By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Russia Invades Georgia

Seems like Russia is going back to some of their old ways, except of course that they don't call themselves the "Союз Советских Социалистических Республик" anymore.

Haha, that reminds me of the Simpsons episode -

The russians in the U.N. call themselves "The Soviet Union", and they laugh and change their nameplate while Tanks burst out of floats and hammer and sycle banners start being unfurled everywhere.

"Must...crush....capitalism....."

lol.

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2007/simpsons-soviet-union-p1.php

Around the Network

I'm just hoping that the story about Russia's bombing outside South Ossetia is false... How can the West keep a straight face if we allow that to happen? And what will happen if we help Georgia?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

WTF? Tbilisi being bombed :O

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/08/08/georgia.ossetia/index.html

Seriously, WTF are you doing Russia? This is pretty much the worst that could happen.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
colonelstubbs said:
NJ5 said:

Georgia v Russia: By numbers

Georgia
Russia:
Population
4.6 million
140 million
Army
Tanks
Fighter jets

Georgia might as well just lay down and surrender.

I guess the point is that this war is not about the fighting, it's about how far each side wants to go...

Prior to WW2, Finland kicked out the Russians by only using speed and small elite skiing teams. Numbers don't matter.

As for the current matter, hot damn this could either turn ugly real fast, or the Russians will go in, stamp on everything they deem not worthy and be out of their before either the UN or Nato can shout "Resolution". After which a lot of allegations will be thrown either side.

I lean somewhat to the latter

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

Esmoreit said:
NJ5 said:
colonelstubbs said:
NJ5 said:

Georgia v Russia: By numbers

Georgia
Russia:
Population
4.6 million
140 million
Army
Tanks
Fighter jets

Georgia might as well just lay down and surrender.

I guess the point is that this war is not about the fighting, it's about how far each side wants to go...

Prior to WW2, Finland kicked out the Russians by only using speed and small elite skiing teams. Numbers don't matter.

As for the current matter, hot damn this could either turn ugly real fast, or the Russians will go in, stamp on everything they deem not worthy and be out of their before either the UN or Nato can shout "Resolution". After which a lot of allegations will be thrown either side.

I lean somewhat to the latter

Actually, Finland lost that, but they did put up a good fight.

Georgia doesn't have much hope of succesfully defending if Russia wants to go further, but they can't just surrender.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:

WTF are you doing Russia?

what they always do...oppress and kill people.  others can talk crap about the US doing it all they want...  Russia actually does it.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

The U.S. is Allies with Georgia, but don't expect any kind of military intervention. We just can't afford that politically or even militarily at this point. Our army is stretched thin as it is. That is assuming we should even think about intervening in the first place...

Russia is at fault, but Georgia isn't blameless either. Russia has been providing the separatist region with military support, but Georgia was the first one to pull the trigger. The region has been at odds with Georgia for a long time, but they are pretty close to the capital, so Georgia's reactions are understandable.

Georgia is a small enough country that Russia knows it just can't throw its weight around without looking like a bully. That being said, there is little the rest of the world can do against Russia who is, as previously mentioned, a permanent member of the U.N. Security Council. Russia has been pretty mature lately and has gotten over its cold waresque attitude for the most part, so I am hopeful that there will be some kind of swift and relatively peaceful resolution.

Fuck John Bolton by the way.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

akuma587 said:
The U.S. is Allies with Georgia, but don't expect any kind of military intervention. We just can't afford that politically or even militarily at this point. Our army is stretched thin as it is. That is assuming we should even think about intervening in the first place...

Russia is at fault, but Georgia isn't blameless either. Russia has been providing the separatist region with military support, but Georgia was the first one to pull the trigger. The region has been at odds with Georgia for a long time, but they are pretty close to the capital, so Georgia's reactions are understandable.

Georgia is a small enough country that Russia knows it just can't throw its weight around without looking like a bully. That being said, there is little the rest of the world can do against Russia who is, as previously mentioned, a permanent member of the U.N. Security Council. Russia has been pretty mature lately and has gotten over its cold waresque attitude for the most part, so I am hopeful that there will be some kind of swift and relatively peaceful resolution.

Actually those "separatists" are in favor of South Ossetia joining North Ossetia under Russia's control and have been ever since the USSR disolved.  Also...

Russia and Georgia agree on delimiting 80% of their common border, leaving certain small, strategic segments and the maritime boundary unresolved; OSCE observers monitor volatile areas such as the Pankisi Gorge in the Akhmeti region and the Argun Gorge in Abkhazia; UN Observer Mission in Georgia has maintained a peacekeeping force in Georgia since 1993; Meshkheti Turks scattered throughout the former Soviet Union seek to return to Georgia; boundary with Armenia remains undemarcated; ethnic Armenian groups in Javakheti region of Georgia seek greater autonomy from the Georgian government; Azerbaijan and Georgia continue to discuss the alignment of their boundary at certain crossing areas

Words Of Wisdom said:
akuma587 said:

Actually those "separatists" are in favor of South Ossetia joining North Ossetia under Russia's control and have been ever since the USSR disolved.  Also...

Russia and Georgia agree on delimiting 80% of their common border, leaving certain small, strategic segments and the maritime boundary unresolved; OSCE observers monitor volatile areas such as the Pankisi Gorge in the Akhmeti region and the Argun Gorge in Abkhazia; UN Observer Mission in Georgia has maintained a peacekeeping force in Georgia since 1993; Meshkheti Turks scattered throughout the former Soviet Union seek to return to Georgia; boundary with Armenia remains undemarcated; ethnic Armenian groups in Javakheti region of Georgia seek greater autonomy from the Georgian government; Azerbaijan and Georgia continue to discuss the alignment of their boundary at certain crossing areas

Yeah, they are definitely very friendly with Russia and have been pretty much ever since the fall of the Soviet Union, but I am just using one of the terms most commonly used when discussing the region.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Georgia is the aggressor, 1400 people - dead. I hope Russia manages to lead to the removal of the Georgian prez, he's to blame.