russia or Iran. Read between the lines. This crap is global, and it marks a new geopolitical era. Russia has now shown that they're willing to stand up against NATO expansion.

Heck, you don't even need to read between the lines. Russia said this year that they would do everything they could in order to stop those countries to join NATO.

In other news, Russian troops are now advancing out of Abkhazia to Senaki, with the justification of "preventing the regrouping of Georgian troops".

Link 1
Link 2

Depends on your view, of course.

I believe in the US withdrawing from NATO, the UN and all other alliances, then reforming allies individually with countries that can equally benefit from each other in economic situations, those that share similar interests. Those that are not allied can rightfully be invaded and taken over by force. That's just my view, of course.

bardicverse: "Those that are not allied can rightfully be invaded and taken over by force."

??

NJ5 said:

bardicverse: "Those that are not allied can rightfully be invaded and taken over by force."

??

think pre-geneva conflict, old school warfare. Instead of defeating an army and letting them lick their wounds, take over the country. Conquest.

I hope that Georgia's territorial integrity is respected.

No comment whatsoever on the conflict itself.