By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Russia Invades Georgia

Wow. Thanks for all the info on that one Bubbles...

Ok, I know Russia has entered Abkhazia, but what of Abkhazia troops? are THEY? pushing out in to the rest of Georgia?

Basically, while the conflict has become a war between Georgia and Russia, I'm curious to find out what's happening to to South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

Anymore news about Israël?

stof said:

Ok, I know Russia has entered Abkhazia, but what of Abkhazia troops? are THEY? pushing out in to the rest of Georgia?

Basically, while the conflict has become a war between Georgia and Russia, I'm curious to find out what's happening to to South Ossetia and Abkhazia.

I think they have.  They were planning to attack.  Whether they have or not i'm not sure.

Kasz216 said:
konnichiwa said:
NJ5 said:
mrstickball said:

Rumor has it that Israel has sent elite troops to help Georgia.

I hope that's not true... That's just asking for trouble right now...

I hope Russia and Iran are not good friend.

They're pretty good friends actually

Russia is one of Iran's biggest trading partners and the only thing keeping them from being better friends was Russias reliance on the west. This is going to force the west to put more pressure on Russia which in turn is going to push them closer to Iran.

Which is why Israel esclating it doesn't make sense... since Israel would want russia's ties to iran be weakened not strengthened.

Actually, Russia and Iran are not pretty good friends. There is evidence that Iran's Revolutionary Guards are training Chechen rebels in advanced terrorist techniques. The Iran-Russian relationship is mostly a relationship of convenience, and is a quite tenuous.

To be honest, this war has been brewing for some time. It was not really a matter of if Russia would become militarily belligerent, but a matter of when. Prime Minister Putin has a strong dislike for Georgia's President, and Russia knows that Georgia cannot further integrate into NATO if they have an unresolved conflict.  

stof said:

Yes, Abkhazian rebels attacked Georgia troops, and i know that there are Russian troops in Abkhazia but i don't know if they were part of the attack

Flow -"The important is to pwn other ppl"

Around the Network
StarcraftManiac said:
mrstickball said:
If anyone wants to see the horrors of war.....Liveleak.com has quite a bit of unedited, uncensored footage of what's going on.

Oh, and for those interested:

The story line to Ghost Recon 1 (for Xbox/PS2) is that Russia was going to attack Georgia in 2008. Crazy, eh?

Ubisoft is crazy awesome ... Lol.

On-topic; This could get nasty, although I don't reckon Israel is stupid enough to wage war against Russia... Especially with their close ties to the US... And for someone else who posted a few posts above; Turkey isn't going to react because 1; It has nothing to do with the territorial conflict(s) between Russia and it's break-away regions that declared independance after the USSR fell apart in 1991 and 2; Turkey is a full-fledged member of the NATO-alliance. So, as to react with armed forces to this territorial conflict would mean that the whole European union, including the US, Australia etc... Would enter in this military conflict, thus creating WW3. = Not happening.

I hope Russia will stop their advancements after they take control in the two regions and leave Georgia for what it is. Otherwise, they have taken of their mask. Although we already knew Putin is a dictator and is still actually in control of the country. And Russia will keep spinning the facts by saying their military reaction is a result of Georgian provokement, which of course is utter bullshit! 

If Turkey became involved (they will not), then NATO members would not be obligated to provide military aid. Article 5 of the NATO Charter stipulates that member states are obligated to respond only if a member is attacked. Since Turkey would be willingly participating in this conflict, no one would be obligated to send aid.

Jackson50 said:
Kasz216 said:
konnichiwa said:
NJ5 said:
mrstickball said:

I hope that's not true... That's just asking for trouble right now...

I hope Russia and Iran are not good friend.

They're pretty good friends actually

Russia is one of Iran's biggest trading partners and the only thing keeping them from being better friends was Russias reliance on the west. This is going to force the west to put more pressure on Russia which in turn is going to push them closer to Iran.

Which is why Israel esclating it doesn't make sense... since Israel would want russia's ties to iran be weakened not strengthened.

Actually, Russia and Iran are not pretty good friends. There is evidence that Iran's Revolutionary Guards are training Chechen rebels in advanced terrorist techniques. The Iran-Russian relationship is mostly a relationship of convenience, and is a quite tenuous.

To be honest, this war has been brewing for some time. It was not really a matter of if Russia would become militarily belligerent, but a matter of when. Prime Minister Putin has a strong dislike for Georgia's President, and Russia knows that Georgia cannot further integrate into NATO if they have an unresolved conflict.

Friendships of conveinence are the best kind of friendship... also the only kind in world politics

I mean... name two countries that are actually just friends because they like each other.

As stated Russia was somewhat backing away from Iran but will be pushed further towards them do to their own actions here.

Ah jeez.  Seems like the white house really isn't taking this well either.

I hope they sit back and leave it to the EU.

Chancellor Merkel is meeting with President Medvedev this week, so I imagine she will broach the conflict between Georgia and Russia. However, I highly doubt that the Europeans will act decisively. When Ms. Merkel inevitably broaches the subject, I am sure Mr. Medvedev will remind her of Europe's dependence on Russian oil and gas.

As predicted, of course that Russia was mad at USA helping transport Georgian troops home from Iraq:

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1996622

R

Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin slammed the West, saying it had mistaken the real aggressors for the victims in a conflict with Georgia over the separatist region of South Ossetia.

Putin, shown speaking on state television, singled out the United States, saying Washington was helping to bring Georgian troops home from Iraq.

In an emotional speech to senior government officials, Putin said some US politicians still had a Cold War mentality.

"It is a shame that some of our partners are not helping us but, essentially, are hindering us," Putin said.

"I mean ... the transfer by the United States of a Georgian contingent in Iraq with military transport planes practically to the conflict zone."

"The very scale of this cynicism is astonishing - the attempt to turn white into black, black into white and to adeptly portray victims of aggression as aggressors and place the responsibility for the consequences of the aggression on the victims."

Putin, a former president, also said Russia would take its peacekeeping mission in South Ossetia to a logical conclusion.

"Russia, of course, will take its peacekeeping mission to a logical conclusion. We will strive for working relations with all participants of this conflict, and that, of course, includes the Georgian side," Putin said.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

"Russia, of course, will take its peacekeeping mission to a logical conclusion. We will strive for working relations with all participants of this conflict, and that, of course, includes the Georgian side," Putin said.

Ahh, so when your opponent pulls out of their own territory in order to get a seize fire and you keep on bombing them anyway and ignore all attempts at a diplomatic solution you are just striving for working relations.
Fuck you Russia, you have lost all moral high ground you possibly had at the start of this conflict. It's clear you don't give a shit about S.Ossetia and are just worried about the fact that Georgia, like the Ukraine before it, is starting to lean towards the west.